DX Infrastructure Management

View Only

Tech Tip: ifType Rejection in NFA 9.3+ and Cleanup Procedure 

May 20, 2015 03:42 PM

Problem:

In CA Network Flow Analysis prior to version 9.3.0, NFA would perform a SNMP Discovery on a device and would insert every interface on a device into NFA.

In NFA 9.3.0 we introduced ifType Exclusion.  This was done to limit the amount of interfaces to be inserted into NFA.  The idea behind this new feature is that if the Interface on a device does not support Netflow that it is of no concern to anyone using NFA.

Prior to NFA 9.3.0 we would poll a device and insert thousands of unnecessary interfaces into NFA.  This would cause performance issues throughout the system because of the hundreds of thousands of extra and unnecessary interfaces being in the databases.

The ifType Exclusion feature introduced in NFA 9.3.0:

Object ifType

OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.3

Value     Type

1        Other

18        DS1

37        ATM

100       voiceEM

101       voiceFXO

102       voiceFXS

103       voiceEncap

104       voiceOverIP

134       atmSubInterface

Solution:

Going forward after upgrading to NFA 9.3.0 or higher, NFA will ignore these types of interfaces during SNMP discovery and refresh processes.  However interfaces that were discovered prior to NFA 9.3.0 and higher will still be in the database.

Here is a cleanup method you can use to remove these unnecessary interfaces from the databases.  This method should only be used if on NFA 9.3.0 or above or if you are running NFA 9.2.1 with the ifType Rejection Patch Applied.

Run these commands in this EXACT ORDER ONLY for a complete cleanup:

1. Mysql poller
    delete p.* from persistent_map p inner join interfaces_snmp i on p.routerid=i.routerid and p.ifindex=i.ifindex and i.iftype in (1,18,37,100,101,102,103,104,134);
    delete from interfaces_snmp where iftype in (1,18,37,100,101,102,103,104,134); 

2. Mysql reporter
    delete from interfaces where iftype in (18,37,100,101,102,103,104,134);
    delete from interfaces where iftype=1 and lastflow=0;

**Note we do not delete the ifType of 1 in the reporter.interfaces or the poller.persistent_map as Devices that have not had a successful SNMP poll will have a default iftype of 1 for all of its interfaces.  It is however safe to delete the ifType 1 results in the poller.interfaces_snmp as this table will only be populated after a successful SNMP poll.**

Official KBDoc: http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec1933521.aspx

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.