Service Operations Insight

View Only

How to add additional UIM CI Types to the UIM Connector Configuration 

Jun 30, 2016 06:32 AM

In addition to the provided Knowledge Base Article http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec1045374.aspx  you can find some more details about the process how to add additional UIM CI types to the UIM Connector Configuration in the following document.

The examples are based on the „processes“ probe monitoring „GoogleUpdate.exe“ (the name of the Monitoring Profile is "GoogleUpdate").

Step 1: Which CI Type do I have to add

Every probe is using different CI types in UIM.

You can find the type of a specific object by executing the following SQL query in the UIM database:

select * from CM_CONFIGURATION_ITEM

where ci_name like '%Google%'

The shown ci_type in this case is „1.3“.

Note: Sometimes it takes several minutes until the object is added to the UIM database.
Thus, if you just activated a new probe or added a new watcher, you might have to wait a while before you get a result of your search.

Step 2: What is the name for the CI Type

Besides a number, every CI type has a name, which is required in the Connector Policy.

Thus, the next step is to figure out this name, based on the number from the previous step.

This is done by the following SQL query in the UIM database:

select * from CM_CONFIGURATION_ITEM_DEFINITION

where ci_type = '1.3'

The shown ci_description in this case is „System.Process“.

Step 3: Update the Mapping-File

For every CI type that shall be created as a granular object in SOI, a mapping has to exist.

This is done in the mapping file  ci_type_mapping.properties  on the UIM Connector server, located in:

…\Catalyst\CatalystConnector\registry\topology\physical\<server>_CatalystConnector\modules\configuration

Add a line with the information you have collected in the previous steps to this file:

1.3=System.Process;Application

The last column shows the CI class that should be used in SOI.

Note: Be aware that this is not a direct mapping.

This is only a reference that works in conjunction with the Connector configuration file  Nimsoftconnector.conf  (in the same directory).

In the last part of that file you have a list of CI classes (SOI) that the Connector shall consider for granularity (see more details in the UIM Connector Guide, Chapter “Flexible
CI Mappings”):

<ns2:property name="OutboundFromConnectorTypes"
value="GenericIPDevice,ComputerSystem,HypervisorManager,Switch,MediaDrive,Application,VirtualSystem,File,Database"/>

Step 4: Update the Connector Policy

The real mapping of the new CI type is performed in the Connector policy  nimsoftconnector_policy.xml  on the UIM Connector server, located in:

…\Catalyst\CatalystConnector\registry\topology\physical\<server>_CatalystConnector\modules\policy

Add a line to the  <Classify> block of  <EventClass name="Item">  in this file with a pattern (regular expression) that maps to the name of the CI type and references the CI class that shall be used in SOI:

<Field input='class' pattern='System\.Process.*' output='eventtype' outval='Application' />

Note: Make sure you add this line in the proper sequence, e.g. the pattern can be evaluated in a way that no other pattern (for example  'System.*') is evaluated first.

Note: Only classes which are already covered by the Connector policy should be referenced.  For new classes, the Connector policy has to be enhanced.

Step 5: Restart the Catalyst Container

Following the updates you have to restart the "CA Catalyst Container" service on the server where the UIM Connector is installed.

Step 6: See the result in SOI

If all updates have been performed properly, you will see an Application object in SOI with the name of the monitored process, and Alerts will be attached to this object:

If you have further questions about this process, you can contact me at Michael.Boehm@ca.com.

Note: Major implementations and the addition of classes which are not yet processed in the Connector policy are outside of the tasks of CA Support – they should be handled via CA Services.

MichaelBoehm

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Aug 11, 2016 04:18 AM

Hello MichaelBoehm,

I would like to add Database CI Types to the UIM Connector.

I have followed your step by step but I still didn't see CI's for database exists on the SOI Console.

Can you please check my below configurations?

1. Nimsoftconnector_policy.xml

2.Nimsoftconnector.conf

3. ci_type_mapping.properties

Best Regards,

Okik

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.