DX Infrastructure Management

View Only

CA on CA Tech Tip - Enabling the CA APM Java Agent for CA UIM UMP (wasp) monitoring 

May 19, 2016 09:30 AM

Hi Infrastructure Management Community,

This is a quick technical tip on how to enable the CA APM Java Agent for CA UIM. This was not obvious to me when I first attempted it so I am sharing the critical detail that I had trouble with. This is related to the article on monitoring CA UIM at https://communities.ca.com/docs/DOC-231166481.

I am not going to cover the detail of actually installing the CA APM Java Agent. Those details are available starting at https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/10-2/en/implementing-agents/java-agent/install-the-java-agent/install-agent-on-target-computer. I am also not a CA APM expert just sharing what worked for us.

I do recommend using interactive installation if you have never done this before and using the following options

• Typical instrumentation
  • Tomcat as the application server
  • Using JVM AutoProbe for the probe building method
  • Manually configuring the CA APM Java Agent integration with UMP

You will need to know the server name and port of your CA APM Enterprise Management server.

NOTE: CA Unified Infrastructure Management UMP will need to be restarted as a result of this change

Once the installation is complete we need to manually tell configure UMP to work with the CA APM Java Agent

1. Login to the CA Unified Infrastructure Management Admin Console (can also be done using Nimsoft Infrastructure Manager)
  2. Locate the wasp hosting robot and select it
  3. In the right pane right click the wasp probe and select Configure
  4. Click the Setup then General tab
  5. Scroll to the Java Startup Parameters
  6. The Typical “Extra JVM arguments” would be “-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8”. At the end of this add -javaagent:"C:\Program Files\CA APM\Introscope10.1.0.15\wily\Agent.jar" -Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile="C:\Program Files\CA APM\Introscope10.1.0.15\wily\core\config\IntroscopeAgent.profile"
    1. C:\Program Files\CA APM\Introscope10.1.0.15\wily\Agent.jar is the path to that file which is a part of the CA APM Java Agent installation
    2. C:\Program Files\CA APM\Introscope10.1.0.15\wily\core\config\IntroscopeAgent.profile is the path to the APM agent configuration file
  7. Click Save after the change. This will restart the wasp probe
  8. After 10 minutes login to your CA APM Web View
  9. Select the Investigator tab
  10. Select the Metric Browser
  11. Expand SuperDomain
  12. Locate your hostname
  13. Keep expanding through Tomcat > Tomcat Agent until you see your metrics

APMWebViewFrontendUIMUSM.jpg

Disclaimer: I work for CA Technologies in the IT department in the Tools and Automation Group. However, neither can I share any insight into product futures (typically I learn of product changes when you do) nor can make the product management or development team change the product.

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.