Workload Automation

View Only

Tech Tip: How to run a 16-bit program using the 11.3.x SystemAgent. 

Oct 05, 2015 05:36 PM

Older 16-bit applications can hang the NTVDM subsystem in Windows when executed via the newer 11.3 SystemAgent. This results in an initial job run for a 16-bit application succeeding, while subsequent runs fail due to the hanging NTVDM. Hanging NTVDM processes must be killed before any “16-bit” job runs can again run to success.

All 16-bit applications are single-threaded but modern versions of Windows and the 11.3 SystemAgent are multi-threaded. In order to successfully run a single-threaded 16-bit application via the SystemAgent it is necessary to start the 16-bit program using the following syntax:

start /b /AFFINITY 0x1 <command>

The /b switch run the process in the background which is necessary to capture any stdout or stderr associated with the program execution.

The /AFFINITY 0x1 switch sets the processor affinity for the application which forces it to run single-threaded on a single CPU.

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Oct 06, 2015 08:04 PM

Hey Mark -- Thanks its like something that you and I just talked about on Monday, awesome!  I still am in a wonder of how there are still 16bit programs out there personally.  Love those Tech Tips!!

Oct 06, 2015 03:37 PM

one word.. amazing.

Oct 06, 2015 03:23 PM

I am sure some of you are wondering... yes, this concern has been brought up enough times that it now gets its own Tech Tip.

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.