AppWorx, Dollar Universe and Sysload Community

View Only

Applications Manager v9.3.5 Oracle database 19.16 configuration using SCAN RAC help?

Richard_Blumlein_8490's profile image
Richard_Blumlein_8490 posted Dec 11, 2022 10:08 AM
Hi everyone,

We are currently runnng V9.3.5 with a Oracle 12.2 database. The DBAs want to migrate this to a 19c
database running Oracle RAC. With Oracle RAC from what I understand there is different modes you
can run it in active/active load balanced, or active/passive. The DBAs are pushing this becaue
of the asbility to patch the databases without having to take things down. It would allow the
applications to be kept up when they patch.

I opened a support case on this. The support person has been very helpful but I guess I would
like to get the opinion of people in the real world if they are doing this. The support person
told me AM supports RAC in a active/passive mode but not active/active.

I saw this in action when we tried to migrate the database from 12c to 19c on the SCAN RAC system.
The awinstall ran nicely. I was able to start, and stop the instance. When I logged in I tried
to start the agents. They would not start. I was told by the support person this is one of the
symptoms of using RAC in a load balanced environment.

We found this interesting Broadcom AM article that matches our release exactly.

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/intelligent-automation/applications-manager/
9-3-5/Administration_Guide/Applications_Manager_Security/Defining_Database_Logins/Configuring_Oracle_RAC.html

I asked support about it. I was told this is more related to normal RAC and not SCAN RAC. It was still
helpful to the DBAs.

The DBA's changed the tnsnames for the new environment a 2 node SCAN RAC system. I tried to start
the Appman instance which hung on the RMI servers.

The DBA's asked me to update the web/classes/Options.properties file as per the tech doc I mentioned.

By updating the Options.properties I was then able to start the Appman instance. I was also able
to start, and stop the agents. This was great.

I then tried to connection check the appworx user datbase logins we had. There is the one you cannot
change type ORACLE but we also have a few others we use like appworx@<some instance> also type ORACLE.
The connection checks were hanging. Then I would have to kill the Java GUI process.

I tried to run the TEST_JOB that comes with AM. It kept failing on a launch error connecting to the
database. It was using the default appworx user we have type ORACLE. I then created a new login
appworx@<instance>_rac with type ORACLE_RAC. It uses the tnsnames connection type information for
RAC. It connection checked great. I changed the test job to use that login. It still got the
launch error.

I just tried to run a awinstall which failed.

ERROR:
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

SP2-0306: Invalid option.
Usage: CONN[ECT] [{logon|/|proxy} [AS {SYSDBA|SYSOPER|SYSASM|SYSBACKUP|SYSDG|SYSKM|SYSRAC}] [edition=value]]
where <logon> ::= <username>[/<password>][@<connect_identifier>]
<proxy> ::= <proxyuser>[<username>][/<password>][@<connect_identifier>]
SP2-0306: Invalid option.
Usage: CONN[ECT] [{logon|/|proxy} [AS {SYSDBA|SYSOPER|SYSASM|SYSBACKUP|SYSDG|SYSKM|SYSRAC}] [edition=value]]
where <logon> ::= <username>[/<password>][@<connect_identifier>]
<proxy> ::= <proxyuser>[<username>][/<password>][@<connect_identifier>]
SP2-0157: unable to CONNECT to ORACLE after 3 attempts, exiting SQL*Plus

The problem I have with modifying the Options.properties file is during the upgrades it usually
gets replaced. Running the cdinstall then calls awinstall which will probably fail when it tries t
o start components without the RAC change in place.

Seeing how my awinstall is failing I am at a loss for what to try next? The original suggestion
from support might very well be the one we need to fall back too. Running Appman in a single
database mode without RAC.

I found something new today. I was told with SCAN RAC we need to use the DNS for that in order to
get the fail over to work. I believe we need special parameters in tnsnames but also need to point to
a specific. DB IP for the awinstall, and the logins to the Appman database.

We got on a support call Friday with support. The support person was very helpful. The support
person told us we should not need to have the Options.properties entries. Support mentioned
he believes we need to setup SCAN RAC so the SCAN DNS entry is the listener. Then the
SCAN DNS IP will direct the traffic to the correct node.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the help very much.

Rich