DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Moving Database (MSSQL) to new Server and Upgrade

Posted Sep 20, 2022 08:13 AM

Hi!
    Since we are forced to use a MSSQL2014 or later with DX-IM 20.4, I have to Upgrade our MSSQL 2012R2.
    Well I could (hopefully) do an inplace-Upgrade of both OS (W2012R2) and the DB, but regulations of my company are forcing me to build a new Server
    I seeked quite a while in the KB, but found not real helpfull articles in this case.

I found an old Forum-Artefact, out of 2011 (or so), which told me
    Backup the NimsoftSLM (if I remember right that was the old name of the CA_UIM) and restore it in the new MSSQL-DB

Is that still all? No work on the data_engine part ?
    What if the Name + IP of the DB-Host changes?

Cheers

Matthias

• 2.  RE: Moving Database (MSSQL) to new Server and Upgrade

Posted Sep 20, 2022 12:49 PM
    We had a similar upgrade constraint issue and we were able to build the new server OS with new SQL, then detach the database from the existing database server and attach it to the new. 

We did that instead of the backup and restore because our database at the time was just over 2 TB in size.

The attach took a couple minutes because it had to upgrade some of the system tables in the database but nothing major.

Couple that with copying the nimsoft directory structure and a flip of IP address and the whole thing took about 30 minutes to achieve - most of which was the reboot for the IP address change to put the new server on the original server's address.

• 3.  RE: Moving Database (MSSQL) to new Server and Upgrade

Posted Sep 21, 2022 02:51 AM
    Hi Garin,

thanks a lot, that was helpfull and I can calm down :-)

cheers
    Matthias

• 4.  RE: Moving Database (MSSQL) to new Server and Upgrade

Posted Sep 21, 2022 03:22 AM
    Matthias

Keeping the original IP address/name is important as this is kept in several configuration locations on the OC server and CABI server as well as the data_engine probe.  We have move to using a MS-SQL cluster (always on) several UIM versions ago so now any OS or RDBMS upgrades are transparent except for the actual fail-over time.

Regards, Andrew

------------------------------
    Knows a little about UIM/DXim, AE, Automic
    ------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Moving Database (MSSQL) to new Server and Upgrade

Posted Sep 21, 2022 07:23 AM
    Thanks for your hint, I keep that in mind....

• 6.  RE: Moving Database (MSSQL) to new Server and Upgrade

Posted Sep 23, 2022 01:15 PM
    We also did similar kind of activity when we migrated to 20.1 from 8.5 just that we migrated from community edition of Mysql to enterprise edition of Mysql we migrated the old data to new Db and ran the installer , when installer asked about DB credentials and IP provide the new once if all port openings are fine setup should work fine.
    You may receive some Db errors in the start but those can be  sorted out with help of DB team.

regards
    Nijin