I have noticed that the data in the milestone burnup app does not seem accurate. The top line and accepted story count and growing each day despite me having a fixed scope of work. It took me a while to figure out what was going on. The burnup chart showed my scope growing by a few stories each day, even though I know I did not add any stories to the milestone. When I look at the revision log of the milestone, it confirms that no additional stories were added to the milestone despite what the burn up chart is showing. It was then I realized that despite the description of the burnup app saying it tracks stories, the actual chart is also including defects under those stories. I don't know if that is an intentional feature of this app, but I feel like it must be a bug. The scope of the work in the milestone does not increase due to found defects, nor does the app's description mention defects. Looking back on other discussion threads here, it seems like others were having this problem but never found the cause of the erroneous data. It would be great if Broadcom would take a look at this and fix it, or just pull the app from the tool.
Hi Mitch. Have you seen this:
https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/valueops/rally/rally-help/extending-rally-with-apps/using-rally-apps/app-catalog/milestone-burnup.htmlThere is this text in the Note: (bolding mine)
"The first story points are not the complete picture of the number of points in a milestone. The Burnup Chart includes a total number of points for user stories and defects associated to them regardless of what milestone the defects are associated to. The chart counts all defects which are associated to the user stories as well, even if they are not associated to the same milestone."
That does seem to suggest that what you are seeing is as designed.