Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  CAU in V12.3 prevents agent installation in V21

Posted Jan 25, 2023 11:44 AM

Hi Team,

I have a V12.3.9 system where CAU has been executed on some agents. When I clone, restore and upgrade the V12.3.9-DB to a new V21 system, it works fine with the V21 server processes, even newly installed V21 agents connect flawlessly with the server. BUT: the V21 agents get immediately and automatically downgraded to V12.3.8, because that is the release that the server knows. The server insists on up- or downgrading an agent to the last version of the CAU that has been executed on that agent. My first idea was to delete all CAU packages in V12.3 and than clone the DB. Well, deleting CAU-packages doesn't mean that they are gone. Parts of the packages still exist as objects in C0000 and they still appear in the dropdown list under "Upgrade Agent" (see screen shot below), even if I delete all CAU related objects in folder "PACKAGES". And even if the V21 agent doesn't get downgraded anymore, it's beeing displayed as a V12.3.8 agent in the system overview.

Does anyone have an idea how to get around this? How do I get rid of all CAU information the server stored "somewhere"?

Thanks

Christoph 

Screen shot of a system where the Windows CAU package and all related objects in client zero have been removed:

------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Automic AE Consultant and Trainer since 2000

• 2.  RE: CAU in V12.3 prevents agent installation in V21

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 26, 2023 03:12 AM
    Hi @Christoph Rekers

in the documentation on page ​https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/ALL/components/DOCU/21.0.4/Automic%20Automation%20Guides/Content/Installation_Upgrade/install_CAU.htm you will find the following statements
    • Once an Agent is configured for a Centralized Agent Upgrade (CAU), it is no longer possible to upgrade it manually. After changing the version of an Agent manually, the Agent (together with the ServiceManager) updates/rolls back to the target version defined.
    • Please contact our support department if you need help reverting the status of an Agent after a CAU or perform a CAU to the latest version to avoid continuously repairing the Agent. For more information, see Support.
    What are the values of HOST_TargetVersion in table HOST (https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/AA/21.0/AE/21.0/DB%20Schema/db/_structure/HTML/HOST.html) of the agents in focus?

• 3.  RE: CAU in V12.3 prevents agent installation in V21

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 26, 2023 04:22 AM
    Hi Christoph,
    after upgrading an agent with CAU Automic stores the version in HOST_TargetVersion and always restores that version if it detects a different version.
    If you want to manually reset the CAU information for agents then clean the column HOST_TargetVersion in the HOSTS table.
    Regards, Markus

• 4.  RE: CAU in V12.3 prevents agent installation in V21

Posted Jan 30, 2023 04:22 AM
    Thanks @Markus Embacher!​

Automic AE Consultant and Trainer since 2000