CA Service Management

View Only

CA SDM Loading groups pdm_load 

Sep 04, 2015 10:09 AM

"A group is a collection of contacts that represent a specific area of responsibility within your service desk. Defining groups lets you assign responsibility for resolving a ticket when that responsibility is shared among several individuals. For example, you might have a Dallas Human Resources group, which is responsible for dealing with personnel issues in the Dallas office of your organization. When an employee in that office has a problem, you can assign it to the Dallas Human Resources group for resolution. You can associate request areas, locations, and a work shift with a group to be used in determining when the contacts in the group can accept automatic assignment of a request." Administration Guide

"Groups and Contacts are held in the same table - ca_contact Group records in the ca_contact table have a contact_type of group" Jon Israel

The contact has your differences by type, what type? Group using code 2308.

Is it the only difference? For ca_contact, yes. For CA SDM, no, thinking about we can identify many things like group member for groups also end users therefore it's very important to know, what do you need.

Warning: "CA don't support the manual loading of contacts or groupsJon_Israel  comment

BUT::.The procedure documented here works.

The first thing what you need know: VERY Important! Using pdm_load can be destructive so always back up your database before you perform a pdm_load, and use pdm_userload unless instructed to use pdm_load.

Important! Make a backup copy of the database before running pdm_load with this option. After old database records are removed, you must restore the CA SDM database with this backup copy if you want to recover any deleted records, use pdm_extract for this procedure.

1. BACKUP

BACKUP COMMAND
pdm_extract ca_contact > ca_contact.txt
CA SDM Loading contacts pdm_load

1. BACKUP GROUPS

Extract - groups
pdm_extract -f "select * from ca_contact where contact_type = 2308"

2. Structure table

.Description

TABLE ca_contact

last_name contact_type

{"My Group name","2308"}

1. Create loading_group.txt file
2. pdm_load -i  -f loading_group.txt

SQL Commands - Groups

select * from ca_contact_type where ID = 2308

select last_name from ca_contact where contact_type =2308

Tiago Macul

CA SDM Loading contacts pdm_load

DEREF - pdm_deref - Everthing do you need know

CA SDM Load department using pdm_load - dept - ca_resource_department

CA Service Desk Manager Load Category using pdm_load - pcat - Prob_Category - User view Prob_Ctg Category.xlsx

Is it possible  to extract and load  group information

Was this information helpful? Give your feedback.

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Mar 08, 2016 10:54 AM

For loading group membership and any others data in SDM, I will recommend to use Web Services to not bypass the object layer and eventually create data inconsistency.

to manage group membership 3 method are available in the SOAP Web Services:

addMemberToGroup

getGroupMemberListValues

removeMemberFromGroup

Hope this help

/J

Mar 08, 2016 09:40 AM

HI Airu,

It's exactly this. Jon Israel  comments: says the pdm_load command its powerful and you can do many things with it. Using this procedure you'll create groups but nothing more, or be: the group member will be empty

Therefore after apply this documented procedure, you need load Group Member (grpmem) table.

The idea here is one step to start, unfortunately i couldn't do the second part, to load group members.

Regards

Mar 08, 2016 09:25 AM

Hi, Jon

Thank you for your help, Jon, it helped me a lot to understand how it works. I had confused me a little about this in specific table when just wanted to understand how the tool can interpret that want to create a new group without adding it to a particular user in.

Regards.

Mar 08, 2016 08:21 AM

Hi Ana,  we dont support the manual loading of contacts or groups, however there are folks that have gotten it to work successfully.  With that, let me clarify how this all works a bit.  Groups and Contacts are held in the same table - ca_contact.  Group records in the ca_contact table have a contact_type of "group" - declaring them as a group rather than a contact.  Now the ca_contact table does NOT hold the relationship between contacts and groups, as it is a many to many relationship, meaning, a contact can belong to one group or many groups, and a group can have one, or many contacts associated to it.  For that we use the group_member (grpmem) table to store the uuid of the contact in one column, and the uuid of the group in the next column.  This is fairly complex to do using pdm_load and thus the reason we dont specifically support doing so, however as I mentioned some folks have gotten it to work for them.  Any manual loading of data should be done in a test system first, and before its attempted, you should back up the entire DB, or at least the tables you are loading so that you can restore if needed.

Hope this helps to clarify a bit.

Thanks,

Jon I.

Mar 08, 2016 08:12 AM

Hello!

Reading this article, I was a little confused. This is the only way to load groups? And it seems to me, is a way to load the contacts from a previous load, so I wonder if there is another way to load groups and the only table for groups is ca_contact?

Regards.

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.