View Only
  • 1.  Better Query for Hierarchy of Epic/Feature/Stories

Posted Sep 16, 2019 12:12 PM
    Hello, 

I'm trying to get a query going to show me a hierarchy view of :

Epics
    Features tied to specific release
    Stories tied to those features

I would also like to be able to have an additional option of filtering the list so that I can show a stories tied to just one specific team.

• 2.  RE: Better Query for Hierarchy of Epic/Feature/Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 16, 2019 12:30 PM
    Hi Hillary,

You shall need to form separate queries to each Rally object with the filter criteria you need. Here is how you can work it out:

- To get the filters for a specific release you can query the /portfolioitem/feature endpoint with a filter such as:
    (Release.Name = "<Your Release Name>")

- To get the stories of these features you shall query the hierarchicalrequirement endpoint with a filter such as:
    (Feature.Release.Name = "<Your Release Name>")

If you'd like to further constrain the stories to also belong to a specific team/project, then you can extend this filter as follows:
    ((Feature.Release.Name = "<Your Release Name>") and (Project.Name != "<Your Team Name>"))

Lastly, I'm assuming epics are the direct parents of your features in the portfolio hierarchy. If that's the case and in order to get the epics of the features previously fetched (those matching a specific release) you can query the /portfolioitem/epic endpoint with this filter:
    (Children.Release.Name = "<Your Release Name>")

As you can see, you need to run different queries against each object with the filter tweaked to match the data model of each specific endpoint. That data model is shared in the WSAPI URL: https://rally1.rallydev.com/slm/doc/webservice/ . You can see all the endpoints under the 'Object Model'. Clicking each of them will show you the fields available for query of that endpoint.

Let us know if that helped.

Thanks.
    Sagi

• 3.  RE: Better Query for Hierarchy of Epic/Feature/Stories

Posted Sep 16, 2019 12:40 PM
    Can I put that all into one query?

Is there a better view to get me to a list like this?

Not tied to a query just really need to get that view in Rally.

• 4.  RE: Better Query for Hierarchy of Epic/Feature/Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 16, 2019 12:48 PM
    Oh.... my apologies. I thought you were asking how to form API queries for get these objects.

It sounds to me like you can use our Plan -> Work Views page to create the hierarchical view you're asking for. You can read about Work View here
    Essentially you can select epics, features and stories, then add filtering as you need to. I'm not 100% certain that your filter on release will apply only to the feature level, which is what you asked for. Can you give that a try and let us know if that helped.

Thanks.
    Sagi

• 5.  RE: Better Query for Hierarchy of Epic/Feature/Stories

Posted Sep 16, 2019 01:40 PM
    Hey there, 

I tried that view (again) :-) and it doesn't work for our teams, as it doesn't do the filter on the feature release.  I haven't been able to get a view/list that gives me this so I was thinking a query might be better.  Any other suggestions to get that view?  We just moved over from TFS and that was SUPER easy to get to in TFS and how we are used to managing our PIs.

• 6.  RE: Better Query for Hierarchy of Epic/Feature/Stories
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 16, 2019 01:57 PM
    Hi Hillary,

The one other thing I can suggest you try is an app called: "Custom List with Deep Export". It's available in the app catalog and you can add it to your dashboard.

You can then click the Edit App Settings, select your Type be Epic (which is the higher level), and enter a query string such as:
    (Children.Release.Name = "<Your Release Name>")

This shall then limit the epics to only those that have feature children that are set for that release. The app will show you the epics, while you can drill down and see the features, the stories etc...

You won't be able to filter on the stories' teams though. You can filter on the Epics projects cause you're app type is set to Epics, but not on the stories.
    Hopefully it's helping at least some of what you asked for.

Sagi