Symantec Access Management

View Only
  • 1.  Getting Sm_AgentApi_Init Failed error in webserver log

Posted Jun 21, 2016 09:53 AM

Hi ,

we are getting below errors in  Webserver  errorlog continuously and  web site is not accessible  getting page not found error , we have verified that there is no issue with agent registration , need help to find out  cause for the issue.

NO Other error except  below  "  Sm_AgentApi_Init Failed."  and  getting "500 errors in web server access logs"

[20/Jun/2016:10:59:15] [Error] SiteMinder Agent

Sm_AgentApi_Init Failed.

ff ff ff ff

[20/Jun/2016:10:59:15] [Warning] SiteMinder Agent

SiteMinder agent has encountered initialization errors and will not service requests.

Thanks

venkat

• 2.  Re: Getting Sm_AgentApi_Init Failed error in webserver log

Posted Jun 21, 2016 11:38 AM

Hi Venkat,

Sm_AgentApi_Init - Initializes the Agent API and sets up connections to the Policy Server

Below error indicates that the Web Agent was not able to connect to Policy Server.
    Sm_AgentApi_Init Failed

Was there any issue during web agent registration ?
    Is your policy server up and running fine ?
    if your web server is apache, did you check for any semaphore issues ?

Also please check for any handshake errors at policy server end (smps and smtrace logs)

Thanks,
    Sharan

• 3.  Re: Getting Sm_AgentApi_Init Failed error in webserver log

Posted Jun 21, 2016 11:53 AM

Hi Sharan.

Thanks for your reply.

There is no issue during webagent registration and policyserver up , we did telnet test to policyserver IP's and those working fine, if there any handsahke errors in policyserver logs can i know what could be the issue?( I have no access to those logs need to check with other team) and Recently our Firewall team had done some network routing changes is that causing issue?

Thanks

Venkat

• 4.  Re: Getting Sm_AgentApi_Init Failed error in webserver log

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 21, 2016 04:35 PM

Sm_AgentApi_Init ()
    Initializes the Agent API and sets up connections to the Policy Server. This function is called once per agent.
    Returns

SM_AGENTAPI_SUCCESS. Initialization succeeded.
    SM_AGENTAPI_FAILURE. Initialization failed.

This function is designed to fail only when a connection to the Policy Server is established, but the shared secret and/or agent name are incorrect. In all other circumstances, this function returns SM_AGENTAPI_SUCCESS.

I would suggest to dig up smps.log for matching handshake errors during the time, if found, it will confirm cause is shared secret and/or agent name mismatch.

Sm_AgentApi_Init() - CA Single Sign-On - 12.52 SP1 - CA Technologies Documentation

• 5.  Re: Getting Sm_AgentApi_Init Failed error in webserver log

Posted Aug 30, 2017 03:27 PM

Hi Hongxu,

I am also seeing similar issue as this.  Here's my CA community thread:

https://communities.ca.com/message/242003737-apache-web-agent-on-linux-vm-from-aws-fails-to-intialize-on-startup

I am hoping you can help me troubleshoot my issue from the AgentKey/Shared Secret perspective because I don't think a network communication between web agent host to policy server is the issue here for me based on the policy server smtracedefault.log entries showing the agent activities.

• 6.  Re: Getting Sm_AgentApi_Init Failed error in webserver log

Posted Aug 30, 2017 04:12 PM

Hi Hongxu,

Shortly after responding to your thread, I tried something different and with very little doubt, but surprisingly it worked.  So on my new Linux VM from the AWS cloud, there is no DNS so when I registered the trusted host, I used the server IP address of my policy server rather than the server host name.  I compared the SmHost.conf file of this new web agent to the many web agent hosts on our on-prem environment and the only difference is the policy server host entry.

So I modified the /etc/hosts file on the AWS VM and added IP address of the policy server and then modified the SmHost.conf file to use the policy server host name rather than IP addres - - > policyserver="ps.company.com,44441,44442,44443" then restarted Apache and amazingly it worked!

This solved my issue, but I am still curious why it would complained about the IP address rather than server host name for the policy server.

• 7.  Re: Getting Sm_AgentApi_Init Failed error in webserver log
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 27, 2016 09:31 AM

Hello Venkat,

Yes, network routing changes can also lead to these errors.

I would suggest to capture network traces between Webagent and the Policy Server and check with your network team if any data is getting lost in between.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
    Ashish Sharma

• 8.  Re: Getting Sm_AgentApi_Init Failed error in webserver log

Posted Jun 27, 2016 09:45 AM

Hi Ashish,

Thanks for your reply,  yes in our troubleshooting process we found that there was some network routing issue between webserver and policyservers , our Network team had corrected those after that we are not getting any errors and now webagents are working fine .

Regards,

Venkatesh