Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Autosys to Automic conversion

Posted Nov 08, 2019 03:05 PM
    Hello all,

I have been searching through the communities and documentation and found very little information on converting an Autosys environment to an Automic environment. I have a couple of questions on how this is done, what this looks like and if there is a conversion process or standard practices for completing this particular task.

So my questions are,
    1.) Does anyone know of or can provide sort of a step by step process for achieving a conversion from Autosys to Automic?
    2.)During the conversion, does Automic have a conversion process that allows for easy conversion or would it be a manual conversion?

Thank you in advance for your input,
    Genarro Montano

• 2.  RE: Autosys to Automic conversion
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 18, 2019 02:06 PM
    Hi,

This is usually managed by a dedicated team of consultant. But with the new organisation of Broadcom / HCL for the consulting they may have all fly away ...

Basically an Autosys conversion seems quite simple initially, using the autorep to extract all definitions from the DB. Then apply a selection of the relevant information that is needed to create an Automic object definition in XML format. And finally load the XML file into the Automic DB/Target client. That's the theory.

Now in reality you have tons of other information to consider : dependencies, machines, variables, user, authorisation, calendar, etc ....

So this is the reason why there was a conversion program available in the former Automic Software GmbH to do all that stuff, up to 90% sometimes (average rather 75-80%). The remaining manual operations were the very old things forgotten by everybody or a twisted use of Autosy to do something else than proper scheduling.

Good luck to you if you can put your hands on the conversion program, it will do most of the work. But I don't know if there is a conversion team available anymore to help you.

Regards.

Alain

• 3.  RE: Autosys to Automic conversion

Posted Nov 25, 2019 01:35 AM
    That's a good start mentioned by Alain & definitely we need to consider these aspects while doing the job conversions from Autosys to Automic.

However from the architecture perspective are you planning or thinking to use ACTIVE ACTIVE functionality of Automic with separate licenses for RA - Rapid Automation Agents (if required).

we need to consider or design the solution appropriately as AUTOMIC is majorly on Windows (as per my experience) hence transforming to Automic envt  (keeping Autosys architectural setup as is) is also a point of consideration.

Looking forward to this thread & Keep us posted with the updates.

• 4.  RE: Autosys to Automic conversion

Posted Nov 25, 2019 03:38 AM
    I suppose that you are saying "as Autosys is majorly on Windows". In my knowledge, Automic is covering a larger scope of plateforms and application than Autosys without being more used in one or another environment.

Concerning architecture, the main question is to know if you intend to use the full scope of functionalities of Automic or not. For exemple, do you want to use the SQL agent and convert all you Autosys jobs that runs SQL into Automic SQL jobs, using the direct connection to a DB. Same for jobs running FTP commands, etc ....

This may end to a totally different type of work. One is a "simple" conversion of existing jobs, passing commands exectuted by jobs in one tool to another one. Another option is a review and re-engeneering of the whole scheduling practices and processing sometimes.

There is other possibilities that may impact a conversion project but it would be a bit too long to go through all of them. And you need to have a good knowledge of the Automic features to see if they are important or not for you. I.e. the use of logical group of agents to run a job on a set of agents instead of dedicated agents, use of logical environments or clients in one single instance of Automic, .....

And last but not least do you plan to do a one shot migration or do an application by application migration, involving a synchronization mechanism between the two scheduler running simultenaously.

I hope this is clarifying a bit my answer about a migration processing. Be aware that this is usually a long term process that cannot be completed in a few weeks or months, except if you have only a few dozens of jobs to convert =-)

Regards.

Alain

• 5.  RE: Autosys to Automic conversion

Posted Nov 26, 2019 08:09 AM
    Hi,
    The conversion team remains.
    Regards