Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Automation Engine bulk change

Posted Oct 26, 2021 08:03 AM
    Hi all,

We are using CA Automic Workload Automation - Automation Engine, Release 12.3
    and have a requirement to change 1000's of process flows that currently contain one particular FTP object.
    The new scenario would be that those existing FTP objects would be updated to a new DMZ FTP object and an additional extra object added
    to
    Is this something that would be possible to do in some kind of batch script?
    Is this something that Broadcom recommends?
    Is there a recommended process to do this? AE DB Change to a Transport Case perhaps? Or exporting via XML and making changes there?

I raised a case and the feedback was...
    It may be possible to achieve this goal, by using the REST API feature. Importing json container with the updated definition of the target workflow with the POST method "/{client_id}​/folderobjects" will work, however working out the correct skeleton of the Json body will require to be familiar with this feature.

However, I don't think folderobjects is available in 12.3

If it's possible, does anyone have any thoughts on the best / most appropriate way to do this?
    Many thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Automation Engine bulk change

Posted Oct 26, 2021 03:06 PM

Could a different approach be taken like so;

(1) move the two tasks into a separate workflow to be used as a child task; It would need to be backward compatible and accept dynamic parameters as needed, and would be applied to the 1000's of workflows over time until they all use it.

(2) Then when you need to "flip" things over to the new method, you would only need to modify the one child workflow.

------------------------------
    Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 3.  RE: Automation Engine bulk change

Posted Oct 26, 2021 03:12 PM
    When I have used this method, I've also found it useful to have the alias-names of the tasks within the child workflow to be dynamically modified as well.

Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 4.  RE: Automation Engine bulk change

Posted Oct 27, 2021 10:03 AM
    "However, I don't think folderobjects is available in 12.3"
    I believe it is available, just undocumented in 12.3, its documented in 21.

• 5.  RE: Automation Engine bulk change

Posted Oct 27, 2021 09:03 AM
    thanks for your reply Pete.
    Wouldn't that mean 1000's of manual changes required to set up the child process for each workflow though?
    Whereas we're querying whether there's a way to update 1000's of workflows, either in part or as a whole, via some scripting or available mechanism

• 6.  RE: Automation Engine bulk change

Posted Oct 28, 2021 02:14 AM
    You can replace objects. I think it's an option in the context menu in the process assembly object explorer (don't have an ae by my hand right now).

So just a little manual effort is required that is applied to all workflows.

If you don't want to work with subworkflows I would mass-export and mutate the json definitions of the workflows. It's more straight forward than working with XML and would be easy to achieve with a small python script.

☎️ Swisscom Automation Engineer & 🧙 PE Membership Creator

Automic Kurse, Tutorials, Tools und mehr auf:
    https://membership.philippelmer.com/
    Zwei Wochen kostenlos testen!