CA Service Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to Revert request_status_change Form Functionality in CA SDM 14.1.0.02

• 1.  How to Revert request_status_change Form Functionality in CA SDM 14.1.0.02

Posted Mar 07, 2016 05:28 AM

Hi Team,

In CA SDM 14.1.0.02, the request_status_change form doesn't allow us to save if the current status is same as previous status. In earlier versions, it allow us to update the status and create an activity log even if the status was not updated. I want to revert to that same functionality. What changes do I need to make it happen?

Thanks & Regards,

Balram Singh Deswal

• 2.  Re: How to Revert request_status_change Form Functionality in CA SDM 14.1.0.02

Posted Mar 07, 2016 05:57 AM

HI,

if you don't need to change the status why do not use a log comment activity to write something in the activity log?

/J

• 3.  Re: How to Revert request_status_change Form Functionality in CA SDM 14.1.0.02

Posted Mar 07, 2016 06:04 AM

Hi Jmayer,

The client earlier was using 12.6 which is now upgraded. He wants that functionality to be reverted back. Users were logging activity by not changing status. Is there any way if we can revert?

Thanks for your response!

Regards,

Balram

• 4.  Re: How to Revert request_status_change Form Functionality in CA SDM 14.1.0.02
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 07, 2016 07:48 AM

This is now managed with the status transition in inc_valid_trans.htmpl form.

You may want to have a look there to modify as needed.

check for the preSaveTrigger function and the the lines below:

if(new_code && old_code && new_code === old_code){

show_response(msgtext("New_Status_needs_to_be_different"));

return false;

}

That say new release come with new features (I think this is the purpose ), client must be trained to use those vs. trying to do a step back re-implementing old behavior

my 2 cents

/J

• 5.  Re: How to Revert request_status_change Form Functionality in CA SDM 14.1.0.02

Posted Mar 07, 2016 08:12 AM

Thank you Jmayer!

Yes you are right. I will try to convince him to use the Log Comment feature instead of using this method. Anyways, I commented this line of code in inc_valid_trans.htmpl form. Now I am able to update the status without changing it, but the description in the log is coming as "Status changed from 'Acknowledged' to 'Acknowledged'" instead of the description I am giving. But if I am actually changing the status, the log activity is taking the customised description. What needs to be done if I want to use the customised description in case I don't update the status?

Regards,

Balram

• 6.  Re: How to Revert request_status_change Form Functionality in CA SDM 14.1.0.02

Posted Mar 07, 2016 08:26 AM

Continue to have a look  in this pre save trigger,

you will see some code around the description and the talkback code. you may want to adapt to avoid the talkback in your case by adding the  bold below.

Not in front of  a server to test now but give it a try and let us know.

/J

if (descLength > 0 || new_code != old_code)

opnr.talkback[new_code] = "$args.status";   // saving arbitrary data

else

opnr.talkback[new_code] = null;   // saving arbitrary data

• 7.  Re: How to Revert request_status_change Form Functionality in CA SDM 14.1.0.02

Posted Mar 07, 2016 09:07 AM

Hi Jmayer,

I have added the above condition as you suggested. But now, it is showing that activity log is created but the log is actually not showing in the request detail page. Even the out of box update log that "Status changed from 'Acknowledged' to 'Acknowledged'" has stopped appearing.

I tried updating the condition also but they are not helping.

Kindly suggest.

Regards,

Balram

• 8.  Re: How to Revert request_status_change Form Functionality in CA SDM 14.1.0.02

Posted Mar 07, 2016 09:14 AM

sorry not in front a instance now so I can debug for you at this time. you will have to play a little around there.

May I get sometime back I will have a closer look

/J

• 9.  Re: How to Revert request_status_change Form Functionality in CA SDM 14.1.0.02

Posted Mar 08, 2016 12:31 PM

Hi Jmayer,

Kindly provide the code that will update the description in the log comment if status is not updated. The above code was not working in the test environment.

Thanks & Regards,

Balram

• 10.  Re: How to Revert request_status_change Form Functionality in CA SDM 14.1.0.02

Posted Dec 22, 2016 07:55 AM

HI Balram,

catching up on this old one..

did you finally make it work?

Let us know may we need a second look at it.

/J