Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Rally API Key generation

Posted Apr 21, 2017 10:49 AM

I am trying to generate rally api key using the below url https://rally1.rallydev.com/slm/webservice/v2.0/security/authorize . However, everytime i hit this url, i am being prompted to enter my username and password. How do i get the credentials ? Is it not same as my ca portal login credential?

• 2.  Re: Rally API Key generation

Posted Apr 21, 2017 02:12 PM

First, log into Agile Central at rally1.rallydev.com, using the credentials that you want the API key to be created under (the API key get's its access privileges from the user account that creates the key).  Then access the following URL: https://rally1.rallydev.com/login/accounts/index.html#/keys .  This is the Rally application manager. It will use your current Agile Central session as the authenticated user account.

In my company, we have a least privileged user policy so I create a special user account that only has the privileges needed for that API key, then I log in with that account and create an API key with it.  The API key will not be able to access anything outside the scope of its user credentials.  If I need to expand the API key's privileges or Disable it, I just do that by editing the user account associated with the API key. Note that the Sub Admin can see ALL API keys that have been generated but the user account will only see the ones that are created under that particular user account.

Hope that helps.

• 3.  Re: Rally API Key generation

Posted Apr 21, 2017 02:35 PM

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your response. I tried logging into the portal using the url you have provided(rally1.rallydev.com). I tried with my company provided rally login credential ,which did not let me in. I also, tried with the user id and password that is pertaining to the user account, that i created at ca  community portal(not sure if these credentials might take sometime to work, since the mail that i received mentioned that it might take 24-48 hours to get full access). Anyways, thanks for your help.

Will try again in couple of days and keep you posted, in case of any issues.

• 4.  Re: Rally API Key generation

Posted Apr 21, 2017 02:58 PM

Hi acbharath141988,

It sounds like you are trying to use Security Tokens, not APIKey. A call to /security/authorize endpoint will return a security token, which requires basic authentication credentials to be sent with the request. You will need to use an account from  CA Agile Central . The CA community portal credentials are completely separate from CA Agile Central. If you do not have a CA Agile Central account you should reach out to your internal team to find a subscription administrator that can add you.

Here is a Knowledge Article that describes APIKey and Security Token.

Once you have a CA Agile Central login please review the WSAPI documentation also.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Sean Davis