Symantec Access Management

View Only
  • 1.  Multiple Policy Server version in same Linux machine

Posted Jul 20, 2016 02:57 AM

This is on behalf of : Gaurav Singhal

"I am trying to install additional (latest) policy server in linux machine where there is an existing policy server which is older version. I am using new user to install it but getting some error.

Can we install multiple SM policy servers in a single machine i.e. linux."

• 2.  Re: Multiple Policy Server version in same Linux machine

Posted Jul 20, 2016 06:58 PM

Hi Gaurav Singhal,

I could not find any official statement with regards to installing multiple policy server on the same linux box.

However, based on my own experience, in general installing multiple instances of Policy server on the same linux box is fine as long as you do not run them simultaneously.

One of the problem that I am aware of while running it simultaneously is , policy server creates pipes under /tmp folder which might create conflict if you run multiple instances.

But you said you were getting some error during the install , what exactly the error is ?

Regards,

Ujwol

• 3.  Re: Multiple Policy Server version in same Linux machine

Posted Jul 21, 2016 10:54 AM

Hi Ujwol,

After providing the JRE path, I am getting below message. The existing Policy Server is running and below is the path /app/CA/siteminder.

Required variables not found.
    -----------------------------

Variables required for installation were not found in the environment or in a
    properties file.

Please source the environment scripts before running the Installation Wizard
    during an Upgrade. If you are upgrading from R12 or above versions, Please
    source your '.profile' or 'siteminder/ca_ps_env.ksh' If you are upgrading from
    R6, please source your '.profile' or 'siteminder/nete_ps_env.ksh'

PRESS <ENTER> TO ACCEPT THE FOLLOWING (OK):

Regards,

Gaurav

• 4.  Re: Multiple Policy Server version in same Linux machine

Posted Jul 22, 2016 03:12 AM

It's identifying it as upgrade, rather than fresh install. Try installing as a different user than the one currently running the policy server.

• 5.  Re: Multiple Policy Server version in same Linux machine

Posted Jul 22, 2016 08:55 AM

I am using different user for installing the new version of policy server 12.52 SP1.

• 6.  Re: Multiple Policy Server version in same Linux machine

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 22, 2016 09:10 AM

So be sure that the environment variables aren't shared between users. For example, if you put the envrionment variables for the Policy Server in /etc/profile or a file in /etc/profile.d/, then all users will have the problem.

Best Regards,

Patrick

• 7.  Re: Multiple Policy Server version in same Linux machine

Posted Jul 22, 2016 12:15 PM

I am not sure which required variables not found. And for profiling it's talking about Upgradation.

• 8.  Re: Multiple Policy Server version in same Linux machine
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 25, 2016 04:21 AM

Hi Gaurav,

It talks about upgrade because it detects /var/.com.zerog[...] hidden file. When this file is detected, then the installer asks you to have the Policy Server envrionment variable set already. You might try to remove that file and install again. But for all those reasons, even if there might be a way to install several Policy Server versions, the product hasn't been designed for that purpose. Please open an idea to get that functionality implemented.

Post and Vote On Ideas in the CA Security Community!

you need to get the product enhanced for installing and running several Policy Servers versions or instances on the same machine.

Best Regards,

Patrick