Plex 2E

View Only
  • 1.  Does anyone have a working example of an output variable "As Returns" (not As Output)?

Posted Sep 07, 2015 11:14 AM

Variables can be Input, Local, Output and Returns. The CA Manual reads, "Returns variable (definition): A variable that contains a function's returned parameters. A function can have multiple returns variables each of which can contain no more than one field. Returns variables work in the same way as output variables, except that they support additional forms of syntax in the action diagram. Specifically, you can embed a call to a function with a returned parameter in an expression. This enables you to call the function and assign the returned parameter with a single action diagram Set statement."

Does anyone have an example of using Returns instead of Output?

• 2.  Re: Does anyone have a working example of an output variable "As Returns" (not As Output)?

Posted Sep 07, 2015 01:18 PM

Lou -

Look at the Plex Help "Calling Methods in the Action Diagram" . There is an example using COM import :

Set Local<ExcelVersion> = Local<MyExcelApp>._Application.get_Version()/Returns<Excel._Application.get_Version.RHS>

Return Variables are used for COM imported Controls and Webservices.

HTH

Lorenz

• 3.  Re: Does anyone have a working example of an output variable "As Returns" (not As Output)?

Posted Sep 07, 2015 01:54 PM

Hi Lou,

Look up 'Syntax 3 - Embedded Function Calls'  in plex help and you will see how I have used this method of calling and set in one action diagram statement. They are fun but others have accused me of playing using them as it is harder for beginners or indeed anyone to know what you are doing!

Here is the example of how I use them RE: Retrieve field value name for C++? - revisited

I even got them fixed see Plex 6.1 Upgrade issues with Embedded Calls

Enjoy

• 4.  Re: Does anyone have a working example of an output variable "As Returns" (not As Output)?

Posted Sep 14, 2015 10:46 AM

Was this of help? 

• 5.  Re: Does anyone have a working example of an output variable "As Returns" (not As Output)?

Community Manager
    Posted Sep 17, 2015 03:10 PM

Lou -- did the suggestions that Lorenz and George made help you? Could you let us know?