DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Legacy User

Legacy UserJun 13, 2016 01:56 PM

• 1.  UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Jun 07, 2016 11:27 AM

I see how to turn on Compute Baseline for individual metrics on individual servers in the Admin Console, but how do I set them up for a large set of metrics on all robots?  I can't find it on the Monitoring tab in UMP.

• 2.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 07, 2016 11:41 AM

Currently, there's no way to do this en masse easily.

I suppose you might be able to automate/script it somehow using the command-line functionality of baseline_engine which is documented here:

baseline_engine Configuration - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentation

Otherwise, I have heard that the functionality to do this through the Monitoring tab will be coming in the future.

• 3.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Jun 08, 2016 01:14 PM

Thanks, Jason.  It says I need to create a file of the format  of baseline.cache, but I searched my entire Primary Hub for such a file and found none.  The documentation has no definition of this format either that I could find.  Anyone have an example of this file?

• 4.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Jun 09, 2016 03:44 AM
    • Example of a working command:

java -cp .;lib/* com.nimsoft.threshold.cmd.BaselineSetter -user
    administrator -pwd *** -probe
    /bgbulab39_domain/bgbulab39_hub/bgbulab39/baseline_engine -o add

-id ME147C9DD6518F925F14FB1469F76F28A

• The metid can be found with a query like:

SELECT qd.source, qd.qos, qd.target, qd.r_table, qd.table_id,
    qd.ci_metric_id, qd.probe, qd.origin, ci.ci_name, cid.ci_type,
    cid.ci_description

FROM cm_configuration_item_definition cid,

cm_configuration_item_metric cim, s_qos_data qd,

cm_configuration_item ci, cm_device d, cm_computer_system cs

WHERE cs.cs_id = d.cs_id AND d.dev_id = ci.dev_id

AND cim.ci_metric_id = qd.ci_metric_id AND ci.ci_type = cid.ci_type

AND ci.ci_id = cim.ci_id and qd.qos = 'QOS_NET_CONNECT'

ORDER BY cid.ci_description,qd.probe,qd.qos,qd.target,qd.source

• 5.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Sep 26, 2016 11:25 PM

Hi Luc,

I have tried the command to add baseline to a single QOS, I got no error, but no baseline too in UMP. How to verify if the configuration works? I have checked in metricset.txt file, and found the metric ID that I just added, but no baseline value appear..

Regards,

Yan

• 6.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Sep 27, 2016 12:45 AM

Hi,

You must give baseline some time to do his calculations.  Normally a first one is done after an hour and the results are written in the BN_QOS_DATA_XXXX tables.

Regards, Luc

• 7.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Sep 27, 2016 01:04 AM

Hi Luc,

Yes, it's been more than one hour since I configure the baseline, but still no baseline data.

How to check the data in BN_QOS_DATA_XXXX tables? I have tried to query from DB, but no data appear

Regards,

Yan

• 8.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Jun 09, 2016 04:02 AM

• 9.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 13, 2016 01:22 PM

I've discussed this with our development team and we found that the documentation is incorrect.  The correct filename should be "metricset.txt" instead of baseline.cache -- we'll get the docs corrected today.

The metricset.txt file will appear after you have manually configured at least one baseline and can be found in /probes/slm/baseline_engine/cache_dir/ .

probes/slm/baseline_engine/cache_dir

• 10.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 23, 2016 03:22 PM

online documentation still references to baseline.cache file.

• 11.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Jun 13, 2016 01:27 PM

Thanks...I see metrics.txt.zip and threshold.cache.zip, but when I try to open them, Windows says they are invalid files.  Opening them in

• 12.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 13, 2016 01:31 PM

Try using 7-Zip.  Something is tickling the back of my brain saying that might work.

• 13.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Jun 13, 2016 01:42 PM

Why isn't the format documented if the docs say "use this format"?

• 14.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Jun 13, 2016 01:56 PM

7-zip does work...thanks

• 15.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Jul 15, 2016 01:40 PM

The script I built from the information Luc Christiaens provided has been building our baselines for the past month.  We are now ready to turn on Dynamic Alarms and set thresholds.  Is there a similar command I can use to do that?

• 16.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 15, 2016 07:46 PM

Yes, the is a similar command to enable dynamic alarms and set thresholds from the command line.  It can be found on the same Wiki page where the command to activate baselines is located.  The threshold command is as follows:

java -cp ".;lib/*" com.nimsoft.threshold.cmd.ThresholdSetter -user <user> -pwd <password> -probe <probepath> -id <metric id> -threshType <static | dynamic> -type <percent | scalar | stddev> -o <operator> [-operator1 <operator> | -operator2 <operator> | -operator3 <operator> | -operator4 <operator> | -operator5 <operator>] [-level1 <value> | -level2 <value> | -level3 <value> | -level4 <value> | -level5 <value>] -subsysId <subsysId> [-customAlarmMessage <message>] [-customClearAlarmMessage <message>] [-queue]

Check the WIki page for a detailed explanation of the use of this command:

baseline_engine Configuration - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentation

• 17.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Jul 15, 2016 08:18 PM

The wiki page says "stdev", which is wrong.  It is "stddev", as in Kathy's example.

• 18.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Jul 16, 2016 05:21 AM

Example of a working threshold:

java -cp .;lib/* com.nimsoft.threshold.cmd.ThresholdSetter -user administrator -pwd xx -probe /bgbulab47_domain/bgbulab47_hub/bgbulab47/baseline_engine -o GE -level1 110.0 -level2 120.0 -level3 130.0 -level4 140.0 -level5 150.0 -threshType static -type percent -subsysId 1.1.1.3 -queue -id M7DBBA46A4A38C695D05FBB2CA2D48603

note: you could use the baseline Perl to generate these commands like it needs the same id.

• 19.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Sep 23, 2016 03:21 PM

Next step we need to do is set Time Over Threshold.  I can't see any references in the documentation to do that any way other than in the GUI.  Are there java or other command-line options for setting this?

• 20.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 23, 2016 03:24 PM

At this time the only way is in the GUI.

In the future (I do not know exactly when) I do believe that we plan to add TTT/ToT to the bulk configuration options available through USM, but for now there is no bulk option unfortunately.

• 21.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Sep 23, 2016 03:34 PM

OK, which config file does it get put in?  Maybe I can figure out how to create the entries manually.

• 22.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 23, 2016 03:43 PM

These entries should be stored in a file called rule_config.xml in the alarm_enrichment probe directory.

• 23.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Sep 23, 2016 04:10 PM

That looks very doable.  Thanks!

• 24.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Sep 23, 2016 04:15 PM

But one other question....It is called "Enable Dynamic Time Over Threshold".  That begs the question:

"Does this only relate to threshold alarms, or does it also relate to Dynamic alarms?

• 25.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Sep 24, 2016 04:19 AM

I believe that you can do it (ToT rule) with a command like:

PU -u administrator -p *** -d 0 /bgbulab47_domain/bgbulab47_hub/bgbulab47/alarm_enrichment set_tot_rule "M7DBBA46A4A38C695D05FBB2CA2D48603:1.5" "1" "600" "1800" "1" "300"

• 26.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Sep 26, 2016 01:21 PM

Thanks, Luc!  Will give that a try.

• 27.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Dec 08, 2016 03:23 AM

Next step: we want to do both a dynamic threshold and a static threshold.  Currently, either will fire an alarm, but we only want an alarm to fire if both criteria are met.  For example, we want to fire a CPU alarm if it is more than 3.5 standard deviations above the mean *and* CPU utilization is > 80%. 

Thanks!

• 28.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Dec 08, 2016 11:26 AM

I have that same need. I've configured baseline for disk, but haven't turned on the thresholds, but when I do, I'm going to need the static and dynamic thresholds linked together.  Alone, neither will be sufficient.  I've received a suggestion to set up this up using the auto-operator rules in NAS, but I haven't worked on that yet:

https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/en/alphabetical-probe-articles/nas-alarm-server/nas-im-configuration/the-nas-auto-operator-tab

• 29.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Dec 08, 2016 11:57 AM

Thanks, rcarter.  Did they send you any examples of how best to do that in nas?  The documentation is pretty short on examples

• 30.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Dec 08, 2016 12:07 PM

No, in general, the documentation lacks good examples.  Perhaps someone has an example to share?

• 31.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted Dec 08, 2016 12:12 PM

Often, it is like having an instruction book telling you every detail about every nut, bolt, board, etc, and not telling you at all how to put the piece of furniture together.

• 32.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Posted May 05, 2017 12:56 PM

Since asking this question, I have moved on to a new installation--many hubs.

1) Does baseline_engine care what hub a given metric came from?  (I'm thinking no.)
    2) If I turn a metric on in baseline_engine on a given hub via a script, do I have to set thresholds and ToT for that metric using the same hub?  (IOW, do I have to keep a mapping of metric_ID -> hub?)
    3) If I don't match up the hub that manages the robot with the hub that runs baseline_engine, will that affect whether the probe GUI in adminconsole will show the Compute Baseline check box, etc?

• 33.  Re: UIM 8.4 Baselines--how to set up baseline computation across the board

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 08, 2017 05:58 AM

Hello.

- baseline_engine do not care where a metric comes from.

- metric ID is determined by monitoring probe, no relation to hub.

- All the data baseline_engine is managing can be found in <baseline_engine>/cache_dir/*, which is technically portable in any of baseline_engine probe instance.

Regards,

Yu Ishitani