Symantec Access Management

View Only
  • 1.  SSO Web Service Agent r12.52 SP1

Posted Aug 09, 2016 04:01 PM

I am currently running SiteMinder r12.52 SP1. I have SiteMinder Web Agent installed on a Windows platform with IIS 7.0. Recently received a new requirement to protect a Web Service resource. After reviewing the documentation for SiteMinder Web Agent and SiteMinder Web Service Agent I am not finding anything that indicates the two can co-exists. I believe the documentation states that the Web Agent is part of the WSS agent. If that is correct, I believe I would uninstall the web agent, install WSS agent and reconfigure existing policy that uses the web agent to the new WSS agent. Is this correct? What is best practice where one would need to utilize WSS when an existing web agent is installed?

• 2.  Re: SSO Web Service Agent r12.52 SP1
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 09, 2016 06:33 PM

Hi Mike,

You are correct, it will not be good idea to install two on the same machine.

I will suggest go over the Web Services Security Guides, maybe you already have,  Since you uses IIS, check out this link:CA SiteMinder® Integrated Documents 12.52 SP1

Web Services Security GuidesCA SiteMinder® Web Services Security Agent Guide for IIS Web Servers

As I understand WSS agent was formally SOA agent, it was designed specifically for protecting web services, mixing the two can causes compatibility problems since the request types are different.

Thanks,

Hongxu

• 3.  Re: SSO Web Service Agent r12.52 SP1

Posted Aug 09, 2016 07:10 PM

Hi Hongxu

Thanks for the reply. I referred to the document. It seems to be more specific with web service requests versus http requests. Is there a best practice when one has two requirements (WSS and web agent) to service these requests on two servers, WSS server and Webagent server?

• 4.  Re: SSO Web Service Agent r12.52 SP1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 15, 2016 03:14 PM

The WSS Agent is the regular web agent plus functionality to handle web service requests.  See the WSS Guide for information about web service requests functionality.  See the Weg Agent Guide for information on the web agent functionality.

You should only have one or the other installed on a server.