DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Can UIM monitor JVM Crashes, Java heapsize, business transactions

Posted Nov 09, 2020 07:22 AM
    Hi Team,

Need to know if dx IM can monitor below item.
    1) JVM Crashes
             : As i know we can monitor by using logmon probe. is there any option that we can monitor this metrics.

2) Heapsize
             : Can we monitor this kind metrics?

3) Business Transaction
             : Can UIM monitor Business Transaction?

• 2.  RE: Can UIM monitor JVM Crashes, Java heapsize, business transactions

Posted Nov 09, 2020 11:48 AM
    see the jvm_monitor metrics page:
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/GA/alphabetical-probe-articles/jvm-monitor-java-virtual-machine-monitoring/jvm-monitor-metrics.html

------------------------------
    Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Can UIM monitor JVM Crashes, Java heapsize, business transactions

Posted Nov 09, 2020 12:21 PM
    Additionally if there are items you want to collect that aren't in the jvm probe, you can always use logmon to run a script and pull the metrics from the script output.

• 4.  RE: Can UIM monitor JVM Crashes, Java heapsize, business transactions

Posted Nov 10, 2020 03:52 AM
    Tq David & Garin for the information.

• 5.  RE: Can UIM monitor JVM Crashes, Java heapsize, business transactions

Posted Jan 31, 2023 08:48 AM
    Edited by Miller Echagarreta Jan 31, 2023 08:49 AM
    Hi @Garin Walsh how are you? I need to specifically monitor this, do you have some script or some similar for this metrics?

Core JMX metrics
    1. Heap usage
    2. GC activity
    3. Inner queues (mandatory: defaultMessageProducer, adviceMessageProducer, LIMIT_NODES, TRIGGERED_RULES, HISTORY_INDEX, ASYNC_HISTORY_INDEX, TRANSACTION_REQUEST)

thanks for you help

• 6.  RE: Can UIM monitor JVM Crashes, Java heapsize, business transactions

Posted Jan 31, 2023 09:29 AM
    I don't have anything that I can directly share - 

What I can say is that to get at the java metrics, four approaches are used:

- use the jvm_monitor probe - has the downside that you need to enable the debug port on the app you are looking to monitor
    - use jstat https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/14/docs/specs/man/jstat.html to get at the metrics from the command line and then use logmon (and maybe a wrapper script) to parse the output
    - ignore the internal java metrics completely - or maybe better is to ask the question of the value of collecting the metrics. For example in one of my use cases, we run a java app on a dedicated server. The heap is set to reflect the total memory available. So what value is it to track the heap usage? Tracking total memory via CDM provides the same value.
    - instrument the app you are monitoring to output these values in a readable way.