DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  populate device serialnumber attribute from list attribute

Posted Jun 11, 2018 05:06 AM

Hi all,

I want to use the DeviceSerialAttr (0x3d0063) mechanism built into Spectrum, to have Spectrum populate the Serial_Number attribute (0x10030) automatically. The basic idea is, to put the attribute ID number of the attribute actually providing the serialnumber into the DeviceSerialAttr field. By doing so, Spectrum will show the serialnumber value using the default Serial_Number attribute, which is available in Component Detail and list views as well as being synched into the SRM database.

This works great, as long as the source attribute is scalar / not list based with instances.

The example I can't seem get to work is from a Cisco UCS rackserver device that provides serial number information through the cucsComputeRackUnitSerial attribute.

Assuming, we're always looking for row/instance 1, the real serial number value should be accessible through "OID" <attributeID>.1. Such specification is not accepted as a value for DeviceSerialAttr.

When just putting the plain cucsComputeRackUnitSerial attribute's ID into the DeviceSerialAttr attribute, it's resulting in an emtpy Serial_Number field.

Any ideas how to get around this?

thanks,
    Raphael

Spectrum attribute browser serial number

• 2.  Re: populate device serialnumber attribute from list attribute
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 11, 2018 02:30 PM

Raphael,

I do not know if there is a way around this. The "Configure Serial Number Handling" section of the documentation located at Configure Serial Number Handling - CA Spectrum - 10.2 to 10.2.3 - CA Technologies Documentation states the following in step 1:

1. Verify that the external attribute that contains the serial number is not a list attribute and is of type TEXT_STRING or OCTET_STRING.

• 3.  Re: populate device serialnumber attribute from list attribute

Posted Jun 15, 2018 09:00 AM

Hi ackjo04,

thanks for your hint.

Here the documentation says, what is kind of obvious and proven by my findings. However, the question was if some solution to this dilemma is known (-;

Interestingly, Spectrum seems to have built-in mechanisms to deal with list-based serial number information, as it successfully populates serial number information from ENTITY-MIB chassis entries. Unfortunately, the CUCS rack server CIMC devices do not support the ENTITY information. Potentially putting the two functionalities (ENTITY parsing and DeviceSerialAttr mapping) together could do the trick.

regards,
    Raphael