DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

rsp - "Connection to xxx failed or login refused" flapping problem for servers with multiple interfaces

• 1.  rsp - "Connection to xxx failed or login refused" flapping problem for servers with multiple interfaces

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 10, 2021 10:04 AM
    hi, i think rsp  tries to connect on every x-nth connection to the "Other IP address" of the servers that have multiple interfaces ( = ip addresses) that is not available for wmi and therefore it triggers an alarm "Connection to xxx failed or login refused". the wmi is available only for the primary IP address.

how to fix it?
    the rsp 5.50 was configured via mcs enhanced profile in OC and when i check the rsp probe gui in AC, i can see the correct IP address ( = the primary) of the servers in their profile. although i think, it doesnt use it always and i think the rsp uses the IP address that is resolved at the time when the request for the QoS is sent. otherwise i cant explain why it generates these false alarms only for the servers with 2 IP addresses.
    and if i resolve the dns name in cmd, once i get the primary IP address as first entry and the other ip address as the second entry and on the next time vice versa:

answer first resolution:
    Name: s-xxx.com
    Addresses: 1.1.1.1

answer 2nd resolution:
    Name: s-xxx.com
    Addresses: 2.2.2.2

thank you,
    stefan

• 2.  RE: rsp - "Connection to xxx failed or login refused" flapping problem for servers with multiple interfaces

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 10, 2021 02:17 PM
    Hi stefan,

Sounds like it could be a DNS issue that maybe we can check on the rsp robot, at the command line.

Yes through MCS does not really give you the option to use IP only. Try adding these hosts the the etc/hosts file on the rsp robot server so the rsp probe does not try to do a gethostbyname to its DNS Server/s. 

to test DNS run a nslookup on the rsp robot command line over and over and verify its consistent and correct(before you hard code the etc/hosts of course). HOw many DNS servers are configured on the rsp robot? ipconfig /all or ifconfig -a Unix. Feel your DNS admin may have your solution.

Try hardcode in etc/hosts and see what the results are.

• 3.  RE: rsp - "Connection to xxx failed or login refused" flapping problem for servers with multiple interfaces

Posted May 11, 2021 03:37 AM
    Hello Stefan,

if there are multiple interfaces in Windows Servers it could be related to the Interface Metric which on is picked up.

The priority of this Metric can be changed. Please see https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-priority-order-network-adapters-windows-10#:~:text=In%20the%20%22Interface%20metric%22%20field,Click%20the%20OK%20button.

Kind regards,
    Britta