Agile Requirements Designer

View Only
  • 1.  New fields validation

Posted May 26, 2020 07:44 PM
    Hello All,
    We are currently working with a financial institution and some of the user stories are about new mainframe like screens creation with several fields on them.
    Is there a way to model this type of validations where the User Story is just asking to have the new screen with certain fields on it? Or is it not recommended to use ARD for this type of testing?

• 2.  RE: New fields validation
    Best Answer

Posted May 27, 2020 05:45 AM

Hi,

I would argue that using ARD has value independent of the type of technology the final implementation will be realized in. Things like:
    • improving quality of the end-product because ARD helps you to get he desired test-coverage with the minimal amount of test cases
    • improving quality and speed of deliver becasue ARD clarifies upfront if requirements are correctly understood by visually displaying the flow for each requirement and allowing (less-technical) stakeholders to discuss the correctness and completeness
    • improving speed of delivery by managing a coherent set of testcases in an automated way when requirements change and or new features are added in a new development cycle
    Then obviously there are all the benefits coming from the automated test design (automated generation and execution of the testcase scripts, etc...) and this might be a challenge if your "testing interface" is not one of the currently common technologies but instead mainframe block-mode screens in your case (if I understand correctly). You would need to look at the effort of building a useful "automation configuration" library for this technology. 

Hope this helps,

Cheers
    Danny
    --------------------------------
    Architect
    HCL Technologies
    --------------------------------

::DISCLAIMER::

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses and other defects.

• 3.  RE: New fields validation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 15, 2020 02:29 PM
    Edited by Marta Benach Jun 15, 2020 02:33 PM
    I think this is a great use case for ARD.  You have either a complete new UI screen or new fields that need validation.   In that case, there is definitely expected behavior for that new UI screen and those new fields.  At the very minimum, you would want to model the happy path, where all fields are filled in properly and the flow successfully completes whatever it is meant to do.

You would also want to validate negative test cases - what happens when I put bad or inappropriate or empty data in my new field?  For example, what happens if I put non-numeric characters in a telephone field?  And lastly, you might consider modelling business logic, for example, out zip code field may accept both US and international postal codes values.

Lastly, it doesnt matter that it is for a mainframe, the test execution may be different and their maybe some considerations specific to mainframe, but the actual test cases required will largely be the same.

Thanks,
    Mimi

------------------------------
    Client Services Consultant
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------