DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  SQLServer custom checkpoint in a package

Posted Oct 21, 2021 11:42 PM
    HI.

I have several custom checkpoints that I need to use across many servers.
    But they don't all use the same user credentials and many have multiple instances.
    I have created a custom package to deploy the sql file and a .cfx to define the checkpoint;
    But after deployment, I need to manually set the connection for each instance profile on each server.

Is it possible to create a custom checkpoint that used the profile's connection settings automatically?
    The .cfg has keys query_uid= and query_pw=  that are useless in a .cfx unless I have one package for every credential, which is not realy solving my problem.
    I'm hoping there is an undocumented (or hard to find?) setting like use_profile=yes 
    ?

or some other solution I've overlooked?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: SQLServer custom checkpoint in a package

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 22, 2021 11:30 AM
    Hi David,

I think this will work in old style superpack and confguration file creation in archive. If you drag and drop a modified sqlserver probe on a running robot in IM to the archive, in IM and then open up the file the <checkpoint> you created should be listed without any credentials, cfx file. You cannot to configuration using MCS and IM dragging and dropping but see if this may be "on the right track", or have you already tried this tactic?

• 3.  RE: SQLServer custom checkpoint in a package

Posted Oct 24, 2021 09:17 PM
    Hello, Gregg.

Sadly, No. If you drag the running probe back to the archive, the .cfx it creates has the query_uid= and query_pw= included, so it is tied to specific credentials on that one sql server/instance.
    On other servers use the same credentials, that package does work; but most of my SQL instances use unique user names and passwords.

• 4.  RE: SQLServer custom checkpoint in a package

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 25, 2021 08:38 AM
    Are those entries within the <checkpoint> section when you create a custom checkpoint? When I look at the predefined checkpoints like deadlocks there is no reference to connection details within the xml.  If I wanted to add a checkpoint I would just list the checkpoint details (between <{yourcheckpointname}> and </{yourcheckpointname}> xml tags.) in the cfx, no other info is needed in the configuration to change it. If I wanted to change the deadlock checkpoint for interval within a group template, my cfx would only have to look like this, but not 100% for custom checkpoint. I would need to create and test a custom checkpoint.: other settings for deadlocks would remain as is. Hope this helps.
    <groups> overwrite
         <{group name}> overwrite
                     <checkpoints> overwrite
                            <deadlocks> overwrite
                                    interval = 15 min
                            </deadlocks>
                     </checkpoints>
          </{group name}>
    </groups>

• 5.  RE: SQLServer custom checkpoint in a package

Posted Oct 25, 2021 09:56 PM
    Custom checkpoints do appear in <checkpoints>, but they are treated differently to the OEM checkpoints.

The predefined checkpoints will 'magically' use the connection details for the running profile, wether they are "static" or "template".
    A custom checkpoint will throw an error and disable itself if it has no valid query_uid= and query_pw= defined as a "template" checkpont.
    A recent check shows that by setting the custom checkpoint to "Static" means that it won't need those two keys, but that is still not something that can be set through a package, so still requires work on every instance.

• 6.  RE: SQLServer custom checkpoint in a package

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 26, 2021 07:51 AM
    OK I can see your case. The only other option maybe to try the sql_response probe to fill the void needed by your custom checkpoints. Still more work then just dragging and dropping.