Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Day Light Saving impact to our V12.2.2HF1

• 1.  Day Light Saving impact to our V12.2.2HF1

Posted Aug 22, 2019 12:36 AM
    Hello all

We are using automic v12.2.2 HF1 and not sure either our env will be get impacted due daylight saving changes happening on 27th Oct..... If yes we want to know the fix and possibility to find out impacted JSCH and when we need to apply that fix one day before or on same day .... Any thoughts/suggestions/experience will lead to lot of help...

Amit Sharma

• 2.  RE: Day Light Saving impact to our V12.2.2HF1

Posted Aug 22, 2019 12:22 PM
    We have used V9 and now V11, and have never needed to do anything regarding Daylight savings.  The product seems to always do the right thing.  

You should make sure your CLIENT object is set to the desired timezone.

------------------------------
    Pete

• 3.  RE: Day Light Saving impact to our V12.2.2HF1

Posted Aug 22, 2019 02:07 PM
    Edited by Jared Kessans Aug 22, 2019 02:08 PM
    See this thread as it was a major issue for the spring time change for many customers and multiple versions..  We experienced an issue with the Autumn time change too.

In the downloads, here was a bug fix for specific versions for the Spring time change.  Below that is the fix for the Autumn time change.

An error has been fixed where schedules did not work correct during daylight savings time if period turnaround is exactly the same minute as the daylight savings time. Period is calculated for 1 hour and tasks are executed twice.
    Components:
    • AutomationEngine
    Fixed Versions:
    • Automation.Engine 12.1.3
    • Automation.Engine 12.0.6
    • Automation.Engine 11.2.9
    • Automation.Engine 12.2.1
    • Automation.Engine 12.3.0

A problem has been fixed where jobs scheduled at the daylight saving time were executed one our to late on the next day.
    Components:
    • AutomationEngine
    Fixed Versions:
    • Automation.Engine 12.3.0
    • Automation.Engine 12.1.5
    • Automation.Engine 12.0.8
    • Automation.Engine 12.2.3

• 4.  RE: Day Light Saving impact to our V12.2.2HF1

Posted Aug 23, 2019 10:42 AM
    Just a suggestion if the suggestions below are not tenable.  When 10/27 approaches, I would open up your schedule and mark those that are in that period, where they could kick off twice, inactive.  Then, I would to each of the individual objects and set them to execute once on the date/time that you desire.  Officially, DST ends at 2:00am, so a job set for 1:00am is executed once and out of the activities monitor.  At 2:00 am when it becomes 1:00 am again, there is nothing to kick off as it already ran.  Once you are in the clear, you can activate them again.

Depending on the number of processes that you have running at that time this can either be a chore or very easy.  It is old-school, but it does work.

For us, we use (mainly) a separate schedule for each day.  Takes more effort to set up a new process, but, when we have outages, it makes life much easier.  We still have issues with our Forecast (not working.  Errors out every time we run it so we don't run it anymore).  Filed case with Automic but no resolution resulted.  Going to daily schedule has made our lives much easier.  In this case, for 10/27 it would be a very easy task to handle manually.

Good luck and thanks for posing the question.  Very forward thinking.

Cheers,

Gary Chismar
    Manager, Automic, PeopleSoft HCM/FI
    Florida State University
    Florida

• 5.  RE: Day Light Saving impact to our V12.2.2HF1

Posted Aug 23, 2019 02:59 PM
    You can create time zone object which has "Define Daylight Saving Time​". You can use this option to specify the specific dates. I hope this helps.

• 6.  RE: Day Light Saving impact to our V12.2.2HF1

Posted Aug 23, 2019 04:33 PM
    Good suggestion.  I have never worked with the Time Zone object.  Will have to play around with it.

Cheers,

Gary Chismar
    Manager, Automic, PeopleSoft HCM/FI
    Florida State University
    Florida

• 7.  RE: Day Light Saving impact to our V12.2.2HF1

Posted Oct 23, 2019 05:54 PM
    Broadcom folks,
    This article was updated in September -
    https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=129487

I see the example workaround for March, but i don't see an example workaround for the coming DST(USA on 3rd Nov).
    I assume a lot of folks are not on a version where the bug is fixed, such as me.

And where is the script located/downloadable from?

An example use of the script:

1.) DST is on Sunday 31st of March 02:00 am, period turnaround is at 00:00 

2.) You need to wait until 3:00 am, so the DST should already happened

3.) Between the DST and the next period turnaround of your JSCH, you need to execute the script and execute the provided update statements.

• 8.  RE: Day Light Saving impact to our V12.2.2HF1

Posted Oct 23, 2019 10:24 PM
    Broadcom Team,

The article shares some steps as workaround post the impact made by this bug.  We expect some workaround to prevent it rather.    

https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=129487

For example :
    One of the possible impact is  as : "After refreshing, the Schedule executed jobs twice for the previous day, even though they successfully completed on time."  But the workaround is provided saying 'if affected'. 

So my question is If this bug already executed 5/6 critical business process twice & then we follow the workaround, it doesn't prevent anything. 

Based on the above article we see it is going to hit more than 100 schedules for more than 6 different time zones.  

Would you be able to suggest something to be done in advance to to avoid this potential impact ?

Regards,
    Prosenjit

• 9.  RE: Day Light Saving impact to our V12.2.2HF1

Posted Oct 24, 2019 06:17 AM
    ​I can add this tidbit:

At the German Automic Users Conference ("FOKUS"), it was said that the DST issues were regrettable, but a one time occurence and that the problem has been identified and fixed in the product, so the executing of SQL workarrounds shall not be neccessary anymore beyond this one past occurence. IIRC.

Nevertheless, I would also sleep sounder if this could be confirmed as of today, since we'll also have a DST change upcoming.

Br,
    Carsten

• 10.  RE: Day Light Saving impact to our V12.2.2HF1

Posted Oct 24, 2019 10:40 AM
    Edited by Diane Craddock Mar 10, 2020 08:43 AM
    Just as a follow-up as to how we were impacted during the Autumn (Fall) time change, which had much less impact than compared to the Spring time change.

• The Autumn time change occurred on Nov. 4th at 2:00am.
    • During the schedule's period turnaround, instead of occurring at midnight on Nov. 5th as expected, they waited until 1:00am.  I assume that with the time change falling back, the schedule still waited the full 24 hours to do the period turnaround.
    • Everything scheduled between midnight and 1:00am did not run until the period turnaround occurred.  We only had one customer bring it to our attention about 3 weeks later when they were trying to track down an issue.

At the time we were on v12.0.6.  We are now on v12.0.9.

If anyone is on the same version and has their time change scheduled for Oct. 27th, please reply to the thread.

• 11.  RE: Day Light Saving impact to our V12.2.2HF1

Posted Mar 02, 2020 04:17 PM
    A friendly reminder folks, its that time of year again!

https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=129487&_ga=2.33140606.1747636950.1583182647-1840933885.1568657687

https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=139054&_ga=2.183878510.91039243.1572359694-1840933885.1568657687

Mar 8, 2020 - Daylight Saving Time Starts - USA.

When local standard time is about to reach
    Sunday, March 8, 2020, 2:00:00 am clocks are turned forward 1 hour to
    Sunday, March 8, 2020, 3:00:00 am local daylight time instead.

• 12.  RE: Day Light Saving impact to our V12.2.2HF1
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 04, 2020 11:20 AM
    Edited by Diane Craddock Mar 10, 2020 08:43 AM
    Hi Automic Community,

The DST problem was a one-off and was fixed in the following versions as listed in the article - link above.

Automation.Engine 12.2.2 HF2 - Available

Automation.Engine 12.1.4 HF2 - Available

Automation.Engine 12.0.7 HF1 - Available

Automation.Engine 11.2.10 HF1 - Available

Automation.Engine 12.0.8 - Available

Automation.Engine 12.1.5 - Available

Automation.Engine 12.2.3 - Available

Automation.Engine 12.3.0 - Available 

@Jared Kessans as you did not upgrade to a fixed version before the Autumn DST change, that would explain why you were affected. Was there a particular reason why you had not upgraded? There was a six month period after the publication for you to apply the fix before the next DST change. 

Please check that you are at least at a version where we applied the fix.
    There is no further need for the published workaround - that was only made available at short-notice for customers who could not apply the fix in time for the March 2019 DST change.

I hope this reassures everybody.

David

Senior Product Line Manager - Automation
    CA Technologies, A Broadcom Company

• 13.  RE: Day Light Saving impact to our V12.2.2HF1

Posted Mar 04, 2020 05:33 PM
    I had a ticket open after the 2018 Autumn time change. The ticket was still open on the March 2019 time change and we were still on v12.0.6 at that time. The spring time change impact was much worse than Autumn. If the fixed version was released before the spring time change I saw nothing about it on the download sure and release notes and support didn't mention it. We upgraded to v12.0.9 after that and did not get hit in the Autumn time change of 2019.

• 14.  RE: Day Light Saving impact to our V12.2.2HF1

Posted Mar 05, 2020 06:47 AM
    Hi @David Ainsworth,

As our Prod env is still on 11.2.10 , we will be impacted by this bug, correct ?

/Keld.

• 15.  RE: Day Light Saving impact to our V12.2.2HF1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 05, 2020 07:46 AM
    Hi @Keld Mollnitz
    yes. you need to apply Automation.Engine 11.2.10 HF1

cheers
    David

Senior Product Line Manager - Automation
    CA Technologies, A Broadcom Company