Service Virtualization

View Only
  • 1.  DB Setup for DevTest Migration

Posted Oct 29, 2020 05:08 PM
    Hi SupportListeners,

I'm doing DevTest Migration from 10.3 to 10.6 and would like to understand the right approach for setting up external DB for DevTest. I'm using SQL Server as External DB.
    I understand that Enterprise Dashboard would need a dedicated DB instance. What I want to know is, Can the IAM and Registry use the same DB instance or do they also need to have separate DB instances each?. Will there be any conflict if we use the same DB instance for Registry and IAM?

------------------------------
    Regards,
    Shivakumar.

• 2.  RE: DB Setup for DevTest Migration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 29, 2020 06:00 PM
    Hi Shivakumar,

Please look at the community post https://community.broadcom.com/enterprisesoftware/viewdocument/devtest-solutions-upgrade-center?CommunityKey=94bda077-625b-4914-8ac3-c88a06c2cc23&tab=librarydocuments. The post will give you good information for upgrade.

To answer your question on using the same Database for IAM and Registry. Yes you can use the same DB but the schemas need to be different.

Regards,
    Prema

• 3.  RE: DB Setup for DevTest Migration

Posted Oct 29, 2020 11:56 PM
    Hi Shiva,

As the schemas will be different, you can use same DB for IAM & Registry.

Thanks

Regards,
    Vaibhav Jain
    Capgemini

• 4.  RE: DB Setup for DevTest Migration

Posted Oct 30, 2020 09:08 AM
      |   view attached
    Thanks Prema and Vaibhav. But I'm a bit confused. I'm using SQL Server Management studio.

I see an option to create DB and under the DB -->security, I can create a schema. so are you suggesting that I create one DB and under that create 3 different schema's --ED, IAM, Registry . One schema for each. If that is the case, when I configure the DB details in the site.prop and dradis.prop , Since I have to give the DB name in the connection string, how can I point to the specific schema in the DB for each of it.

or are you suggesting to create 3 DB and provide the name of each DB in the connection string. Attached a screen shot for your reference.

I'm not so well versed with the DB :-)

Regards,
    Shivakumar

Attachment(s)

docx
    toUpload.docx   84 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: DB Setup for DevTest Migration

Posted Oct 30, 2020 09:17 AM
    Hi,

SQL Server knows the concept of database. One SQL Server instance can hold many databases. For DevTest installation on SQL Server define 3 different databases within your SQL Server instance (each database will have its own schema inside)

This is different from Oracle, Oracle does not natively have the concept of Database, an Oracle instan,ce running is basically one database. If you want to "simulate" 3 databases (with each their own schema) then you have to create 3 schema's alongside each other (with their own users) within this one Oracle instance.

SQL Server is simpler (for once ��)

Cheers,
    Danny
    ::DISCLAIMER::

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses and other defects.

• 6.  RE: DB Setup for DevTest Migration

Posted Oct 30, 2020 09:26 AM
    Thanks Danny. That's where I was confused when everyone are referring that you can use one DB and have different schemas. Now I got the clarity. Thanks a lot for you explanation. 

Regards,
    Shivakumar.