Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Provide notification when job is delayed or unable to start

• 1.  Provide notification when job is delayed or unable to start

Posted Dec 18, 2017 11:29 AM

I've searched through documentation and discussions, but I've not found a solution to my current issue.  I have a number of jobs scheduled, and I'd like to receive a notification once they are unable or delayed to start by over 10 minutes.  I know how to setup notifications for jobs once they start and abort, but I've not found a way to detect an issue that prevents it from starting.

Anyone have a solution to this?

• 2.  Provide notification when job is delayed or unable to start

Posted Dec 18, 2017 12:39 PM
    You posted this in the general topics.  Which product are you using?

• 3.  Provide notification when job is delayed or unable to start

Posted Dec 18, 2017 12:57 PM
    Steve Skaggs said:

I've searched through documentation and discussions, but I've not found a solution to my current issue.  I have a number of jobs scheduled, and I'd like to receive a notification once they are unable or delayed to start by over 10 minutes.  I know how to setup notifications for jobs once they start and abort, but I've not found a way to detect an issue that prevents it from starting.

Anyone have a solution to this?

What is the status of the job when it fails to to start? The reason I am asking is because the answer to your question might depend on what prevents the job from starting (i.e. agent is not active).

• 4.  Provide notification when job is delayed or unable to start

Posted Dec 19, 2017 10:08 AM
    If a job is unable to start, it throws an exception on the job report. You can catch the exception using FILTER.OUTPUT scan and send out notification 

• 5.  Provide notification when job is delayed or unable to start

Posted Dec 19, 2017 01:24 PM

Thanks for the replies.  The product is Automic Web Interface version 12.0.3

The desire is to capture the failure to start regardless of the reason.  We have encountered issues with it being delayed due to predecessor jobs, thread pool workers down, general "Failed to Start" messages.  I'd like to capture it for every reason, but, if that is not possible, for as many reasons as reasonable.

For jobs that are unable to start at all, I do not believe there is an output created.  For TPW down, I can see those jobs in the output, but others are simply hanging.

• 6.  Provide notification when job is delayed or unable to start

Posted Dec 19, 2017 02:46 PM
    So you use Automation Engine a.k.a. AWA :-)
    ..many names for the same thing...

At last the worst error (Fault_Other = RC 1820) can be catched with an SQL Statement.

Why is this the worst error? You are no able to react on it - because it stops activating - so no Process tab is ran through. Post Process neither...

HERE is a thread about it - with an example Report...
    https://community.automic.com/discussion/comment/30098#Comment_30098

...but others are simply hanging... - please provide the status of them you want to catch...

cheers, Wolfgang

• 7.  Provide notification when job is delayed or unable to start

Posted Dec 20, 2017 11:53 AM
    Thanks again.  I'm looking into the SQL you provided in the link. I think this may be just what I need.

• 8.  RE: Provide notification when job is delayed or unable to start

Posted Sep 22, 2019 10:49 AM
    ​Looking to see if there was a resolution for this.  We have a task that has a breakpoint which is supposed to be released by an API process.  We are looking for a way to send a notification if the job has not started after so many minutes.  We use Automic (AWA)

• 9.  RE: Provide notification when job is delayed or unable to start
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 23, 2019 02:30 AM
    I would create a parallel (!) job to the one with the breakpoint that checks if the corresponding job is running. And after a delay (once) or a loop (for shorter delays) the script of the parallel job can send an email or end itself.

------------------------------
    Administrator and Developer Jobautomation
    BNP Paribas S.A. Niederlassung Deutschland

• 10.  RE: Provide notification when job is delayed or unable to start

Posted Sep 23, 2019 04:03 AM
    Did you try a "Time Checkpoint" in the "Time & Depencies" tab? You specify the date and time for checking and also a different task to be executed if the original one could not start. There you can send a notofication, e-mail or make somewhere a button red.

Automation Evangelist
    Fiducia & GAD IT AG
    ---
    Mitglied des deutschsprachigen Automic-Anwendervereins FOKUS e.V.
    Member of the German speaking Automic user association FOKUS e.V.