AppWorx, Dollar Universe and Sysload Community

View Only
  • 1.  Applications Manager Database Upgrade info

Posted Mar 30, 2020 08:13 PM
    We are trying to upgrade our Applications Manger (aka Appworx) database from Oracle 12c to 18c and wondering if there are any documents available for what all needs to be done to do this in AM/Appworx.  Our DBA has already upgraded the database itself. So I am just looking at what needs to be done on the applications manager server/agents.

Thank you.

------------------------------
    Computer Programmer/Analyst
    Montana State Universityy

• 2.  RE: Applications Manager Database Upgrade info

Posted Mar 31, 2020 01:02 PM
    We just migrated our AUT AppMgr DB from 12cR1 to 19c (new host due to Linux 7 requirement).  On the JobSub side we finally added OpenJDK and an additional Oracle client, used only by AppMgr server/agents.  The JobSub host is still LInux 6.x with an old Oracle client and JDK.  We did all this along with an upgrade of AppMgr from 9.0 to 9.3.1 (and then 9.3.2 as soon as it is released).  The end-user client is quite different, but our testing has gone well.  We only have 4 folks actively using the UI.  We go live in PRD tomorrow.

I am guessing that an in-place upgrade won't require much, but you may need to ensure your Java and JDK are compatible.  If you do have issues with AppMgr but not JobSub, it should be okay for there to be different versions for each. 

DBA / Sr Enterprise Applications Administrator
    Franklin & Marshall College

• 3.  RE: Applications Manager Database Upgrade info

Posted Mar 31, 2020 04:25 PM
    Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well in this scary world right now. 

Some time back I opened a case with support to ask about 12c/18c/19c. This was related to us upgrading to V9.3.1. 
    I am pretty sure support at the time told me 12c/18c are certified, but they were working on 19c certification. 

We are using 12.2.0.1 databased right now. The DBA's have asked us to keep 18/19 in mind. 

Be well, thank you
    Rich 

https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/ALL/components/AM/latest/All%20Guides/help_en.htm#AM_Install_Guide/Creating_the_Database_Account.htm%3FTocPath%3DInstallation%2520Guide%7CApplications%2520Manager%2520Installation%2520for%2520UNIX%2520and%2520Windows%7C_____3

• 4.  RE: Applications Manager Database Upgrade info
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 31, 2020 04:59 PM

Hi,

Just an update, I was able to get the upgrade done. I had to download a new ojdbc8.jar file to replace our older 6 version. It had to be copied to the ojdbc folder in the home directory and also copied to the web/classes directory.  It also needs to be on each remote agent.  There were some database upgrade tips that I found in the Installation guide for AM version 9.3.0 that helped as well.

Thanks.

Angela

Angela Hoffman

Computer System Analyst/Programmer II

UIT Enterprise Services Group

920 Technology Blvd (Nopper Building)

406-994-7399

• 5.  RE: Applications Manager Database Upgrade info

Posted Mar 31, 2020 05:28 PM
    We also had to fiddle with the OJDBC a bit, but only for the Windows clients.
    AppMgr is co-located on the JobSub host, which is Linux 6.x with OpenJDK 8.
    We have two Oracle Homes on the JobSub host... one for Banner JobSub and the other for AppMgr (12cR2).
    We were not prepared to fiddle with the Oracle client for JobSub just yet.

• 6.  RE: Applications Manager Database Upgrade info

Posted Mar 31, 2020 05:30 PM
    Hi Angela,  We recently upgrade from V9.1.1 to V9.3.1. One of the things we wanted to do is use the ojdbc8.jar instead of a ojdbc6.jar. Support told me some time back they were not supplying a signed jar anymore like the ojdbc6_signed.jar. With V9.3.? they changed from using the Client.jnlp file to using the RunClient.jar so the need for a signed jar is not needed. 

We noticed when we tried to switch to using ojdbc8.jar it worked for starting the master, and remote agents. But then we tried to login using RunClient.jar. This worked when you typed a valid password, but when you typed an invalid password it hung, and we got the blue circle spinning. We then had to kill this in taskmgr.  Also when you changed a user's password, they were not getting the change password prompt. 

After a lot of back and forth with ticket support was able to pin this down for me. They requested I copy the ojdbc8.jar file into the AM_Cleint\jars directory on my PC. This fixed the problem. They told me this is fixed in V9.3.2. 

It was an interesting upgrade going from V9.1.1 to V9.3.1. I learned a lot. The user_keystore files was at first difficult for me to figure out, but I finally got it working. A lot of confusion to the location .Appworx or Appworx without the dot. It needs to be in a C:\Users\<user name>\Appworx\<insance name> directory..  I had client debug on and spotted the error. 

Hope it goes well, and everyone stays safe. This is very scary times. 

Rich

• 7.  RE: Applications Manager Database Upgrade info

Posted Mar 31, 2020 05:24 PM
    I have migrated our AppMgr DB to 19c and upgraded our UAT enviornment to AppMgr 9.3.1 .
    Testing has gone well.
    We are going live tomorrow in PRD.

Per Ellucian consultant Gary Fitztgerald, "confirmed that 19c seems to work fine with 9.3.1. Broadcom just hasn't officially certified it."
    We will upgrade AppMgr to 9.3.2 in UAT as soon as it is released... not sure how the timing of that has slipped... it was expected late March, and this is pretty late in March.

• 8.  RE: Applications Manager Database Upgrade info

Posted Apr 13, 2020 03:31 PM
    Hi:

We would like to migrate from Oracle 12c to 19c, but need to know when Oracle 19c version will be certified. Did Support provided to you a timeline on when Oracle 19c will be certified?

Thanks!

Gus

• 9.  RE: Applications Manager Database Upgrade info

Posted Apr 13, 2020 04:35 PM

We are running AppMgr 9.3.1 in PRD with 19c PDB 
                      and AppMgr 9.3.2 in DEV with 19c PDB (certified ~3/24)
    No issues so far.

You will need the following in the AppMgr DB:

alter system set event="10946 trace name context forever, level 65536" scope=SPFILE;