Layer7 API Management

View Only
  • 1.  How to decode an encrypted json web token

Posted Apr 14, 2021 06:21 PM
    Hello everyone,

I am trying to decode an encrypted JWT but have not been successful. I have tried the Decode Json Web Token assertion, it performs the decoding when I pass it a signed JWT but when the JWT is encrypted the assertion fails.

Any help is good to have lights since I am stuck there.

Best regards,

Ronald.

• 2.  RE: How to decode an encrypted json web token

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 14, 2021 07:13 PM
      |   view attached
    How was it encrypted and to what key? Per the documentation (https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-api-management/api-gateway/10-0/policy-assertions/assertion-palette/message-validation-transformation-assertions/decode-json-web-token-assertion.html):

For a nested JWT (both signed and encrypted), use one Decode JSON Web Token assertion to decrypt, then pass the resulting payload ${<prefix>.plaintext} to a second Decode JSON Web Token assertion.

So you must first decrypt the JWE then run it through the decode again to validate the JWS. I'm attaching a sample policy to illustrate this that creates a signed and encrypted JWT then decrypts and validates.

------------------------------
    Jay MacDonald - Adoption Architect - Broadcom API Management (Layer 7)

Attachment(s)

xml
    JWT-JWS-JWE.xml   4 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: How to decode an encrypted json web token

Posted Apr 15, 2021 03:23 AM
    Hi Ronald

Have you had a look at the JWTGrok article and code Jay MacDonald published in the community in late Feb 2021?

"Understanding JOSE and JWK in the API Gateway with JWE and JWS test cases" 

The stuff in there sorted things out for me when it came to dealing with encoded JWTs.

Cheers

Robbert van Beveren
    Solution Architect
    HCL Technologies
    United Kingdom