Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Third Party tool interface with Clarity which updates resource calendar

• 1.  Third Party tool interface with Clarity which updates resource calendar

Posted Jun 28, 2016 01:10 PM

Hi All,

Please share the experience -If anyone has implemented interface between Clarity and Third Party holiday tool to  update the resource calendar in clarity. Requirement is to update resources calendar based on holidays entered in Third Party tool via an interface so that resources will not have to update their calendar manually for vacations, holidays.

Regards,

Ravi

• 2.  Re: Third Party tool interface with Clarity which updates resource calendar

Posted Jul 11, 2016 05:51 AM

I have the same problematic. Link to my comment on the post Calendar Integration with Outlook , I was thinking to use the REST API but this one seems not to include the calendar access.

• 3.  Re: Third Party tool interface with Clarity which updates resource calendar

Posted Jul 11, 2016 06:15 AM

Note sure about REST API but how about SOAP (using rsm_resources_write.xml).  Do you think that helps?

• 4.  Re: Third Party tool interface with Clarity which updates resource calendar

• 5.  Re: Third Party tool interface with Clarity which updates resource calendar

Posted Jul 11, 2016 08:16 AM

When you talk about SOAP, it means XOG isn't it ? If yes, XOG can't work on calendar (http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec531261.aspx).

About the links, "Calendar Integration for CA PPM" seems to be too "big" for what I want to do. My wish is to synchronize workday and non-workday from outlook to CA PPM.

• 6.  Re: Third Party tool interface with Clarity which updates resource calendar

Posted Jul 11, 2016 08:23 AM

I believe the above KB talks about calendars defined by admin. But my point was more about updating resource specific calendar through XOG and it works fine for me, that is, I am able to mark specific day for a resource as holiday and also unmark the same using rsm_resources_write.xml. Is this what you are looking for or something else?

• 7.  Re: Third Party tool interface with Clarity which updates resource calendar

Posted Jul 11, 2016 09:32 AM

You are right, rsm_resources_write.xml  is what I want. A REST API implementation would be better for me. Thanks

• 8.  Re: Third Party tool interface with Clarity which updates resource calendar

Posted Jul 11, 2016 07:33 PM

Hi clarityppmadmin - Did any of the responses help answer your question? If so please mark as Correct Answer. Thanks!

• 9.  Re: Third Party tool interface with Clarity which updates resource calendar

Posted Jul 12, 2016 09:56 AM

We have a semi-manual interface:

I receive an Excel file once a week containing data from the holiday system

I upload the file into a custom table in the Clarity database via SQL Server

I have a GEL script within an on-demand process that reads the contents of the table and creates a rsm_resources_write file setting holidays to be non-working days for the resource  if he/she is present in Clarity and the holiday request is approved.

This is on 14.3.  In our previous 12.1.3 environment the file was saved by me to a temp folder on the Clarity application server and read from there using ODBC.  However in 14.3's GEL implementation there's no longer an option to use ODBC to read from Excel, hence the database upload solution.

We could fully automate it by getting the two databases to link to each other but for the sake of 5 minutes work each week for me, it's not been worth the development effort.

• 10.  Re: Third Party tool interface with Clarity which updates resource calendar

Posted Jul 12, 2016 10:50 AM

I like this approach. We will be looking at something like this in the next few months. Mind if I PM you then and pick your brains on lessons learned?

• 11.  Re: Third Party tool interface with Clarity which updates resource calendar

Posted Jul 12, 2016 11:07 AM

Not at all, happy to chat about it.

• 12.  Re: Third Party tool interface with Clarity which updates resource calendar

Posted May 01, 2018 01:14 PM

Hi - we are using something similar. But it does not load full vacation on to the resource calendar. But only part of it is loaded and rest is ignored. Did you had this kind of issue?

• 13.  Re: Third Party tool interface with Clarity which updates resource calendar

Posted Jul 14, 2016 07:10 AM

Hi Ravi,

besides changing the ressource calendar over XOG, which is indeed supported, you could also consider using an other work investment for tracking holidays and reducing capacity. You could have a company wide one or one of for each department.

An interface can easily create team entries and allocations on the other work over XOG and maybe event the REST API (not sure how far the REST Interface right now is).

One more reason for :this adding an exception to a calendar  has an sometimes unwanted effect on hard allocation for the resource: the amount of hours/day for a hard booking changes (the availability has changed) outside the requisition process.

There are also some other advantages like beeing able to track the holiday time, rights management, ....  but also disadvantages (line investments have to be reduced in the holiday period).

I have done both solution for customers, but for our own inhouse implementation we preffered the other work solution.

Kind regards,

Sergiu Gavrila

• 14.  Re: Third Party tool interface with Clarity which updates resource calendar

Posted Jul 14, 2016 08:52 AM

Like the idea of using other work.

Personally the whole resource calendar is due a revamp to become a simpler, cleaner experience for all.

I do feel sorry for both admins and users

• 15.  Re: Third Party tool interface with Clarity which updates resource calendar

Posted Jul 22, 2016 04:10 PM

Revamp? Nah. A formal goodbye party where we go to CA World, burn the code and toast the developers who will replace it with something that is much more usable and integrates easily with other tools.

I'll supply the matches and the toast.