Automic Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

AWI: Logstash appender for Logback

• 1.  AWI: Logstash appender for Logback

Posted 5 days ago
    Edited by Michael Lowry 4 days ago
    We are running the Automic Web Interface (AWI) in a Cloud Foundry-based app cloud. Because the AWI server runs in its own container, getting access to logs is a bit cumbersome. To work around this limitation, I decided to try to find a way to redirect logging output from the AWI to a Logstash server, whence it can be accessed via Kibana.

There is a Logstash Logback Encoder, but I it doesn't seem to be included with the AWI. I trying replacing the RollingFileAppender section in logback.xml with a corresponding LogstashTcpSocketAppender section, but no logging messages were sent.

Has anyone gotten this working?

@Robert Thullner: Is this something that could be added without too much difficulty?

• 2.  RE: AWI: Logstash appender for Logback

Posted 5 days ago
    Hey Michael,

quick heads-up: Robert Thullner has left Broadcom. You may want to reference @Tatjana Radic instead.

Br,
    Carsten​​

• 3.  RE: AWI: Logstash appender for Logback

Posted 4 days ago
    Hi Michael,

Would it be an option to install filebeats on the AWI server to monitor the AWI log file(s) then have filebeats send the output to Logstash?
    Regards,
    George

• 4.  RE: AWI: Logstash appender for Logback

Posted yesterday
    @George Del Busto: Right now, we are running the AWI in a PaaS (platform as as service) app cloud using the standard Java buildpack. This approach is dead simple, but does not lend itself to running multiple independent processes side by side in the same container.

In order to do as you suggest, we would likely have to switch to setting up full-blown VMs for the AWI, including installation of Tomcat etc.

In the interests of making the process more reliable and repeatable, I have also played a bit with running the AWI in a Docker container, but I haven't gotten it working yet.

• 5.  RE: AWI: Logstash appender for Logback

Posted yesterday
    I submitted a new idea for this:

Enable Logstash appender for Logback in AWI