DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Get Line of Error Code

Posted Oct 26, 2018 12:21 AM

Hi,

I have a question, does CA APM shows which line number of code became the suspect of issues?

I have checked in the Stack View within the Error tab, I did not find the information about which line number of code which became the suspect of issues.

See below:

please advise.

Thank you

Rio

• 2.  Re: Get Line of Error Code

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 26, 2018 09:28 AM

Dear Community:

Can someone give Rio a response?

Thanks 

Hal German

• 3.  Re: Get Line of Error Code
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 28, 2018 07:26 PM

Hi Rio,

Our more experienced users might have other advice, but for a .NET application I think the best you can do is find the component level i.e. using a Transaction Trace the Trace/Tree/Sequence views should be able to show you the component experiencing the stall.

For Java application there is deep tracing via Smart Instrumentation which might give more useful info:

Detect and Analyze Errors and Stalls - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

However still not line of code and I think normally thread dumps would need to be taken to help with RCA. 

Regards,

Lynn

• 4.  Re: Get Line of Error Code

Posted Oct 28, 2018 11:38 PM

Hi Lynn,

Thank you for the reply. Last week, when I did a demo the customer was asking about the CA APM features. The developers was asking about how they can find which line of code become a suspect.
    I think this is a minor feature. But I remember when I was a programmer. The information of line of error code is very important for me, especially if I have so many lines of scripts. Not easy to find which code that making an issue within thousand line of script in one form.

Probably this feature can be planned as part of enhancement next CA APM version .

Regards

Rio

• 5.  Re: Get Line of Error Code

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 29, 2018 01:21 AM

Hi Rio,

Some of our more expert users might be able to advise further, but in general APM can trace down to the deepest component whose class has instrumentation configured for it (or smart instrumentation for Java) and give the response time for it. So for a stalled transaction that component taking the time can be identified but not a specific line in that component's code were the problem is occurring. Potentially by further custom instrumentation of other classes called by that component you can go deeper. However if for example you know that stalling component is calling a Backend database it could be an indication that the delay is due to some database access time.

Regards,

Lynn

• 6.  Re: Get Line of Error Code

Posted Oct 29, 2018 10:56 AM

This capability already exists in the SaaS environment for Java applications.  Here is a trace from the live system taken just a few moments ago.

• 7.  Re: Get Line of Error Code

Posted Oct 30, 2018 06:49 AM

Hi Tim,

Just tried APM SaaS to monitor .Net app. Seems the APM did not captured the source of line from .Net application as such APM monitor Java application.

I never noticed this source line information when I use CA APM onPremise to monitor Java application

Thank

Rio