Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Prevent password reset when importing users via transport case

Posted Oct 16, 2020 08:04 AM
    Hi experts,

Is there any possibility to prevent the reset of user passwords when importing users via transport case? Something like a hidden switch or trick...
    Client Copy is not a solution.

Thanks & regards
    Christoph

------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Automic AE Consultant and Trainer since 2000

• 2.  RE: Prevent password reset when importing users via transport case

Posted Oct 17, 2020 09:59 AM

Hi Christoph,

the only way I know is using LDAP (i guess you remeber our UC4/Automic/CA Demo Env) or Kerberos. In both cases, a local user password is no longer mandatory. 

With export/import the password is not in XML and using Automic transport capabilities, the password is reset to inital automatically. No work arround for this, as far I know.

Hope this help,
    Franz 

Senior Solution Architect EMEA - Enterprise Studio - Automation
    HCL Technologies Austria GmbH

• 3.  RE: Prevent password reset when importing users via transport case

Posted Oct 19, 2020 02:01 AM
    Hi Franz,

Thanks for confirming what I already suspected/feared. As I recall it passwords have not always been resetted/changed to pass when "tr-imported"...

Cheers
    Christoph 

Automic AE Consultant and Trainer since 2000

• 4.  RE: Prevent password reset when importing users via transport case

Posted Oct 21, 2020 10:08 AM
    Hi Christoph,

I have used the transport case many time for migration of objects from one version to another one. One of the issue was effectively to keep the passwords in user objects, login objetcts and connection objects during this process.

The solution was to use the transport function, one type of object at a time. It's a bit time consuming, specially as you cannot create multiple transport case at the same time.

I got no issue except with a few tricky passwords that were containing some special caracters used as escape signal i.e. They are sometimes generating an error at reload.

I use the ucybdbun with the option all_Entities = 1 to be sure to get all fields of the definition, maybe it can impact the way the password field is inserted in the transport case but no information can deny or confirm it.

Reload standard with ucybdbld using the replace mode "in case of". And it works.

Normally you just write an encrypted field from the source DB in a flat file, then load the same data/value into an encrypted field in the target DB without performing any changes so the decryption routine can read and decrypt the value. As long as the decryption routine is similar between source and target and this is the case (at least from V9 to V12.3).

Hope this can help.

Regards.

Alain