CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Defining Suites in CA SAM

Posted Jan 30, 2017 05:11 AM

In CA SAM , the inventory provides the ARP information and as such Products that are a part of suite are reported to SAM separately, e.g., Microsoft Office.

How can we use CA SAM to fit these products as a product in a suite?

If we consider these products separately, it won't be possible to generate the license compliance report on this data.

Kindly share some knowledge.

Regards,

Sahil

• 2.  Re: Defining Suites in CA SAM
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 30, 2017 05:37 AM

Hi Sahil,

CA SAM is designed to take the outset and address the compliance requirements from the license perspective, i.e. it's important during implementation that you follow the same approach. So it would be recommended to begin with outlining the following for any product/suite (e.g. Microsoft Office in your situation):

1. HOW is the product/suite licensed (license metrics, etc.)?
    2. WHAT information is required in order to be able to compare the acquired product use rights against the usage of the product/suite and as such prove compliance?
    3. WHERE can this information be discovered and collected from?

For Microsoft Office there are predefined signatures and/or recognition rules, so if your organization is purely licensed by the number of devices on which Microsoft Office is installed (the answer to 1 above), you will need to collect software inventory from all devices in the organization that tells if Microsoft Office is installed (the answer to 2 and 3 above) in order to prove compliance.

An example from the Master Catalog for Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Plus:

Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Plus recognition rule and signature assignment

• 3.  Re: Defining Suites in CA SAM

Posted Jan 30, 2017 05:48 AM

Thanks John,

I got what you mean.

Another challenge I see with CA SAM is the software inventory that I'm getting from ITCM. It only provides ARP data which is the data from the registry.

However, this is my observation that this data is not complete and only includes few software inventory.

Any knowledge how we can get the exe/MSI raw data from ITCM into CA SAM? 

• 4.  Re: Defining Suites in CA SAM

Posted Jan 30, 2017 05:59 AM

Hi Sahil,

You would have to extend the CA SAM ITCM connector to include the extra data you require on the CA SAM side, i.e. the SQL query statements part of the connector...