Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  How to create release parameter.

Posted Jun 27, 2018 11:14 AM

Hi i have created component and actions.

And also using environments-> process execution , i am execute the process.

But instead of running through above process i am planning to deploy using Deployment plan by project.

Now i did all the needed details. But have some query how to create release parameter. How this used in manifest file in deployment plan.

So can you please help me out how to create manifest file based on our release parameter.

Thanks in advance

• 2.  Re: How to create release parameter.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 27, 2018 11:34 AM

Hello Salaom,

You would create a release parameter the same exact way you create other parameters in RA - in the parameters pane while you are creating your actions and designing your processes (or shared components). There are options when creating parameters on whether it is:

• Internal
    • Release
    • Environment

When you create/use a release parameter, publish the process where its used, and then add it to a deployment plan then you'll see a section where you can drill into the step and see what release parameters are available. These parameters can either be manually defined before submitting the deployment or you can load them via a manifest file (download/load manifest file options are available at the deployment plan page). But you will only see it list that release parameter in the downloaded manifest if the deployment plan that you downloaded the manifest from has a step that uses published process with a release parameter.

I hope this helps. If not then please let us know what you feel is missing.

Kind regards,

Gregg

• 3.  Re: How to create release parameter.

Posted Jun 27, 2018 11:45 AM

Hi Gregg,

Thanks for your response.

So i understood in process design we can create release parameter.

How it is integrated with deployment plan.

How it is used in manifest file.

What is the use of manifest file.. Since i ineed manifest file is used for deployment time.

Can you please help me by sharing doc or any reference details for my reference.

Thanks in advance....

• 4.  Re: How to create release parameter.
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 27, 2018 12:27 PM

Hi Salaom,

Release Parameters are given their values via editing them in either:

1. The deployment plan (by clicking/opening the step, navigating to release parameters, and providing values); or

2. The deployment plan by loading a manifest file which you have previously downloaded and provided values for. 

A deployment plan that has release parameters cannot execute (last i knew) without providing values for those release parameters. 

This URL touches on some of the differences/properties associated with parameters:

Parameters - CA Release Automation - 6.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

This URL describes how you can go about preparing a manifest file while testing a process that uses release parameters:

Execute a Process - CA Release Automation - 6.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

This URL touches on some migration best practices. There is a section there that highlights some capabilities of the Pre-plan phase of which I see it says you can use it to set Release parameters. I am not sure if it is saying that the pre-plan can load values to the release parameters via some kind of action that loads manifests to a deployment plan OR if it is referring to setting the release parameters using the "ROC - Set Release Parameter" action.

Migration Best Practices - CA Release Automation - 6.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Please let us know if there is anything else that isn't clear. 

Kind regards,

Gregg 

• 5.  Re: How to create release parameter.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 27, 2018 12:31 PM

Hello Salaom Pradeep,

Please find answer to your question.

How release parameter are integrated to deployment plan?

Release parameter are used in a process and these process are mapped to either deployment steps, Initialization etc. Once the template or deployment plan is created using the process which are using the Release Parameter it will show on the ROC UI. For example screen shot below. Release parameter expect the value to be there before the process using them is executed.

How release parameter are used in manifest file?

Once you have created the template or deployment plan you will see below options which is out of the box feature of the product to generate automatic manifest file based on your template or deployment plan design.

Template-> Generate Manifest                                         Deployment Plan->Manifest->Download a manifest template

Once you downloaded the manifest file from respective stage you need to fill the values in place holder. For example in above example expected values are two release parameters.

Sample manifest file generated automatic

The value filled above is Rparam1 and Rparam2

Now you can load this manifest file into the deployment and the parameter values from this file will be filled in respective release parameters.

Regards,

Saurabh

• 6.  Re: How to create release parameter.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 04, 2018 04:39 AM

Hi Salaom,

If you don't have any questions, could you please click "Mark Correct" on Gregg's or Saurabh's answer?

If you need more help, please let us know.

Thanks in advance.

Yas