DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Reduce/eliminate number of alarms from devices connected to main node/device

Posted Aug 16, 2019 08:21 AM
    Hello,

I have a quick question which I raised to CA support but they said that it's out of their scope.

Below is a scenario I have in my current network and would like to know if this is applicable:

If multiple devices connected to a main node/device, for example; multiple computers and devices are connected to the switch. Logically, if the switch is down or corrupted for any reason (I will get an alarm for this, which is currently happening and I want it), the devices like computers, network storages will not be reachable as the main node is down.

Once the main node/device is down, I will get alarms on the devices connected to the main node/device (Which I don't want, and want to avoid it).

What I would like to know if there is a way to reduce/eliminate number of alarms, so once the main node/device is unreachable for example, I just need to get an alarm for the main node, not for the rest of the devices connected to to.

Please advise if this is applicable.

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Reduce/eliminate number of alarms from devices connected to main node/device

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 16, 2019 09:04 AM
    Yes, you can use a nas preprocessing rule to make the device alarms invisible or exclude them when the main node/device is down as long as you can filter them out.

Steve

------------------------------
    [Designation]
    [City]

• 3.  RE: Reduce/eliminate number of alarms from devices connected to main node/device

Posted Aug 16, 2019 02:47 PM
    a user tag could be used to easily identify all alarms coming from these end devices.

Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 4.  RE: Reduce/eliminate number of alarms from devices connected to main node/device

Posted Aug 23, 2019 07:39 AM
    Hi Stephen,

Could you please provide more details on how this can be accomplished through NAS Pre-processing Rules.

More details, screenshots, or example can be useful.

Thanks,

• 5.  RE: Reduce/eliminate number of alarms from devices connected to main node/device

Posted Aug 23, 2019 07:42 AM
    Hello Stephen,

Thanks for your feedback.

Could you please provide more details on how this can be accomplished through NAS Pre-Processing Rules .

More details, screenshots, or example will be useful.

Thanks,

• 6.  RE: Reduce/eliminate number of alarms from devices connected to main node/device

Posted Aug 17, 2019 11:43 AM
    If this is a one off situation with a well known set of sources it can be done with triggers (net_connect trigger for server = yes AND net_connect trigger for switch = no for instance)

If it is generic - servers on far side of switch for instance - you want to search the forum for "correlation" . There are a number of discussions of the process.

-Garin

• 7.  RE: Reduce/eliminate number of alarms from devices connected to main node/device

Posted Aug 19, 2019 10:30 AM
    ​Hello
    You can check the nas storm protection.

You can play with nas pre-processing scripting combine with alarm_enrichment rule.

You can create a pre-processing rule for an inactive robot alarm that will search for an alarm of the main switch, if the alarm exists it will do X, it the alarm does not exist it will do Y.

You can remove the inactive robot alarm and check it yourself with net_connect. They could have all the same suppression key (so only the count go up) and with pre-processing rules you add a note with the server name to the alarm.

You can create a bash /powershell script that will check the port status and doing the output the way you want and check it with logmon. Example: There's X servers down and to know which one are down you will need to check it manually. Same script could have a parameter that give the server name down and a parameter to only have the amount.

Thanks

• 8.  RE: Reduce/eliminate number of alarms from devices connected to main node/device

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 19, 2019 01:02 PM
    This may help you:

Article title: Suppress the alarms for Application specific events in nas
    https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=109971

Senior Support Engineer
    Broadcom