Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

xog.client and V13.3

• 1.  xog.client and V13.3

Posted Jan 03, 2014 11:29 AM

Does anyone know if the xog.client screen has been removed in V13.3 or if you need to enable its access?

It works in V13.2 but on V13.3 it gives an error message of

Error Error 503 - Service Unavailable. The requested service is temporarily unavailable but should be restored in the future. Try again later. If you are still experiencing problems, contact your system administrator 

Regards,

Dave

• 2.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Jan 04, 2014 10:10 AM

If that is something that a reboot does not fix then check the CSA setting for enabling the XOG screen which is introduced in some 13.x version.

Martti K.

• 3.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 04, 2014 11:48 AM

Hi Dave,

XOG.Client in browser was never a supported way of xogging and in 13.3 that is taken away.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 4.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Jan 06, 2014 09:48 PM

Thank you so much for this information Suman, I was going crazy trying to find the "XOG Web client enable" option. laugh

Kind regards

Patricio 

• 5.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 06, 2014 10:41 PM

Thanks, could you kindly mark the post as resolved if you are ok with the answer provided.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 6.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Jan 06, 2014 10:58 PM

Hi Suman, I would love to, but i think Dave is the one that should mark it as resolved.  I didn't post the question in the first place.

Kind regards

• 7.  RE: xog.client and V13.3
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 07, 2014 03:20 AM

Suman, Thank you for the responce

Dave

• 8.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Jan 07, 2014 04:36 AM
    prasu09:
    .....and in 13.3 that is taken away.

Wow - thats a really unfriendly change!  sad

no

• 9.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Jan 17, 2014 06:08 PM

In truth, it's quite friendly!  The Clarity is made up of different 'servlets' within the application service.  The 'app' and 'nu' servlets were not intended to be used for XOG traffic and the page existed only as a developer shortcut.  There is a large burden placed upon these servlets for XOG traffic (by orders of magnitude in memory compared to the 'xog' servlet) because it was never meant for end-user use.  This would result in many instances of Clarity server outages that would make the system unavailable in the best case, and in worse cases result in lost work/data.  In some cases even an XML file that is under 20MB in physical size could cause a thread in the app servlet to exceed 1GB to process.

There have been a number of changes to XOG behaviour in 13.3 all intended to improve the overall user experience, of which this was one.

If a pseudo-graphical UI is preferred for performing XOG actions over the console based XOG client, I would recommend using one like SoapUI (there's a personal edition that is free to use).

• 10.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Jan 18, 2014 09:47 AM
    nick_darlington:

In truth, it's quite friendly!

OK then...

Dave:

Wow - thats a FUNCTIONALLY really unfriendly change!  sad

Thanks for the "why" explanation then Nick. smiley

• 11.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Jan 20, 2014 05:05 PM

"In truth, it's quite friendly!  " do disagree with that.

There simply is not anything firiendly in the console based XOG client.

Come on now. Clarity and the UI is being developed towards mobile devices, apparently because the users prefer to use them.

For years users have been asking for better UI for XOGing. Now removing the unlisted page is the answer.

The UI for should be more user friendly and less technical (even less technical than the console based XOG client.

A development tool is not the solution. If that is the only option it will continue the thrend: those who have the technical skills will developt their own Graphical interface and commercialize it like some of the partners and CA services have already done. Those who cannot will be dissatisfied with the product over all.

Is there any data available about what kind of user acceptance this change received?

I understand the Clarity system admins may feel it is better if users not aware of the limitations conistently cause OOM errors. Basically that is not ane different result than the users making large Exports to Excel. For the the solution was to limit the data not to eliminate.

A better way to deal with this would have been a better graphical GUI with restrictions for the amount of data if needed.

If you serach through these message boards you can see the there are many users who complain (and many who just live with it) the large amounts data overhead XOG creats in he output files which many times are used as input files. I should consider that to be more the reason for the problems.

Martti K.

• 12.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Jan 21, 2014 05:34 AM

c'mon Martti,

there is a perfectly fine GUI for XOG, with buttons and stuff...

java -cp lib\xog.jar com.niku.xog.gui.XogGui 0

wink

See you on Monday!

Cheers! :-)

• 13.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Jan 30, 2014 10:25 PM

any way to post what that may look like, and secondly, how one might use that on an ondemand server?

• 14.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Jan 31, 2014 05:32 AM

This is how it looks in v13.1.

In order to run that you need to launch it from the server from the XOG folder. So not likely you can use that with OnDemand.

Martti K.

• 15.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Jan 31, 2014 02:36 PM

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but please be aware that this isn't a supported client.

Using it isn't an issue, but it isn't a maintained part of the product or provided for customer use, it would be like using a bespoke written XOG client.  If it is successful that is fine, but if it fails, the same problem would have to occur with the supported xog client in order for it to be a viable fault.

That said, it can be used and not only on servers.  However, the invocation as it is given isn't suitable (namely, the classpath is insufficient and you'll hit lots of 'class not found' errors, and the memory settings aren't supplied for it to use).

To assist with that, I would suggest creating a .bat file in the place you installed the XOG client to and populating it with the following:

@echo off
    setlocal enableDelayedExpansion
    for %%i in (lib\*.jar) do set MYCP=!MYCP!;%%i
    set MYCP=%MYCP:~7%

start /MIN java -cp %MYCP% -Xms512m -Xmx1024m com.niku.xog.gui.XogGui %CD% %CD%

You can adjust/tune the memory parameters as preferred.

This should then be able to run from a client, but it still isn't applicable for use with OnDemand environments (sorry) or some on-premise ones because this doesn't work with https/ssl connections.

• 16.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Jan 31, 2014 03:01 PM

Thanks and thanks for the tips.

"If it is successful that is fine" is the way I like. If it isnot then you use something else that works.

Martti K.

• 17.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Jan 07, 2014 05:35 PM

Incase of Clarity OnDemand, how should we use XOG functionality in V13.3?

• 18.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Jan 08, 2014 03:46 AM
    sdharma:

Incase of Clarity OnDemand, how should we use XOG functionality in V13.3?

In the usual normal (supported) way - via the exposed APIs (read the manuals!)

The application webpage was only ever an unsupported, undocumented "trick", it should never have been used in a "production" scenario.

• 19.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Feb 03, 2014 06:34 AM

Ooops!!! xog.client not in V13.3? surprise I am sure many will be missing it as I surely do! sad

It helped us a lot to do atleast those simple xogs like lookups, queries, portlets etc, especially for someone who is yet to install the XOG client in his new machine!

• 20.  Re: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Mar 17, 2016 02:54 PM

Hey,

In the docs i saw

To install the cross-platform XOG client

1. Log in to CA Clarity.

2. Click the Administration menu, and select Client Downloads from the General

Settings menu.

The client downloads page appears.

3. Click Download for the Cross-platform ZIP.

The File Download dialog box appears.

4. Click Save and save the xogclient.zip file to your local computer.

5. Create a local folder named xogclient and extract the xogclient.zip files to the

folder.

6. (UNIX only) From the bin directory, run the following command:

chmod +x run.sh

But I am unable to find a link to actually download it. can you please help me in this?

• 21.  Re: xog.client and V13.3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 18, 2016 02:02 AM

XOG software is provided as part of CA PPM, once you download from the same you need to install it.

• 22.  Re: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Mar 18, 2016 04:51 AM

pramodsetlur wrote:

But I am unable to find a link to actually download it. can you please help me in this?

The application user that you are logged into the Clarity/PPM application with requires the "Administration - XOG" global access right (and "Administration - Navigate") in order to have the link available to them.

• 23.  Re: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Mar 18, 2016 06:13 AM

Firstly you have better chances of getting responses if you post new questions as new discussions and not in the middle into an old discussions which is already answered.

Yes you need the right

When you got the right you have go to the right place

When that fails you can get the  client from the server

• 24.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Feb 02, 2014 02:30 PM

Thanks, but not really.

The benefit of the XOG GUI client was ease of use without the need for coding skills or commercial products.

Martti K.

• 25.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Feb 11, 2014 09:23 AM

As a workaround we created our own custom portlet to replace the xog.client action:

https://gist.github.com/itdesign/8935614

Let me now how this works for you guys!

Note: the xog must not contain the xml preamble (i.e. "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>"). Use at your own risk.

We at itdesign have created a bunch of browser-side tools and addons to make working with Clarity much easier for administrators / developers. If there is enough interest we might make them available for the general public to use. If you are interested please leave a note.

Regards, Christopher

http://www.itdesign.de

• 26.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Feb 11, 2014 02:40 PM

Wow, thank you kindly. That certainly works nice. Tried it with a couple of files with minimum data for one user and one resource. Does even the non ascii nls characters.

It appears that you cannot clear the output window, so if the results from consequent operations are the same do you really know if your operation was done or not?

Not supported I take it?

Martti K.

• 27.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Feb 13, 2014 04:32 AM
    another_martink:

It appears that you cannot clear the output window, so if the results from consequent operations are the same do you really know if your operation was done or not?

Not supported I take it?

Hey Martti, glad it worked for you.

Actually when you hit the "run"-button the output text is temporarily set to "Processing...". This might happen so quickly that you may not notice it.

Alternatively, if you remove the "readonly" from the following line, you will get an editable xog output textarea:

<textarea rows="16" cols="120" ... id="xog-output" readonly></textarea>

Any other feedback is welcome!

Christopher from itdesign

• 28.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Feb 13, 2014 05:05 AM

Thanks for responding.

What might be the limitations like max input or output file?

If you try bigger than that will it kill the system as the old unsupported GUI clients was supposed to do?

Are you in LInkenIn?

Martti K:

• 29.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Feb 13, 2014 08:20 AM
    another_martink:

Thanks for responding.

What might be the limitations like max input or output file?

If you try bigger than that will it kill the system as the old unsupported GUI clients was supposed to do?

Are you in LInkenIn?

Martti K:

We haven't tested for any limitations but since we are using the xog web service the same restrictions apply as if you were calling xog via the command line client or via a GEL script.

Also maybe not the xog client is "killing the system" but the actual slow XOG operation? :)

Currently I am not on LinkedIn, but you may contact me here: CL(ÄT)itdesign(d0t)de

• 30.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Feb 13, 2014 05:40 AM

Hi Chris,

For me, it is showing 'Processing..' and is not generating anything in output window

• 31.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Feb 13, 2014 08:16 AM
    neetu_guglani:

Hi Chris,

For me, it is showing 'Processing..' and is not generating anything in output window

Hey there,

sadly there is no eloborate error handling yet. When it continues to show "Processing..." there was some kind of error with the XOG-Call.

Are you maybe sending the XML preable (i.e. "<?xml ...>") ? if so you have to remove it.

Can you share the XOG you are trying to apply?

• 32.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted May 05, 2014 06:24 AM
      |   view attached

Hi

xog.client functionality is not removed on clarity 13.3. just disabled the functionality.

• 33.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted May 19, 2014 04:14 AM

How did you find it and how do you enable it?

Totally unsupported I take it?

Martti K.

• 34.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted May 19, 2014 04:45 AM

Hi

It's been removed. And therefore, it's not supported (but it was never really supported by Support since it was a shortcurt to troubleshoot / test specific quick xogs for CA internal use).

• 35.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted May 19, 2014 05:22 AM

As a non-CA developer, I (and most others it seems) find the XOG client a giant p.i.t.a. to use - especially for quick and dirty xogs and testing snippets of code for gel scripts.

The xog.client screen gave us a shortcut and removing it instead of giving us a friendly option is irritating and frustrating.

I can understand that there are technical issues with the previous incarnation - but not having a built-in client is annoying the very people that are Clarity's greatest supporters. 

• 36.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 19, 2014 09:07 AM

I understand what you are saying, and my recommendation would be that, on top of this discussion, you post a new "Idea" on this Community (and engage other users to vote it!).

These are being taken into account when developing new Clarity versions, and even if there are valid reasons to remove xog.client, there might be a middle ground or different option that can be considered for the inclusion in a future release.

Regards,

Marc

• 37.  RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted May 19, 2014 01:51 PM

IMHO we already know what is the CA resolution to the XOG usability problem: The Data Migration Tool which is a commercial product.

See the webinar 2013-06-19

However, that is more than user firendly GUI to XOG. It is a integration tool for the techies and not an aid for the functional guys who have to do some data transfers.

We hear what CA is saying, but we do not agree with it.

Let us do the it the opposite way: Lets put up and idea to drop the XOG GUI client and see how much suppor that gets.

Martti K.

• 38.  Re: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Nov 19, 2014 02:14 AM

Before proceeding with the changes mentioned by Sundar, please make a note of what has been informed -

"There is a large burden placed upon these servlets for XOG traffic (by orders of magnitude in memory compared to the 'xog' servlet) because it was never meant for end-user use.  This would result in many instances of Clarity server outages that would make the system unavailable in the best case, and in worse cases result in lost work/data.  In some cases even an XML file that is under 20MB in physical size could cause a thread in the app servlet to exceed 1GB to process."

NJ

• 39.  Re: RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Oct 15, 2014 05:58 AM

Hi Senthil,

We are also upgrading to Clarity 13.3 and came to know that xog.client feature does not exist which was very helpful. I just come across this post and happy to hear that this feature can be enabled and know that is not supported. Still we would like to know how did you enable this feature.

Thanks & Regards,

Rekha.

• 40.  Re: RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Nov 19, 2014 01:47 AM

The following Steps which is use for Enable xog.client on clarity 13.3. This is not recommended. But just for knowledge.

1. Go to  <Clarity Home>\META-INF\xog\wmd folder
    2. Open xog.xml file
    3. Modify active=”true” on pageaction id=”xog.client” (refer below screen shot)

1. Clear the application caches (security.caches)
    2. Access the xog.client from application

Thanks

Senthil

• 41.  Re: RE: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Nov 19, 2014 12:33 PM

Please note that activation of the xog.client is not supported.   It opens your environment up to the risk of having users be able to run XOG operations that will cause out of memory conditions.   (see Nick's note above.)  

-shawn

• 42.  Re: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Nov 19, 2014 02:15 AM

Before proceeding with the changes mentioned by Sundar, please make a note of what has been informed -

"There is a large burden placed upon these servlets for XOG traffic (by orders of magnitude in memory compared to the 'xog' servlet) because it was never meant for end-user use.  This would result in many instances of Clarity server outages that would make the system unavailable in the best case, and in worse cases result in lost work/data.  In some cases even an XML file that is under 20MB in physical size could cause a thread in the app servlet to exceed 1GB to process."

NJ

• 43.  Re: xog.client and V13.3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 20, 2014 11:32 PM

If you are looking for a graphical XOG client, give XMLSpear a shot. There is a version specifically make to work with Clarity. Look for it on the download page. The developer is called Donkey Development. Google XMLSpear to find a link to their site. 

• 44.  Re: xog.client and V13.3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 18, 2016 12:08 PM

Check out and vote for this idea:

Include a web based XOG tool (e.g. ITROI XOG Bridge) with the install of CA PPM

There is a partner tool that is quite nice for performing XOG activities.

• 45.  Re: xog.client and V13.3

Posted Apr 08, 2016 12:11 PM

As Kathyryn mentioned there is a FREE web based version available on line (https://xogbridge.itroisolutions.com/ ) for On Demand users.  For those on premise users that are interested in this web interface inside their network, please contact customer-support@itroisolutions.com, and they would be happy to help.

The XOG bridge contains 3 basic functions:

1- perform XOG actions (xog read/write) either one file, or in bulk

2- execute and write queries directly through the API layer (excellent for data extracts or running queries without DB access)

3- Data loader  easy GUI to map csv/xls files to XML files.

hope this helps.

Federico