Rally Software

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

has anyone connected Rally to power BI i need to pull soem metrics report on agile releases and lookign for a connection

Anon Anon

Anon AnonAug 18, 2016 01:34 AM

• 1.  has anyone connected Rally to power BI i need to pull soem metrics report on agile releases and lookign for a connection

Posted Aug 18, 2016 01:34 AM

• 2.  RE: has anyone connected Rally to power BI i need to pull soem metrics report on agile releases and lookign for a connection

Posted Jun 18, 2019 03:22 PM
    I've got the same question. Want to avoid the manual export route. Has anyone used any Rally API's to wire it as a data source for Power BI?

------------------------------
    Benefitfocus.com, Inc

• 3.  RE: has anyone connected Rally to power BI i need to pull soem metrics report on agile releases and lookign for a connection

Posted Feb 28, 2020 11:09 AM
    Same question here - has anyone connected Rally to Power BI?

Terry Ginzburg

• 4.  RE: has anyone connected Rally to power BI i need to pull soem metrics report on agile releases and lookign for a connection

Posted Feb 29, 2020 01:41 PM
    Hi, 

yes, I've done that and am pretty happy with results.
    Ask me anything on this, will be happy to help.

Inna

• 5.  RE: has anyone connected Rally to power BI i need to pull soem metrics report on agile releases and lookign for a connection

Posted Mar 01, 2020 01:50 PM
    Hello Inna,

What was the solution and would you be able to share.

Regards,

• 6.  RE: has anyone connected Rally to power BI i need to pull soem metrics report on agile releases and lookign for a connection
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 01, 2020 02:59 PM

Hello Mohi,

I've ended up creating a query that pulled all USs for a period of time.

Then another one for all Defects for the same period of time.

Both brought almost all the fields.

Set PowerBI to use WEB sources:

https://rally1.rallydev.com/slm/webservice/v2.0/hierarchicalrequirement

https://rally1.rallydev.com/slm/webservice/v2.0/defect

(I used WSAPI to model basic query and get the URL that included my specific workspace, "fetch" word to pick all the fields and set up max of results)

Connected using API key.

Once connected, I've followed the Power BI basic steps to organize the data in both sets:

• Converted JSON to Table
    • Expanded reference type fields to get referenced data (e.g. user, project)
    • Renamed columns and changed type in one case
    • Merged other columns

Once the data was prepared,

I've started playing with filters and visualizations.

I've done this in corporate settings so unfortunately I could not show the actual data or settings.

The main thing is that it was amazingly easy to get the first meaningful results. Just follow the Power BI basic tutorial.

Inna

• 7.  RE: has anyone connected Rally to power BI i need to pull soem metrics report on agile releases and lookign for a connection

Posted Aug 26, 2020 01:55 PM
    Hi,
    I'm currently working on something very similar, but I am running into issues connecting to the API using power query. Could you go into more detail about your process getting the JSON response (without the API key of course!)?

• 8.  RE: has anyone connected Rally to power BI i need to pull soem metrics report on agile releases and lookign for a connection

Posted Aug 26, 2020 03:48 PM
    Hi Zeb, 

for small query that results in less than 2K results and so can be pulled in a single page, I defined the connection details in the Data Source settings

https://rally1.rallydev.com/slm/webservice/v2.0/defect?workspace=https://rally1.rallydev.com/slm/webservice/v2.0/workspace/777777&query=(here goes  Rally query)&fetch=true&order=ObjectID&start=1&pagesize=2000

Put the above URL into Data source URL field, 
    from 'Open file as' select JSON.

For authentication:
    Data source settings -> Edit permissions -> Basic -> enter the API key in the Name field and leave password field blank.

That's it.
    Inna

• 9.  RE: has anyone connected Rally to power BI i need to pull soem metrics report on agile releases and lookign for a connection

Posted Oct 22, 2021 06:22 PM
    Hi Inna, please can you let me know how to get user email address for owner of the defect after this? i am able to fetch defects but cant seem to get user email address for owners of defect

• 10.  RE: has anyone connected Rally to power BI i need to pull soem metrics report on agile releases and lookign for a connection

Posted Oct 24, 2021 10:13 AM
    Hi Pranav, 

I display the user Name, but not their email. To get it you would need to follow the "Owner.ref" link and then take the EmailAddress.
    I did not need this so did not explore it further.

Inna

• 11.  RE: has anyone connected Rally to power BI i need to pull soem metrics report on agile releases and lookign for a connection

Posted Oct 25, 2021 02:28 AM
    Thank you, i have seen the owner.ref but have not explored how to convert those into email addresses, i know it relates.. but have to explore the solution.

PK

• 12.  RE: has anyone connected Rally to power BI i need to pull soem metrics report on agile releases and lookign for a connection

Posted Apr 25, 2022 03:20 PM

I am getting this error when i try to connect. Any idea on how to handle it.

• 13.  RE: has anyone connected Rally to power BI i need to pull soem metrics report on agile releases and lookign for a connection

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 21, 2023 09:27 PM

Came across this question.

In case anyone runs into this issue, In the Access Web content page, select Basic tab, enter the API key (as hidden in the screenshot above) in the User name field