Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

AWA v12.2 inter-process communication

• 1.  AWA v12.2 inter-process communication

Posted Aug 30, 2018 04:56 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jul 29, 2019 05:43 AM
      |   view attached

I put together a diagram describing the inter-process communication in AWA v12.2, based on the Server Processes documentation page.

• With the exception of message queues, only work processes communicate with the UC4 DB.
    • The primary work process maintains a connection with every other WP.
    • Each work process maintains a connection with every communications process.
    • Each connection from the AWI, or Java API-based app, or agent is established with a single communications process.
    • The java communications process handles REST API requests and a subset of AWI functions such as advanced object search.

Attachment(s)

• 2.  Re: AWA v12.2 inter-process communication

Posted Aug 30, 2018 08:16 AM

I'm not sure the diagonal line between the AWI and the JCP is correct. Does the AWI talk directly to the JCP?

• 3.  Re: AWA v12.2 inter-process communication

Posted Feb 05, 2019 03:39 AM

I'm not sure the diagonal line between the AWI and the JCP is correct. Does the AWI talk directly to the JCP?

In a comment, Robert Thullner confirmed that the AWI does communicate directly with the JCP for some functions:

[T]he AWI only uses the REST API partly, as not all functionality is available via the REST API yet. The communication between AWI and the backend is still mainly via the Java API.

• 4.  Re: AWA v12.2 inter-process communication

Posted Aug 30, 2018 11:59 AM

I believe that each CP has communication to the AE DB directly

• 5.  Re: AWA v12.2 inter-process communication

Posted Aug 30, 2018 12:01 PM
    But just for message queues, no?

• 6.  Re: AWA v12.2 inter-process communication

Posted Aug 30, 2018 12:15 PM

Yes, that is my understanding. I would have to run a trace with srvquery=1 in the AE ini to be sure but that is the only function I could see using something other than the MQ tables.

I now see that you have a bullet point for this and I think that is sufficient for not adding extra clutter to the diagram.

• 7.  RE: Re: AWA v12.2 inter-process communication

Posted Jul 31, 2019 07:13 AM

Hi,

to my best knowledge:

Well, each UC4 Server Process has a connection to the database, regardless of the Server Process Type.

A CP will mainly work with MQ tables, however it uses other tables than MQ* as well. Think about the various settings in client 0, which needs to be read by a CP as well. I think the DIVDB tables is used as well by a CP, etc.

Cheers, Josef

------------------------------
    Application Manager
    Raiffeisen Informatik GmbH
    ------------------------------

• 8.  RE: Re: AWA v12.2 inter-process communication

Posted Jul 31, 2019 08:52 AM
    OK, but only WPs write to AE DB tables other than message queues. Right?

• 9.  RE: AWA v12.2 inter-process communication

Posted Jul 30, 2019 12:01 PM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jul 31, 2019 05:31 AM
    Would someone from Broadcom be so kind as to provide a detailed description of IPC in AE v12.3?

I'd like the following information:
    • How does each program decide what ports to bind for listening sockets?
    • What connections does each process open, based on what information, and to which other process(es)?
    • What is the precise order of operations during connection/reconnection?

• 10.  RE: AWA v12.2 inter-process communication

Posted Jul 31, 2019 04:11 AM
    Seconded.

I have a ticket open for that purpose, too. If I get something, I'll relay it here.​

• 11.  RE: AWA v12.2 inter-process communication

Posted Jul 31, 2019 04:24 AM
    Well, they closed my ticket now based on the submission that the WP do not use TCP ports in 12.3 anymore, and the link to the updated part of the manual. My request for some implementation details was wholy ignored, and I was also not asked, as sometimes previously, whether the solution is to my satisfaction.

So no, there won't be anything more forthcoming from that ticket.

• 12.  RE: AWA v12.2 inter-process communication

Posted Jul 31, 2019 05:31 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jul 31, 2019 05:31 AM
    Typical of the new support organization, unfortunately. They are zealous about closing tickets.

Let's hope we get a response here.

• 13.  RE: AWA v12.2 inter-process communication

Posted Aug 01, 2019 01:34 AM
    I had my support ticket closed for query about v12.2 JCP ports as well.  Was hoping the 12.3 doco would be updated with better information, but alas, it is exactly the same doco.  The same diagonal line from AWI to JCP port 8443 but JCP uses port of CP.  Will be interesting to see if anyone can get a detailed explanation and post it here.

• 14.  RE: AWA v12.2 inter-process communication

Posted Aug 22, 2019 03:26 AM
    @Robert Thullner & @David Ainsworth: And chance we could get answers to these questions? ​​