DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  CA UIM HA Probe with Two different OS platform

Posted Aug 22, 2019 11:49 AM
    Hi All,

Can we run HA on two different OS version (Windows 2008 & 2012)?

Scenario here is , we are using UIM 8.51 on Windows 2008R2 platform. as 2008 is EOL in near future. we have to upgrade our windows OS to 2012 or 2016. 
    CA UIM in configured in HA. 
    we are working on following approach to achieve the same, 

1. If you have HA environment, Primary fail over to secondary and then do the fresh install of UIM on latest OS. ( Same UIM domain and all setting )
    2. Then fail back to new primary and fresh install the secondary and follow same to secondary site also.

Will this work? Any documentation, best practices so we can look at the learning or any suggestion to successfully upgrade the OS.

A case was also opened with support but didn't get any fruitful answer. 

Do we have anyone here who have faced such scenario. 

Sachin Singh 

• 2.  RE: CA UIM HA Probe with Two different OS platform

Posted Aug 22, 2019 02:06 PM
    I have done HA with different Linux versions with no issues - really the OS shouldn't matter since HA is only testing the availability of the hub probe on the other server.

The fail over/fail back scenario is technically valid. When I looked at it for our environment it didn't make much sense.

The UIM install is very simplistic - really the only thing that's dependant on windows is the creation of the service and I think there's a command line way of doing that.

So what I've done in the past is
    - install a fresh OS install on the secondary system
    - install a fresh UIM install on secondary
    - stop UIM on primary and secondary
    - copy the nimsoft directory from the primary to the secondary in its entirety
    - shut down the primary OS completely and disconnect from network
    - give the secondary the IP/hostname/etc of the primary 
    - start up UIM on the "secondary become new primary" system.

If things are good, wipe old primary and rebuild. If not good, turn off new server and restart original primary.

The time spent fooling with HA and ensuring things are consistent and fixed up after the flipping back and forth was way more effort than just acknowledging there was going to be a downtime while the files were copied.