DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

What circumstances cause change detection to be disabled for the interface metric family in 3.2? Change detection is enabled and scheduled to run every 24 hours in the associated monitoring profile.

• 1.  What circumstances cause change detection to be disabled for the interface metric family in 3.2? Change detection is enabled and scheduled to run every 24 hours in the associated monitoring profile.

Posted Nov 29, 2017 03:03 PM

Interfaces were missing from a device so the metric family was manually updated. The discovery found many new interfaces and also generated two reconfiguration events. One was the normal "The re-discovery of family 'Interface" Completed." and the other was "Change detection is enabled for metric family "Interface'". That suggests change detection had been disabled previously. What causes change detection to become disabled on an individual device?  Change detection is enabled and scheduled to run every 24 hours in the associated monitoring profile.  Change detection is functioning normally on other devices with the same monitoring profile.

• 2.  Re: What circumstances cause change detection to be disabled for the interface metric family in 3.2? Change detection is enabled and scheduled to run every 24 hours in the associated monitoring profile.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 30, 2017 03:07 PM

Hi Lisa,

That does sound strange. Odd that at the same time the MP was working fine for other devices that are linked to it.

Is this a default or custom Monitoring Profile?

Can you share any more details in this public forum from the Events you referenced? If you go back as far as we can (default is 2 weeks of retention) in an Event report, is there also an event referencing any changes the Monitoring Profile aside from the Event referenced?

I've reached out to my support and engineering teammates to get their input as well.

Thanks,

Mike

• 3.  Re: What circumstances cause change detection to be disabled for the interface metric family in 3.2? Change detection is enabled and scheduled to run every 24 hours in the associated monitoring profile.

Posted Nov 30, 2017 04:22 PM

Hi Mike,

It's a custom monitoring profile.  The only two events, as far back as I can see, are the ones I referenced in my original comment.  No other events were displayed.

The device has been in our system since 7/24/17.

Thanks,

Lisa

• 4.  Re: What circumstances cause change detection to be disabled for the interface metric family in 3.2? Change detection is enabled and scheduled to run every 24 hours in the associated monitoring profile.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 19, 2017 04:23 PM

Given that information, I don't see a simple explanation for what was observed.

At this point I'd say if the problem continues or is reproducible, it is best opened as a new support case for formal investigation.