DX NetOps Manager

Expand all | Collapse all

enable live links between switches

Jump to Best Answer

Silvio Okamoto10-28-2014 11:43 AM

• 1.  enable live links between switches

Posted 10-27-2014 09:13 AM

How can I enable the live links between switched globally?  Please don't tell me I have to edit some obscure XML file somewhere and copy it to some folder

• 2.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-27-2014 09:32 AM

We setup a global collection to bring in all the links we wanted and then

applied a policy to that global collection to enable live links. If you

need details i may be able to pull something together.

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 8:13 AM, opnet <

• 3.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-27-2014 09:35 AM

Sounds like a winner to me.  Let me know what I need to do and thanks for your help.

• 4.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-27-2014 01:06 PM

You can automate this in the Policy Manager.

Basically you have to set the LockConnection attribute (0x129f1) to Lock(1) on both sides of the Link/Pipe.

First you have to search for port models where NetworkLinkType attribute (0x12a79) is not-equal-to 0, or unknown. This means the search will return all ports that are connected to another port.

Then launch the Attribute Editor, add the Lock Connection attribute under the User Defined Attributes folder as follows:

LockConnection attribute (0x129f1)

And set the value to Lock(1)

• 5.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-27-2014 01:17 PM

Forget about LockConnection attribute (0x129f1) to Lock(1), it is not for Live Link.

• 6.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-28-2014 06:35 AM

Policy Manager is the way to go. There is actually a predefined template for it.

Select the Policy Manager and open the List tab.

Click the create policy button and click the clipboard icon when you get to the add rule dialog to select a predefined rule setting. There you will find a Live Pipes template which includes the 5 attributes you need to enable live pipes.

In the past (when it was all done through xml without global collections) there were a number of default searches you could use for ports. I would look to those as best practice to define the global collection you want to apply the policy to. For all ports they used ok_to_poll (0x11dd8) and search for TRUE or FALSE. This selects all models which have this attribute, so all ports. For other links they would look at the NetworkLinkType (0x12a79) and select the link type you are interested in.

• 7.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-28-2014 11:43 AM

Michiel is correct.

Enable_Live_Link_Policy_Manager.png

• 8.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-28-2014 03:17 PM

Thanks a lot for the screen shots but after I am done how long will it take Spectrum to enable the live links?

• 9.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-28-2014 04:13 PM

You will have to apply it to a global collection which contains the ports that you want to include, but it shouldn't take very long. Depends on the number of ports of course, but it should start enabling them right away and shouldn't take more than a few minutes to complete.

• 10.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-28-2014 04:20 PM

Make sure the dynamic GC rule is correct, it is in my first reply, use the NetworkLinkType attribute (0x12a79).

• 11.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-28-2014 04:36 PM

I'm little confused on the attributes stuff.  Is this right? I changed the value from false to true

• 12.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-28-2014 05:26 PM

You can use the attributes as is, or tune some of them based on your requirements.

But make sure to apply the policy to a collection with ports and not with routers.

• 13.  Re: enable live links between switches
    Best Answer

Posted 10-28-2014 08:33 PM

You have to create a new dynamic Global Collection that will search for all ports that are connected to another port. And it will be Global Collection for Enable Live Link Rule in the Policy Manager.

I also noticed you have changed the default value of PollPortStatus (0x1280a) from False to True in the Police Manager rule. Is there any reason behind this change? Live Pipe does not need the PollPortStatus (0x1280a) value as True!

Bear in mind that you have to change the following attributes to enable the Live Link on the port model, not on the device model (and only on port model where there is a connection to another port):

■ PollPortStatus (0x1280a) - value: False

■ ok_to_poll (0x11dd8) - value: True

■ AlarmOnLinkDownTrap (0x11fc2) - value: 1

■ AssertLinkDownAlarm (0x12957) - value: True

■ GeneratePortStatusAlarms (0x12a54) - value: True

Live Pipes for individual links are disabled by default. All individual pipes are gold or silver until Live Pipes are enabled. When an individual live pipe is enabled, the ok_to_poll (0x11dd8) attribute is set to TRUE for both ports that are involved in the link. The status of the linked ports is monitored if ok_to_poll is TRUE and the port status polling conditions in the Port Status Polling Criteria section are met.

Here an example:

GC Ports to Enable Live Link.png

• 14.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-28-2014 08:36 PM

I will change it back to false and setup the global collection as you specified.

Thanks so much for all your help

• 15.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-28-2014 08:56 PM

How can anyone keep up with all these attributes? I honestly wish at times Spectrum was easier to use. 

• 16.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-28-2014 10:34 PM

I'm just looking to do trunk ports between router to switches and switches to switches not every single port on every single device in Spectrum. How can I exclude

• 17.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-28-2014 10:38 PM

I hate to say this but in Solarwinds all one has to do is right cllck an interface and choose manage. Not this CA charade I have to go through to make Spectrum do anything for me. Just needed to vent...  Been a very long day.

• 18.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-28-2014 11:21 PM

In spectrum you can right click and make it a live link too. These solutions are for bulk override of the built in intelligence that only makes "important" links into live links. 

In NV/eHealth/PM2.0 it's also much easier. But they don't compete with spectrum. 

• 19.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-28-2014 11:30 PM

Yes I do know that in Spectrum you can right click and enable the link but I have 100's of routers and switches and I just want to enable the trunk links on them. 

I hope your discussion with the future of CAPC/PM/IM prove productive 

• 20.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-29-2014 03:26 AM

I know Spectrum can be very complicated and frustrating to manage at time. I guess it comes with the development history and amount of features.

What you probably want to do is create a global collection where you use NetworkLinkType (0x12a79) as a criteria.You can use that to select only ports with router or switch links.

Some of this information can also be found in the Policy Manager User Guide.

• 21.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-29-2014 01:57 PM

I just want to create a GC to include only those ports that are trunked on a switch and a router not every single port.  Is there an attribute that I am missing

• 22.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-29-2014 02:13 PM

My gosh I think I've got it. Thanks everyone for your help.

• 23.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-29-2014 02:41 PM

Good to hear that you got it working

Could you mark the correct and helpful answers so it can help guide anyone else who comes across this thread with the same question?

• 24.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-31-2014 10:08 AM

Now that I have impressed management with the capabilities of Spectrum with live links between switches, how can I do the same for vlans that are present?

site.png

• 25.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-31-2014 11:22 AM

I have live links between the switches but I also want to enable the links that represent the vlan interfaces on the core switches.  I don't want to necessarily up every single end device connected to a switch.

• 26.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 10-31-2014 04:10 PM

You can show VLAN connectivity with the spotlight option. That is the built in functionality in Spectrum. If you want to visualize in a different way, I think you will have to use Global Collections. But I can't think of any dynamic way to do that in Spectrum.

• 27.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 11-03-2014 04:12 AM

May be you need to pull the vlan ports using a dynamic rule and then apply the policy manager to this GC.

• 28.  Re: enable live links between switches

Posted 03-11-2015 07:08 AM

Hi,

I have a question about locked links (live or not): apart for the visual aspect of it (and impressing the hierarchy ;-),

what is the benefit of it ?

Maybe I am missing something.

The problem I have encountered recently, is that, because some links were locked, "discover connection" would not refresh

the information: old links were still there and new ones were not modeled.

Why do people think that locking links is a good thing ? How do they maintain the topology ?

Thanks !

Veronique