DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

*** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Issac08

Issac08Nov 08, 2018 08:14 AM

• 1.  *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Nov 07, 2018 04:23 PM

So I figured I'd start a new UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas thread as the other one has 11 pages so far. 

Just so we can all track known bugs and defects since the Announcements page is not used on the old support site still. 

If you find any 9.x related bugs, defects, gotchas, tips please share in this thread so we can all be in the know.

If you have questions then please start a new thread and just this thread for sharing discovered bugs/issues with 9.x.

Thank you.

• 2.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Nov 08, 2018 08:14 AM

11 pages ...looks strange to hear this.

• 3.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Nov 08, 2018 09:46 AM

When deploying the latest processes probe, the new VC 2017 libraries are pushed.

When that occurred the following happened:

The process C:\Program Files (x86)\Nimsoft\vs2017_vcredist_x64\vs2017_vcredist_x64.exe (XXXXXXXDB01) has initiated the restart of computer XXXXXXXXDB01 on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Application: Installation (Planned)
    Reason Code: 0x80040002
    Shutdown Type: restart

So, with the newly installed processes probe you get an immediate test of the "check for down processes" monitors. Oh, and if you have SLAs to deal with, you also get conference calls and upset customers.

Ugh - this is just too silly

So beware - you might get bit.

• 4.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Nov 08, 2018 10:03 AM

Wow so this is the same situation that happened when they started using, upgraded to the 2010 Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Re-Distributables. I updated a processes probe and later on got a call asking why the primary Exchange server rebooted. It was b/c the vs2010_redisk_x64 package. It will cause your OS to initiate a reboot.

UIM just doesn't learn. They need to add the /norestart  option to the Miscellaneous tab arguments to this package or your going to get un-expected reboots.

This is the 2010 SP1 packaged v1.01 fixed:

This is the current vs2017_vcredist_x64 GA 1.0 package: MISSING THE /NORESTART

CA UIM dev folks you better UPDATE ASAP....

• 5.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 08, 2018 10:21 AM

Thanks for this info Daniel!  I came here to post this workaround but you're way ahead of me I see!

I've filed a defect at high priority for the development team to address this ASAP.

• 6.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 09, 2018 06:29 AM

Hello All,

A KB article is created to remediate this problem - Windows OS reboot after probe deployment - CA Knowledge 

• 7.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Nov 09, 2018 08:29 AM

i hope this issue came earlier with cdm probe , not sure why the same issue came with other probes now ,seems to be there is some lack.

Upgrading cdm probe to version 5.70 or later may c - CA Knowledge 

• 8.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 09, 2018 07:24 AM

There are new VS2017 packages for both x86 and x64. version 1.01 which addresses this.

Please remove the original packages from the archive, download and import the new ones to avoid this issue.

See https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/windows-os-reboot-after-probe-deployment/kb000120656

Regards

Rich

• 9.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Nov 08, 2018 10:16 AM

Terrifying - but at least the solution is readily available and there's no need for a level 5 log of the failure....

• 10.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Nov 14, 2018 04:15 AM

Seems to be some defect in ems 10.20. When there is HA probe running on HA hub, the ems is not able to start at all on primary server. Shutting down HA probe and ems runs nice.

• 11.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Nov 14, 2018 08:41 AM

Wow! It's worked!

How strange! Thank you so much for this tip.

Cheers,

Sam

• 12.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Nov 15, 2018 04:53 AM

Looks like new HA (v1.46) probe has been released now, and that should work with current ems version also.

• 13.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Nov 16, 2018 05:34 PM

I upgraded to HA 1.46 but the EMS probe still doesn't play if the HA probe is active.  Works fine if HA is deactivated though, just need to enable after EMS.

• 14.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Apr 12, 2019 10:50 AM

Hi!

I still have an issue with EMS not starting - Max Restarts reached error.

This happens immediately if I have the HA probe (v1.46) deactivated, and the EMS probe fails to find an address and constantly restarts with a different PID until it errors with a Max restarts reached error.

Any ideas anyone?

• 15.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 15, 2019 01:51 AM

Have you put ems probe in under HA probe configuration ?

• 16.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Apr 15, 2019 10:32 AM

Hi,

No, I just connected it up to the right system, I'll try adding it in.

• 17.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Apr 15, 2019 10:43 AM

As a test, I've removed all HA probes from the envionment and the EMS probe still fails to load..

• 18.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Apr 15, 2019 10:47 AM

Also tried the following but it didn't work

deactivate the ems probe rename the ems\db folder redeploy the ems probe activate the ems probe

• 19.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 15, 2019 11:09 AM

Please open a support case.

• 20.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Nov 14, 2018 09:30 AM

Kind of Gotcha, works as designed, but good to know.

When using Operator Console for setting alarming rules, please note that those rules are totally separated from those settings that you create with MCS. When using MCS, you actually configure each probe's config file as you have always done (well, except when using admin console and bulk mode) but when using Operator Console you actually start using the new concept for threshold settings, these setting go to spooler.cfg and spooler probe is then actually the one who launches the alarm, original probe (like cdm) is that getting the QOS data from the system. So you probably end getting alarms from both systems.

So keep in mind that. I think that is not too well explained in documentation. This was the thing I was asking in wrong place here earlier.

And yes, I really like that new interface for alarming rules. And miss the monitoring setup part (the one that we still have to use USM+MCS) that was in SaaS version's HTML5 interface.

And one additional nice thing is that when you set up monitoring rules in Operator Console, then those settings are also captured in audit log, at least that someone has changed thresholds.

• 21.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Nov 14, 2018 10:28 AM

Operator Console? Where do I find that? There's nothing new appearing in my Actions drop down.

But I do have 3 probes failing to start..could be to do with that maybe:

fault_correleation_engine
    mon_config_service
    relationship_services

• 22.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Nov 15, 2018 03:06 AM

Operator Console is from the Actions drop down menu, if you have ACL Operator Console Basic enabled for your user.

• 23.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Nov 15, 2018 07:00 AM

Ah interesting! I do have those permissions but nothing is appearing.  Perhaps it's due to the probes that are currently refusing to load due to "Max restarts"

• 24.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Nov 15, 2018 07:07 AM

I've managed to get these probes running (they hadn't upgraded during install) - but still missing this new Operator Console..

• 25.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 20, 2018 10:09 PM

Hi 

Do you have the ump_operatorconsole webapp deployed on ump server

Please also check if CABI is installed as operator console has dependency for dashboards in CABI
    Dashboards in Operator Console (including the Home (Home View Icon) view) require installation of CA Business Intelligence (CABI) JasperReports Server to view graphical presentation of data on groups and alarms

• 26.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Nov 21, 2018 06:43 PM

Gotcha, thanks Franklin.

I deployed ump_operatorconsole but didn't realise CABI was a pre-req.

I'll get it installed

• 27.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Feb 07, 2019 11:09 AM

Has anyone else gotten a fix for this. We have CABI installed and we installed the Operators_Console on the UMP and when we log into the UMP and choose the Actions Dropdown in the USM there is no choice for Operators_Console. Also when looking through the ACLs I do not even see an option to pick Operator Console Basic enabled. Any ideas?

• 28.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Feb 07, 2019 11:53 AM

Hi Robert,

I had the same problem and raised a ticket with support.  Unfortunately we got so far through troubleshooting it and then I got carried away with my day to day business duties so the case was closed due to lack of response, but, whatever we did through the troubleshooting fixed the issue!

I've just looked up the closed tickets and here are some tips:

• Is it possible for you from browser run manually /operatorconsole_portlet/overview and check if you are able to visualize the functionalities
    • Please could you run this command from the UPM server robot Login into the UMP 9.0.2 page and in the browser, please run /usm/jsp/diag.jsp
    • Regarding the CABI entry, please consider the documentation and prerequisites. https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management/9-0-2/en/configuring-and-viewing-monitoring-data/operator-console-functions#OperatorConsoleFunctions-Prerequisites Dashboards in Operator Console (including the Home (Home View Icon) view) require installation of CA Business Intelligence (CABI) JasperReports Server to view graphical presentation of data on groups and alarms. For instructions on installing CABI, see CA Business Intelligence with CA UIM. Also, can you please ensure that ump_operatorconsole webapp deployed on UMP server

The above notes are from the ticket I raised, it may help you.  Something we did made the operator console button appear, but I'm not sure what.

Hope it helps,

Sam

• 29.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Feb 08, 2019 07:53 AM

So I was able to get the Operators Console ACL to show up by performing an update to the ACL list in the IM (suggested by support). However when I open the operators console this is what I see, and if I try to open any of the dashboards this is what I see.

If I click any of the dashboards I see that as well. However if I go into CABi itself and click on a dashboard the dashboard loads in CABi. So Little bit of progress but now no dashboards are views in the Operators console.

• 30.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Feb 08, 2019 07:57 AM

Ah ok, nice tip!

You've got further than I have.

I've been asked to uninstall Cabi and try a reinstall.  Keep me posted on how you get on.  Always good to learn from others!

I'll do the same.

Cheers!

• 31.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Apr 15, 2019 02:18 PM

So I just went thru a cabi worst case scenario last week in my lab but basically upgraded from 8.51 cabi 3.20 to the latest 9.02 UMP then tried applying the UMP HF2 zip #2 contains the newest cabi 3.40 version. It did not work. No matter what I did the bundled cabi robot I had running both the cabi & wasp probe were broken after trying to apply the HF2. In the end I followed this page and blew away both the CABI probe and the wasp probe on the dedicated robot that is for running CABI.

So the clean up and re-install KB page here was very helpful:

https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/ca-uim-cabi-how-to-uninstall-reinstall-bundled-cabi/KB000097227

You can follow this page for 9.02 cabi clean up as well. 

I hit issues also trying to re-install on my cleaned up robot. I had to try 3x before it worked correctly. Each time the robot was in the same clean state but on the 3rd time it finally deployed nicely. The 1st two tries the wasp probe would not start and if that happens cabi won't install. 

So finally running cabi 3.40 which is part of the HF2 zip file...

• 32.  RE: Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Dec 20, 2019 04:01 AM
    We are facing similar issue, What is the fixfor this?

------------------------------
    GURU

• 33.  RE: Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Dec 20, 2019 04:03 AM
    We are facing similar issue, What is the fix for this?

GURU

• 34.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Nov 29, 2018 03:28 PM

Not specifically a 9.0 defect but one of the pushes in 9.0 is to move to the latest VS 2017 runtimes.

One of the nifty features of that is that the vs2017_vcredist_x64/32 package failed to include the /norestart option so if you deployed this package, you were at significant risk of it rebooting the system being deployed to.

CA then releases version 1.01 which fixes that defect. 

Problem is this:

Handily, the cdm package forces the selection of the version 1.00 package. 

So if you just downloaded the fixed package and then imported it assuming that the latest version would be used, you would be sorely mistaken. And you'd still be rebooting servers randomly as you deployed CDM.

And if you deleted the old version, like you should have, then the CDM package is broken. The equality requirement can't be satisfied.

The fix is obvious, just change the dependance to ge instead of eq but this should never have gotten out the door in the first place.

Ugh. CA, you need to do better than this.

• 35.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 30, 2018 12:50 AM

Hi, Garin.

We do apologize for this. Yes definitely we agree that we should have done better.

We are aware of this issue and today we detected 2 probes still refers to 1.00 (with eq)

Cdm 6.33

Robot 7.96 (come only with 9.0.2 install)

We plan to replace those archives not let happen unwanted OS reboot.

• 36.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 30, 2018 01:52 AM

So Here is quick action list

1. MUST DELETE the following packages from archive

(*) Mandatory for all UIM 9.0.2 users and UIM 8.X users those who imported these packages already.

vs2017_vcredist_x86 version 1.00

vs2017_vcredist_x64 version 1.00

1. MUST DOWNLOAD the following packages (Available in http://support.nimsoft.com) and import them.

(*) Mandatory for all UIM users.

vs2017_vcredist_x86 version 1.01

vs2017_vcredist_x64 version 1.01

1. In archive GUI, double click cdm 6.33.

(*) Mandatory for all UIM 9.0.2 users and UIM 8.X users those who imported these packages already.

[win64] - [Dependencies]. Double click vs2017_vcredist_x64. Change [dependency type] from [eq] to [ge]. Press OK

[win32] - [Dependencies]. Double click vs2017_vcredist_x86. Change [dependency type] from [eq] to [ge]. Press OK

1. In archive GUI, double click robot_update 7.96

(*) Mandatory for all UIM 9.0.2 users only.

[win64] - [Dependencies]. Double click vs2017_vcredist_x86. Change [dependency type] from [eq] to [ge]. Press OK

[win32] - [Dependencies]. Double click vs2017_vcredist_x86. Change [dependency type] from [eq] to [ge]. Press OK

• 37.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee

• 38.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 13, 2018 08:03 AM

Follow up.

Recently we issued 

- cdm 6.34

- robot 7.97

VS2017 dependency of those have been modified with "ge", so it works with 1.01 version of VS2017

• 39.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Apr 15, 2019 07:17 AM

Any probe that is getting deployed to robots through MCS profiles, which probe does MCS use to deploy? The latest one in the list or the old one which is set to default?

Thank you.

Regards,

Rajashekar

• 40.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 15, 2019 10:24 AM

Rajashekar -

The version of the probe deployed depends on the MCS template you are creating and which ones are active in the SSRV2Template table.  The following query will identify the probe versions that the corresponding MCS templates will deploy to the robots in a monitoring group:

select templateName, probe, probeversion from SSRV2Template where production = 1;

For NULL probe versions, the latest version of the probe in the archive will be deployed.  If you have a newer version of a probe in the archive, and the active template is associated with an older version of the same probe, MCS will deploy the older version of the probe if the probe has not yet been deployed to the robots in a monitoring group.  Please also note that, by design, if you have an older or newer version of a probe deployed to a robot in a monitoring group, MCS will not update the version of the probe to match the version associated with the template created for the group.

• 41.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Dec 14, 2018 04:56 AM

Thank you!

I had a support case open for this

• 42.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Dec 04, 2018 07:49 AM

Hi there,

has anyone seen the issue that IM cannot connect to NIS-DB anymore after new installation of UIM 9.0.2. No alarms displayed in Alarm Window, no entries in Dynamic View. As far as I can figure it out, the cause is a changed secret key in the data_engine.

This changed secret key is also the reason why you cannot use older version of probes who need a direct database connection.

• 43.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Dec 04, 2018 02:45 PM

IM will work with the new 9.0.2 version. I had to attempt installing and removing IM a number of times before it installed and registered correctly.  

• 44.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Dec 04, 2018 05:56 PM

Hi Garin,

you're right about the alarm window. I made an error in IM options regarding Alarm Server. After I have fixed the error the alarm will be displayed in Alarm Window.

Regarding the database connection I still see errors in the message window:

* Error - Database error: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
    * Error - DB operation failed
    * Warning - Unable to connect to NIS Database
    * Warning - No valid connection with NIS Database

• 45.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 04, 2018 10:41 PM

The error is expected in UIM 9.0.2 as you understood a change in new data_engine prevent an establish connection from IM.

(IM does not embed sec key)

* Error - Database error: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
    * Error - DB operation failed
    * Warning - Unable to connect to NIS Database
    * Warning - No valid connection with NIS Database

• 46.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 04, 2018 10:47 PM

The only impact (IM not able to get DB connection) is that IM no longer have ability managing relation in between ACL and Account.

The same thing is possible via Account Admin portlet. So don't worry.

• 47.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Feb 07, 2019 01:32 PM

ntevl version 4.32 

When using regex the probe may no longer start

When using Adminconsole and you pull up the ntevl probe with default settings and than click save it corrupts regex fields by using $$regex$$ instead of /regex/

ntevl version 4.32HF1 

Fixes probe no longer able to start

There is a fix for the regex corruption I haven't tested it yet been busy.

• 48.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted May 14, 2019 03:42 PM

Still using the old version 4.31 of the ntevl probe as the hotfix does not completely fix the problem when using regex.

It's indeed possible to install the hotfix but later on the probe will crash when the regex is positive.

Didn't have time yet to report the issue.

• 49.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted May 14, 2019 03:47 PM

There is a fix for the hotfix we got version 4.32-T4 which resolves all the issues for ntevl

• 50.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted May 15, 2019 09:48 AM

I'm interested in this Hotfix as it seems not to be available yet.

• 51.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted May 15, 2019 02:01 PM

You can create a support ticket and reference this case number 01296928 which was a series of fixes . 1st we fix the regex issue than we fixed adminconsole corrupting the config file for regex and than we wen to over a few more issues utlimately we came down to the last fix which was T4 that had all the fix's we went through into a single fix .

• 52.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Mar 22, 2019 06:45 PM

For anyone using the action.filter command in Lua scripts, there's a bug in NAS v9.06:

action.filter query 

• 53.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Apr 10, 2019 12:52 PM

Just want to confirm, after folks upgraded to UIM 9.02 is the probe on the primary hub service_host not needed any longer? In my lab, this probe stopped running and doesn't want to start up any longer. The wiki says:

wasp Contains a Non-functional Key for Service-host Address

Functionality for the service_host probe has been moved to wasp, and the probe is no longer installed as part of CA UIM. An address key for the probe still exists in the ump_common section of wasp but is not functional.

So just want to confirm we don't need the service_host probe any longer after upgrading to 9.02?

And my qos_engine probe will also not start up either. Is this probe still needed after upgrading to 9.02? 

Also sharing that my old audit probe running 1.x would not start after the upgrade until I upgraded it to audit v9.04.

TIA...

• 54.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 10, 2019 12:59 PM

Hi Dan,

I can confirm both qos_engine and service_host are deprecated, and no longer should be used with 9.02.  In most cases the installers would actually have removed these, but we've seen them get left behind sometimes.  It's OK to manually delete both of them with no consequences.

• 55.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Apr 10, 2019 01:01 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Jason.

• 56.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Apr 10, 2019 03:16 PM

There should be a new version of the audit probe . I remember seeing in our 9.02 install and there is a hotfix as well. I did run across a few issues like it didn't create the tables correctly and i grabbed the .sql scripts from the install and created them myself but that was with MySQL . Another thing i found which is annoying is it doesn't tell you who makes changes if a person is using the adminconsole as it just sets the user as PPM . Which defeats utilizing the audit probe in certain cases.

• 57.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Apr 10, 2019 03:24 PM

Hey Everyone,

Just like to share this out with the group in case you don't know about it ( see below url ).  I find this page very helpful when trying to track down issues and sometimes helps fixing the issue before even having to engage support.

CA Unified Infrastructure Management Hotfix Index - CA Technologies 

Some Key issues I found helpful :

robot_update 7.97HF3 - Memory Leak / MCS 

EMS - Memory Leak / UMP Not Loading Alarms

NAS - Overall Cumulative update

Either way just trying to share the knowledge to help others.

I hope you enjoy!

Thanks,

Savage

• 58.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Apr 11, 2019 02:34 PM

Is anyone having issues with the new certificate.pem file feature in 9.02?

After upgrading the primary hub to 9.02 in my lab, I created a new archive package that included the certificate.pem file and the one line update to the robot.cfg:

<controller> overwrite
    cryptkey = C:\Program Files (x86)\Nimsoft\security\certificate.pem
    </controller>

Then the file tab:

So when i deployed it to boxes that needed (example my CABI Bundle box) it in the controller.log I keep seeing:

Apr 11 14:28:55:608 [3840] Controller: text_file_get: Unable to open C:/Program Files (x86)/Nimsoft/security/certificate.pem for read

I verified that the robot.cfg has the new line and the certificate.pem file is under /Nimsoft/security and its the same properties time, size as the primary hubs.

For probes like cabi and wasp they don't run and they just have:

Apr 11 14:28:55:608 [main, cabi] No Cryptkey Found
    Apr 11 14:28:56:264 [3840] Controller: Probe 'cabi' (command = <startup java>) returns no-restart code (42)

Apr 11 14:29:26:451 DEBUG [main, com.nimsoft.nimbus.lookup.DataEngineLookup] No crypt key
    Apr 11 14:29:26:764 [3840] Controller: Max. restarts reached for probe 'wasp' (command = <startup java>)

Anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it?

• 59.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 11, 2019 02:51 PM

there is a known issue with spaces in the cryptkey =

you can try moving the security folder to c:\security\certificate.pem

or try a relative moving it to a relative path:

robot/security/certificate.pem

• 60.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Apr 11, 2019 03:36 PM

Hi Gene, really!!?

So it works fine on the primary hub's default location with spaces in the path but not on other robots ?

Is there any "Release Notes" or announcements about this? So then I can't use the archive package to deploy the security file b/c we can't deploy file outside of the \Nimsoft folder correct?

• 61.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 12, 2019 04:22 AM

Hi, Daniel.

Gene is true. I've seen the same issue.

It works for the primary hub while it does not work for CABI.

• 62.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted May 02, 2019 10:30 PM

So in my lab I just updated to 9.1 from 9.02 and noticed that the wasp probe now takes much much longer to start up. It took so long to start up that the UMP installer just said forget it and timed out at the very end:

Hitting OK didn't do a rollback but the probe still was in a semi-started state. No Port or IP Address on the probes status in UIM IM.

Took about 30 min for it start up. Normally its like 5 min. I checked the logs and see 1000's of these line entries:

May 02 16:37:55:939 WARN [Catalina-utility-1, org.apache.catalina.webresources.Cache] Unable to add the resource at [/WEB-INF/classes/content/Language_pt.properties] to the cache for web application [/policyeditor] because there was insufficient free space available after evicting expired cache entries - consider increasing the maximum size of the cache

May 02 16:37:55:939 WARN [Catalina-utility-1, org.apache.catalina.webresources.Cache] Unable to add the resource at [/WEB-INF/classes/content/Language_ja.properties] to the cache for web application [/policyeditor] because there was insufficient free space available after evicting expired cache entries - consider increasing the maximum size of the cache

May 02 16:37:55:939 WARN [Catalina-utility-1, org.apache.catalina.webresources.Cache] Unable to add the resource at [/WEB-INF/classes/content/Language_en.properties] to the cache for web application [/policyeditor] because there was insufficient free space available after evicting expired cache entries - consider increasing the maximum size of the cache

Have a case open and will post suggestion. Apparently in 9.10 they upgraded the tomcat version to a new build and this started happening.

• 63.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted May 02, 2019 11:37 PM

I had a similar experience. Wasp takes about 4x as long to start on my test system. Different errors/logging though:

May 02 22:18:07:411 INFO [Catalina-utility-1, org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[wasp-engine].[localhost].[/]] Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext
    May 02 22:20:15:380 INFO [Catalina-utility-1, org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[wasp-engine].[localhost].[/]] Marking servlet [Axis Servlet] as unavailable
    May 02 22:20:15:380 ERROR [Catalina-utility-1, org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[wasp-engine].[localhost].[/]] loadOnStartup() Servlet [Axis Servlet] in web application [] threw load() exception
    May 02 22:20:15:384 ERROR [Catalina-utility-1, org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[wasp-engine].[localhost].[/]] org.apache.commons.discovery.DiscoveryException: Class org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SLF4JLogFactory does not implement org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory
    at org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.ClassUtils.verifyAncestory(ClassUtils.java:135)
    at org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.SPInterface.verifyAncestory(SPInterface.java:156)
    at org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.SPInterface.newInstance(SPInterface.java:150)
    at org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverClass.newInstance(DiscoverClass.java:534)
    at org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverSingleton.find(DiscoverSingleton.java:373)
    at org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverSingleton.find(DiscoverSingleton.java:333)
    at org.apache.axis.components.logger.LogFactory$1.run(LogFactory.java:45)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at org.apache.axis.components.logger.LogFactory.getLogFactory(LogFactory.java:41)
    at org.apache.axis.components.logger.LogFactory.<clinit>(LogFactory.java:33)
    at org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServletBase.<clinit>(AxisServletBase.java:58)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.DefaultInstanceManager.newInstance(DefaultInstanceManager.java:151)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1031)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:971)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:4854)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5170)
    at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:183)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1377)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1367)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.InlineExecutorService.execute(InlineExecutorService.java:75)
    at java.util.concurrent.AbstractExecutorService.submit(AbstractExecutorService.java:134)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal(ContainerBase.java:902)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.startInternal(StandardHost.java:831)
    at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:183)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1377)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1367)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
    at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180)
    at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

May 02 22:20:15:466 INFO [Catalina-utility-1, org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[wasp-engine].[localhost].[/]] Initializing Spring FrameworkServlet 'Remoting Servlet'
    May 02 22:30:46:050 ERROR [Catalina-utility-1, org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[wasp-engine].[localhost].[/cabi]] findUncoveredHttpMethods() For security constraints with URL pattern [/*] only the HTTP methods [OPTIONS] are covered. All other methods are uncovered.
    May 02 22:34:12:218 ERROR [Catalina-utility-1, org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[wasp-engine].[localhost].[/mcs-ui-app]] findUncoveredHttpMethods() For security constraints with URL pattern [/*] only the HTTP methods [OPTIONS] are covered. All other methods are uncovered.

• 64.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted May 03, 2019 06:56 AM

And wasp really grinds on the CPU. Bet you can't tell when I terminated the probe...

Relative to the whole rest of the product plus SQL server and the OS, that's a huge impact.

• 65.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted May 03, 2019 12:00 PM

Yeah there is defiantly something wrong with the wasp 9.10 version. Its not at all optimized. My wasp probe takes 20 min to finally start up in a running state and its cpu usage is pegged at 25% on my box. 

Here is the overall UMP boxes CPU usage before running 9.02 and after upgrading to the great 9.1. UIM DEV/QA how did you not notice this?

There are also many errors in the wasp.log start up phase thrown just out of the box after upgrading to 9.10.

• 66.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted May 03, 2019 04:08 PM

Garin I just searched my wasp log and I have the same exact errors:

May 03 11:18:45:142 ERROR [Catalina-utility-1, org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[wasp-engine].[localhost].[/]] loadOnStartup() Servlet [Axis Servlet] in web application [] threw load() exception
    May 03 11:18:45:142 ERROR [Catalina-utility-1, org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[wasp-engine].[localhost].[/]] org.apache.commons.discovery.DiscoveryException: Class org.apache.commons.logging.i

To get rid of the cache errors that I was having, in my \wasp\conf\context.xml file you can either enable a larger cache size which gets rid of the cache errors or disable it which also gets rid of the cache errors. Not sure which one to use but I went with disabling it:

/robes/service/wasp\conf\context.xml:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>

<Context>

<!-- Disable session persistence across restarts. -->

<Manager pathname="" />

<!-- <Resources cachingAllowed="true" cacheMaxSize="100000" /> -->

<Resources cachingAllowed="false" />

</Context>

• 67.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted May 06, 2019 10:01 AM

Did you follow these steps? 

If the mon_config_service_ws package is installed on the UIM Server and UMP is installed on another robot, review the following points while performing the upgrade:
    Scenario 1: Before you upgrade the existing 9.0.2 UIM Server to CA UIM 9 SP1 (UIM Server):

1. Take a backup of the wasp folder available on the 9.0.2 UIM Server.
    2. Delete the wasp probe from the 9.0.2 UIM Server.
    3. Start the process to upgrade the 9.0.2 UIM Server to CA UIM 9 SP1 (UIM Server). 
      After you complete the UIM Server upgrade, you can now upgrade 9.0.2 UMP to CA UIM 9 SP1 (UMP). Without performing these steps, if you try to upgrade UMP to CA UIM 9 SP1 (UMP), you will face issues.

Scenario 2: If you do not delete the wasp probe before upgrading the UIM Server to CA UIM 9 SP1:

1. Take a backup of the wasp folder available on the upgraded UIM Server.
    2. Delete the wasp probe from the upgraded UIM Server.
    3. Upgrade existing UMP to CA UIM 9 SP1 (UMP).
    4. Deploy wasp that is available with CA UIM 9 SP1 on the upgraded UIM Server.
    5. Deploy the adminconsole, mps, and telemetry packages that are available with CA UIM 9 SP1.
      Without performing these steps, if you try to upgrade 9.0.2 UMP to CA UIM 9 SP1 (UMP), you will face issues.

[]s

VW

• 68.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted May 06, 2019 10:09 AM

I love a software product where if you follow the instructions for usage you'll "face issues". 

• 69.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted May 07, 2019 11:55 AM

Just upgraded our Dev environment from 9.02 to 9.1, and the UMP wasp probe is taking so long to raise a port and finish loading. It also timed out the installation due to the long loading time.

• 70.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 13, 2019 12:25 AM

Hi,

UIM upgraded its 2 of the used 3PP libs to Tomcat 9 and Spring 4.x.in UIM 9 SP1 (UIM 9.1.0) Based on comments here, seems like these lib's are causing issues with WASP at user environments which was not observed earlier in our test labs.

We are working on HotFix to remove this problem and shall notify users when available.

Thanks for patience.

aggas01

• 71.  RE: Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 06, 2019 03:33 PM
    Hello Ashish,

Could you please let us know if we have an ETA for this HotFix?

Regards,

Alex Yasuda

Senior Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 72.  RE: Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 07, 2019 01:46 AM
    KB Article has been published to mitigate the WASP/UMP slowness issue being observed over DX IM 9.1 (WASP 9.10).
    Configuration shall be released OOTB with the upcoming bundled hotfix release i.e. DX Infrastructure Manager 9.1.1 towards end of Jul, early Aug, 2019.

@Ashish Aggarwal

• 73.  RE: Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 07, 2019 01:47 AM
    Hi All,

WASP/UMP slowness issue being observed on DX Infrastructure Manager 9.1.0 can be mitigated by few configuration steps captured in the  below published arcticle.
    This update shall be available OOTB in up coming DX Infrastructure Manager 9 SP1 HotFix1 (9.1.1) which shall be bundled hotfix release over DX Infrastructure Manager 9.1.0.
    Tentative ETA End of Jul, 2019.

KB Article:
     Why is wasp so slow to start up in UIM v9.1.0

• 74.  RE: Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Jun 27, 2019 07:28 AM
    Was this missed during testing before GA ?

• 75.  RE: Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Jul 16, 2019 02:21 PM
    @Ashish Aggarwal

Are you still on pace for an end of July release of the HotFix rollup?

Also, the KB you have linked appears to only address the startup time for the wasp probe and not the CPU usage concern. Is there an ETA on a fix/workaround for that?

• 76.  RE: Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 17, 2019 12:40 AM
    Hi Colin, et al,

Instead of DX IM 9.1.1 (Hot fix1) planned initially, we are planning to release DX IM 9.2.0 (Service Pack 2) with full installer.
    It shall cover both WASP startup time and CPU usage concerns. Additionally newer version of UMP is also planned to be released with 9.2.0 having improved user experience. 

ETA for DX IM 9.2.0 is mid August, 2019.

Br,
    Ashish Aggarwal

• 77.  RE: Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Aug 16, 2019 04:54 AM
    Hi Ashish!

Could you confirm this next patch (9.2) will still be released this month? We are waiting for it to upgrade a customers environment.

Thank you!

• 78.  RE: Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Aug 16, 2019 09:14 AM
    ^+1 We are waiting for this as well before we move to 9.x.
    The UMP issue is the main issue before we make the move. Hopefully this is fixed with this 9.2.

Daniel Blanco
    Enterprise Tools Architect
    Alphaserve Technologies

• 79.  RE: Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 18, 2019 10:25 PM
    Any update on this ETA of DX IM 9.2.0 announcement?

• 80.  RE: Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Aug 19, 2019 11:51 AM
    Edited by Daniel Blanco Aug 19, 2019 12:08 PM
    Wait, I see 9.2 on the support.nimsoft download page now:

Was this just not announced? Does this fix the UMP CPU issue?

Off to a great start... the HotFixes link doesn't work:
    1. CA Unified Infrastructure Management

• 81.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted May 14, 2019 03:29 AM

Hi All,

We encounter weird problem. 

#1 issue:

No QOS_CPU_USAGE TOTAL receive. After we un-check set target as total for CPU, then we receive QOS_CPU_USAGE

#2 Issue:

No QOS Memory after we deploy MCS. We have upgrade SP1 and we still do not receive QOS Memory. We try to reset MCS, no luck. Still no Memory QOS. 

Does anyone experience above issue same like us?

• 82.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 14, 2019 09:04 AM

Check the following KB which may help- 

No data stored from cdm probe - CA Knowledge 

• 83.  RE: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Jul 08, 2019 03:07 PM
    7.97 robot installers not reading the answer file.  Specifically in my case the Windows 7.97, haven't tested with UNIX/Linux

• 84.  RE: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Jul 08, 2019 04:50 PM
    Nevermind - had spaces before and after the equals - installer no likey

• 85.  RE: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Aug 16, 2019 09:40 AM
    Edited by Daniel Blanco Aug 16, 2019 09:41 AM
    ADE Probe Defect automated_deployment_engine

New defect that won't be fixed. So I hit an issue with the automated_depoloyment_engine probe (ADE). I noticed on one of my hubs that it wasn't starting up fully. It just has the PID.

So looking into the issue what it turns out to be is that if you have forwarding rules in the distsrv probe to send archive packages to other hubs, there's a directory in the ADE probe /opt/nimsoft/probes/service/automated_deployment_engine/ade_package_temp that will just fill up over time. By fill up I mean I had one hub running for 32 days and this directory has over 2 million temp files in it. 

/opt/nimsoft/probes/service/automated_deployment_engine/ade_package_temp
    [DanB@uimhub ade_package_temp]# ls | wc -l

So what happens after the probe is restarted, it will go thru all these files and try to process them. This will take a very long time. Anyway L2 won't fix the issue. It's considered a "feature enhancement'. (Really????) 

Case#20012890
    Final response from development.
    ADE as of now does not cleanup ade_package_temp folder as there is no code to handle this. Hence the only workaround as of now is to cleanup the folder manually. Since this is an enhancement, we will consider implementing it in future releases.

So just wanted to share this info. If you ever see the ade probe in this state or have hubs that forward packages and have the ade probe on that box, check this directory. This is running ade version 8.51
    To fix this temporarily you can stop the ADE probe then get on the box running the probe, cd into the 

/opt/nimsoft/probes/service/automated_deployment_engine/

and then do a "rm -rf ade_package_temp". In my situation it took maybe 30+ min to run to clean up this directory. Then once its gone you can start the ade probe up again and it starts to fill back up.

• 86.  RE: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 19, 2019 01:38 AM
    Thanks for sharing, this will be valuable for all.

• 87.  RE: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Aug 21, 2019 02:20 PM
    ​So I just ran into a couple issues with ADE, one a huge security risk and the other I found files being left out there for 5+ years obviously not cleaned up automatically by ADE.  While they are not the files you specifically speak of here, the following files are not being cleaned up automatically after deployment or based on a schedule.

1. \Nimsoft\probes\service\automated_deployment_engine\nms-robot-vars-<devicename>_<datetime>.txt (had over 1,300 of these)

2. Nimsoft\probes\service\automated_deployment_engine\ade_xml_temp\automated_deployment-<id>.xml (had over 800 of these) -->!!! you will also find your major security risk in these files!!!

You will find these files not being cleaned up on all your hubs you deploy from. 

I had been trying to figure out where some of my space usage was coming from.  Glad I caught it before the system crashed due to lack of space.

Ticket# 20050710 and 20050724
    I'm told, as apparently you were, that ADE does not  do cleanup.  Supports answer was this is "as designed" and while I may agree it probably is, I as an administrator should not have to be going out there cleaning these up manually nor should I as an administrator have to script the cleanup.  Good coding practices would account for files left behind and make sure they are cleaned up in a timely manner or provide settings for the cleanup that the customer can set. 

I've asked that this go to development and that a hotfix be provided at the very least in 9.2.x for ticket 20050724 and 9.2.x and 8.51 for ticket 20050710 due to the security concern which overlaps with file cleanup.

• 88.  RE: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Aug 22, 2019 12:08 PM
    Just sharing this 9.2.0 data_engine fails to start issue thread in here:
    9.20 upgrade Issues: data_engine fails to start

Solution is to update a table in the database. 

Daniel Blanco
    Enterprise Tools Architect
    Alphaserve Technologies

• 89.  RE: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Aug 26, 2019 11:12 AM
    I have a question about this new release.

We have an environment with the 9.1 service pack installed and it seems the requirement for 9.2 installation is the version 9.02. Can we just install this new release over a 9.1 or do we have to downgrade it somehow first? 

• 90.  RE: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Aug 26, 2019 11:17 AM
    9.1 to 9.2.0 is supported. 
    https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management/9-0-2/en/installing/product-compatibility/supported-upgrade-paths

Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 91.  RE: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted Sep 05, 2019 06:19 AM
    Hello! Thank you all for the answers! We managed to successfully upgrade to 9.20 version.

Now we are wondering if there is any way to get the Unified Reports working again on this version, if anyone can share some thoughts...

• 92.  RE: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 06, 2019 08:03 AM
    @Legacy User  UR is being deprecated.  We introduced CABI a few years ago and it can export your UR reports in to CABI.  Please see the docs for more details. 

Customer Success Architect
    Broadcom

• 93.  RE: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 26, 2019 12:00 PM
    Direct upgrade from UIM 9.1.0 to UIM 9.2.0 is supported.

• 94.  RE: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 27, 2019 11:41 AM
    Direct upgrade from UIM 9.1.0 to UIM 9.2.0 is supported.