DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Interface Status on Spectrum

• 1.  Interface Status on Spectrum

Posted Apr 20, 2018 11:48 AM

Hi Guys

What is the definition and differences of the interface status on Spectrum and how is it derived.

I have an understanding on Admin down - I understand the Admin down means the port/interface was put in that state by the administrator.

However what is the difference between the Condition, Status and Admin Status and how to they tie up to each other?

Regards

David

• 2.  Re: Interface Status on Spectrum
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 20, 2018 12:27 PM

David,

In Spectrum, Condition is synonymous with Alarm. Is there a Critical, Major, Minor etc Alarm/Condition on the model? 

Status is more the physical status of the interface. Up, down, unknown, off etc. For most interfaces it is based on the values if the ifOperStatus and ifAdminStatus values read from the interfaces mib of the device for that interface.

In Spectrum, the Status can be Down but the Condition is Normal if you have not configured Spectrum to alarm when the interface is down.

Joe

• 3.  Re: Interface Status on Spectrum

Posted Apr 30, 2018 09:44 AM

I have a related question: what will put an interface on condition=suppressed ?

I regularly find interfaces with condition=suppressed and status =up and admin status = up and no alarm on it and connected to a device/port which is green as well.

Thanks,

Veronique

• 4.  Re: Interface Status on Spectrum

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 30, 2018 09:56 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Veronique,

Do the events give an indication?  Keep in mind suppressed alarms are not shown by default, so you may have an event that generates a suppressed alarm but Spectrum doesn’t show the suppressed alarm.  When this happens the condition will change to suppressed.  When these situations occur, we usually cross reference the events to the event config to see if a suppressed condition was generated by an event (don’t forget to check your custom events first in /custom/Events/EventDisp (and any modeltype specific EventDisp files)).

Cheers

Jay

• 5.  Re: Interface Status on Spectrum

Posted Apr 30, 2018 10:00 AM
      |   view attached

I will check and come back to you next time we encounter such a case. It is quite frequent.

• 6.  Re: Interface Status on Spectrum

Posted May 02, 2018 02:31 AM

Hi,

here is one case, but I don't know when the port turned from condition=normal to condition=suppressed.

01-May-2018 19:04:53 CEST0x10d67Port d900_37 of type Gen_IF_Port has started responding to polls and/or external requests.
    01-May-2018 19:03:53 CEST0x10d66Port d900_37 of type Gen_IF_Port has stopped responding to polls and/or external requests. An alarm will be generated.

There was no other event stored in Event log for that port.

I can send you the full list of events logged for the device in a private email if you like.

The Event configuration is:

/usr/SPECTRUM/SS/CsVendor/Cabletron/EventDisp:0x00010d66 E 50 A {v 1},0x00010d66
    /usr/SPECTRUM/SS/CsVendor/Cabletron/EventDisp:0x00010d67 E 50 C 0x00010d66
    /usr/SPECTRUM/SS/CsVendor/Cabletron/EventDisp:0x00010d68      C 0x00010d66

• 7.  Re: Interface Status on Spectrum

Posted May 02, 2018 09:41 AM

The port turned from condition=normal to condition=suppressed when the 0x10d66 event was logged.

• 8.  Re: Interface Status on Spectrum

Posted May 02, 2018 09:51 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

Thanks.

But why didn’t it turn back to condition=normal when event 0x10d67 occurred ?

I think it is the meaning of

/usr/SPECTRUM/SS/CsVendor/Cabletron/EventDisp:0x00010d67 E 50 C 0x00010d66

Isn’t ?

• 9.  Re: Interface Status on Spectrum

Posted May 02, 2018 01:54 PM

Correct. The 0x10d67 event should have cleared the condition asserted on the model by the 0x10d66 event.

What was the condition of the model after the 0x10d67 event was generate?

Do you have copies of ALL of the events asserted on this model?

Joe

• 10.  Re: Interface Status on Spectrum

Posted May 03, 2018 11:57 AM
      |   view attached

Dear Joe,

Yes, I have kept all the events in a file. I can send it to you in a private email.

In fact spectrum lost connection with a lot of ports (if not all) but the suppressed state (if any) was cleared on all of them but one.

There were also two alarms on the device:

01-May-2018 19:04:53 CEST

0x10ff0

Device or SNMP agent on Device d900 of type xxxx has been rebooted.

Minor  Alarm cleared on 01-May-2018 19:05:06 CEST

01-May-2018 19:05:06 CEST

0x10306

A(n) xxxx device, named d900, has been cold started.     Major alarm

Cheers,

Veronique