IT Process Automation

View Only
  • 1.  MS SQL AlwaysOn support

Posted Aug 13, 2015 03:37 AM

We would to implemented MS SQL 2012 with AlwaysOn Availability Group for PAM 4.2 SP2 databases to have HA of these databases across two datacenters  . Can we expect that jtds-1.3.1.jar driver will work correctly in such environment?

Thank you,

Milan

• 2.  Re: MS SQL AlwaysOn support
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 13, 2015 08:58 AM

Unfortunately it does not appear that the jtds driver will support this. 

From a quick review it appears that the  AlwaysOn Availability Group was introduced recently, and is only available through their JDBC 4.0 driver: JDBC Driver Support for High Availability, Disaster Recovery   

Where the jtds driver is built with the 3.0 MS JDBC driver as the baseline and does not have the option to set the required options: multiSubnetFailover, and applicationIntent

jTDS JDBC Driver

I am going to verify this internally and will let you know. 

• 3.  Re: MS SQL AlwaysOn support

Posted Aug 27, 2015 07:11 AM

Hi Michael,

Do you have any new information?

Thank you.

Milan

• 4.  Re: MS SQL AlwaysOn support

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 27, 2015 03:29 PM

I am sorry Milan, I have asked the engineering team to take a look at this, but I have not gotten any feedback that indicates we could support this functionality in the current jTDS JDBC driver we use for our SQL database connection.

I will follow up with them to see if they have had a chance to complete their research.

• 5.  Re: MS SQL AlwaysOn support

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 16, 2015 09:20 AM

Milan,

I have confirmed with the SE team that this is not a feature we can support with the JTDS Driver we ship with Process Automation. 

Please open an IDEA for this to be considered for a future release of PAM;  IDEA Board

• 6.  Re: MS SQL AlwaysOn support

Posted Sep 17, 2015 09:40 AM

Hi Michael,

thank you for the information.

Milan

• 7.  Re: MS SQL AlwaysOn support

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 16, 2018 01:12 PM

Michael

Is this still the case with no support for Always on PAM 4.3.1? I know if a few clients who say they are using AWO with PAM.

But not sure if they used alternative jdbc drivers or if PAM node is passive untill SQL node 2 is activated.

Mike 

• 8.  Re: MS SQL AlwaysOn support

Posted Jan 16, 2018 02:43 PM

Hi Michael,

We have our PAM cluster configured to use Always-On and have never had an issue with it.  The PAM servers are configured to use the SQL Server listener, when we migrate the listener to another node the service is able to reconnect on its own. We used the provided drivers.

• 9.  Re: MS SQL AlwaysOn support

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 16, 2018 03:27 PM

Thanks Grant that is great news. Very helpful.