Service Virtualization

View Only
  • 1.  How to Receive emails in LISA ?

Posted Oct 02, 2018 04:51 AM

We have a requirement in our project where Application has email server that will send email at 100 Emails per minute. We need to listen that emails and send acknowledgement and also keep the counts with us for statistics . Please let me know how can we achieve this .  Which Protocols are supported in 8 and newer version so that i can ask for upgrade accordingly 

I am using dev test 8.x.

J_NeSmith Koustubh.Warty 

• 2.  Re: How to Receive emails in LISA ?

• 3.  Re: How to Receive emails in LISA ?

Posted Oct 02, 2018 12:51 PM

Thanks Marcy this is for Sending email for which we already have inbuilt step i want to listen emails on service from a mail server . How can i do that ? I believe we need some specific protocol for this .

• 4.  Re: How to Receive emails in LISA ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 02, 2018 02:39 PM

Can you give a bit more information on your mail server?

• 5.  Re: How to Receive emails in LISA ?

Posted Oct 02, 2018 03:38 PM

Hi mansi it is as Mail sweeper application that will gnerate emails over SMTP and we need to consume that .

To be simple first i want to send email from my client email  and want the same to be consumed by service as a prototype for this .

I think so here IMAP ,POP or HTTP protocol can help but not sure How ?

• 6.  Re: How to Receive emails in LISA ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 04, 2018 09:33 AM

• 7.  Re: How to Receive emails in LISA ?

Posted Oct 04, 2018 02:45 PM

Hi SHiney,

This is for sending email We already have inbuilt step for the same . I want to do the opposite. Listening to emails  

• 8.  Re: How to Receive emails in LISA ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 05, 2018 03:28 AM

Hi Rahul,

Does your System Under Test really have a full “email server” as a component? Or is the System Under Test behaving like an “email client” and it has a dependency onto an email server where it sends its generated email to?

In the case there is actually an email server inside the System Under Test then the solution would be to have some custom scripting  (e.g. Execute Script step) inside a testcase. The scripting would use the POP3 protocol to query the email server and “get a new email”. Inside the testcase there would be a loop around this script step to get all the new messages and do the counting. So, not a virtual service because the requirement is not to listen for new emails, the requirement is to poll the email server for new messages. The testcase can then be scheduled within CVS e.g. once every minute, as that makes the counting and reporting of the new emails more controllable. The testcase could insert the count into a database table, or create a report file on disk. A database table would be easier to make aggregate reports.

In the case there is no email server inside the System Under Test (and there is none within the test environment that can be used) then  your application is just an email client and it needs to connect to a virtual email server. In that case there is a need for a custom SMTP Transport Protocol Handler that can be run inside a .vsm. We are not aware of such an implementation.

Cheers,

Danny

• 9.  Re: How to Receive emails in LISA ?

Posted Oct 09, 2018 07:59 AM

Thanks Danny . You are right i would need a custom SMTP Data protocol for the same . Lisa does not have support for the same . I have posted Idea .

SMTP Handler For Listening To Emails 

Apart from this i would like to get emails from email client also as you mentioned using custom script. Do you have the script  or can you help me on the same which snippet in need .