Service Virtualization

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Is Virtual Service Causing Read Timed Out Exception

• 1.  Is Virtual Service Causing Read Timed Out Exception

Posted Jul 06, 2016 04:54 PM

We have a virtual service running in a performance virtual service environment.  When the team sends single requests to the virtual service, it functions as expected.  However, when doing performance testing, (high load) the client is throwing multiple of the following exceptions ::

java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out exception

I'm not seeing any errors on the DevTest Console and log files aren't showing any errors either.

Is there something else I can check to see if it is the Virtual Service that is causing the timeout exceptions?

• 2.  Re: Is Virtual Service Causing Read Timed Out Exception
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2016 04:57 PM

Hello Wallace,

Try increasing the capacity of the virtual service and check if these socket timeout errors get resolved at application end. The issue may have been that the capacity allocated to the service is unable to process the number of incoming requests.

Thank You,

Surya.

• 3.  Re: Is Virtual Service Causing Read Timed Out Exception

Posted Jul 06, 2016 05:05 PM

Hello sursu06,

Thanks for the response.  When I attempt to update the capacity, I get the following error.

Error.png

Any ideas?

• 4.  Re: Is Virtual Service Causing Read Timed Out Exception

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2016 05:09 PM

Hello Jeff,

You need to have performance mode enabled for you to update the capacity to a higher value for the virtual service. Please confirm if the performance mode is enabled for the VSE.

Thank You,

Surya.

• 5.  Re: Is Virtual Service Causing Read Timed Out Exception

Posted Jul 06, 2016 05:12 PM

Hi sursu06,

Would you happen to know how I can check to make sure performance mode is enabled?

• 6.  Re: Is Virtual Service Causing Read Timed Out Exception

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2016 05:15 PM

Check the information provided in the link below

Tech Tips: "Error attempting to update the attributes for the VSE Service"

• 7.  Re: Is Virtual Service Causing Read Timed Out Exception

Posted Jul 06, 2016 05:51 PM

Prem_Bairoliya when I go to check the local.properties file, that setting doesn't even exist.  Is it 'normal' that I would have to create the setting and set it?

• 8.  Re: Is Virtual Service Causing Read Timed Out Exception

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2016 05:55 PM

It is not present by default. Following has to be added to the local.properties used by the VirtualServiceEnvironment

lisa.vse.performance.enabled=true

• 9.  Re: Is Virtual Service Causing Read Timed Out Exception

Posted Jul 06, 2016 06:03 PM

Prem_Bairoliya Ok, I will give that a shot here in a second.  We are running the VSE via the VirtualServiceEnvironmentService found in {DEV_TEST_HOME}/bin.  Will I need to restart the service in order for the config change to take effect?

• 10.  Re: Is Virtual Service Causing Read Timed Out Exception

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2016 06:05 PM

Yes, the service will need to be restarted for it to pickup the setting.

• 11.  Re: Is Virtual Service Causing Read Timed Out Exception

Posted Jul 06, 2016 06:18 PM

Ok.  In that case, I will have to try to do it later this evening.  We have multiple teams currently consuming services running in the VSE and I can't restart it at this time.  I will hopefully get a chance tonight to restart the VSE and will then update this thread with what I find.

• 12.  Re: Is Virtual Service Causing Read Timed Out Exception

Posted Jul 06, 2016 10:11 PM

Prem_Bairoliya and sursu06

I added the recommended configuration to my VSE's local.properties file, rebooted the VirtualServiceEnvironmentService and now I am able to increase the Concurrency Capacity. 

Hopefully this will get rid of the Time Outs that we were experiencing under load.

Now I just need to figure out how that configuration got removed.

Thanks for all of the help!

• 13.  Re: Is Virtual Service Causing Read Timed Out Exception

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2016 05:17 PM

Hello Jeff,

Please see the link below for information on how to enable performance mode for the VSE. You should have performance server license to be able to do this.

SV Installation and Configuration - DevTest Solutions - 9.5 - CA Technologies Documentation

• 14.  Re: Is Virtual Service Causing Read Timed Out Exception

Posted Jul 06, 2016 05:21 PM

sursu06 we definitely have a performance server license for this VSE.  It's a controlled lab environment of ours that we only use for performance testing.  I'm going to try Prem_Bairoliya's suggestion of adjusting Think Scale and if that doesn't help, then  I will look at the performance mode settings.  Thanks for the help! 

• 15.  Re: Is Virtual Service Causing Read Timed Out Exception

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2016 05:11 PM

I would try to stop/remove the service from the VSE.

From your screenshot it shows that you are using Think scale of 100% - To support performance needs, it is recommended to run with 0% think scale.

With a Capacity of 1 & think scale of 0, check what is the best throughput your virtual service is able to provide before increasing the capacity.

• 16.  Re: Is Virtual Service Causing Read Timed Out Exception

Posted Jul 06, 2016 05:18 PM

Prem_Bairoliya thanks for the responses!

I will try stoping/removing the service from the VSE, then redeploying and setting the think scale to 0% before I attempt to change concurrent capacity.  I will let you know how it goes.

• 17.  Re: Is Virtual Service Causing Read Timed Out Exception

Posted Jul 06, 2016 05:31 PM

Prem_Bairoliya unfortunately setting the Think Scale to 0% didn't prevent the time outs from occurring.  I will now checkout whether or not performance mode is setup.