DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Monitor unsupported SQL and Oracle servers

Posted Nov 29, 2021 10:42 AM
    Hi folks,
    We have unsupported operating systems and hence we have installed applications(unsupported) in those servers like SQL and Oracle databases in my production environment. So, my ask is that can we monitor unsupported applications by any chance using SNMP or any other probes? At least we want to monitor services of the applications. If possible please kindly suggest.

------------------------------
    Regards,

Eshwar

• 2.  RE: Monitor unsupported SQL and Oracle servers

Posted Nov 29, 2021 02:21 PM
    rsp and sql_response my fulfill the need.

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/GA/alphabetical-probe-articles/rsp-remote-system-probe/rsp-remote-system-probe-release-notes.html

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/GA/alphabetical-probe-articles/sql-response-sql-response-monitoring/sql-response-sql-response-monitoring-release-notes.html

• 3.  RE: Monitor unsupported SQL and Oracle servers

Posted Nov 29, 2021 02:26 PM
    Or logmon to run scripts locally or via rsh/wisql/plsql/etc.

• 4.  RE: Monitor unsupported SQL and Oracle servers

Posted Nov 30, 2021 12:19 AM
    Thank you for your suggestions David and Garin.

I have a doubt that sql_response and logmon probe monitor remotely or locally? If locally then we have to use agent but agent is not supported by platform.

Regards,

Eshwar

• 5.  RE: Monitor unsupported SQL and Oracle servers

Posted Nov 30, 2021 08:15 AM
    Eshwar,
    Looks like you are correct, the sql_response doesn't have a place to add the DB server name or IP.

• 6.  RE: Monitor unsupported SQL and Oracle servers

Posted Nov 30, 2021 12:30 PM
    I got an idea but I don't know how efficiently it works.  What I am thinking is that on the supported version of sqlserver if I install Db client and from there if I establish a connection to the Db then in the supported version of sql probe if I create a profile for my unsupported version so if the connection was established then can we monitor the unsupported version of DB? Is this way possible?

Regards,

Eshwar

• 7.  RE: Monitor unsupported SQL and Oracle servers

Posted Nov 30, 2021 12:51 PM
    It doesn't matter where the probe is running, unsupported is unsupported. You can still test it out, and see what you get. 

From the documentation:
    Supported Versions
    The sqlserver probe supports the following SQL Server versions:
    SQL Server 2012 (32 and 64 bit) including AlwaysOn Availability Groups support
    (From version 4.90) SQL Server 2014 (32 and 64-bit) including AlwaysOn Availability Groups support
    (From version 5.10) SQL Server 2016 (32 and 64-bit) including AlwaysOn Availability Groups support
    (From version 5.31) SQL Server 2017 (32 and 64-bit) including AlwaysOn Availability Groups support
    From April 2016 onward, Microsoft has discontinued the support for SQL Server 2005 version. Therefore, all enhancements that are done for version 5.0 or later are not supported for SQL Server 2005.