Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Milestones and % complete of a summary task

Posted May 24, 2013 11:57 AM
    I would like to have your confirmation about the following facts and whether are right or not

In a project with Calculation method= duration

We have a summary task with only daughter task which is a milestone
    we put the milestone at 100% (completed)
    we run the job update % complete
    but the summary task will never be completed due the milestone duration is 0 and the formula is only based in mathematics

Summary Task % Complete = Total Detail Task Duration Complete / Total Detail
    Task Duration

Is my understanding right or there is any way to force that?

Same summary task will be displayed as a milestone and at 100% complete, I suppose they use a different formula.

Which approach do you think is better to manage projects?

• 2.  RE: Milestones and % complete of a summary task

Posted May 27, 2013 02:56 AM
    Below is the explanation of Task %Complete as per the user guide:

% Complete Calculation Method
    Specifies the method for calculating the percent complete value for the project and tasks.
    Note: If you are using CA Clarity PPM with Microsoft Project or if your company uses an external job to calculate % Complete, select manual as the % complete calculation method.
    Values:
    ■ Manual. Use this method if you want to enter the percent complete for the project, summary, and detail tasks manually. The % Complete field is on the task properties page.
    ■ Duration. Use this method if you track percent complete based on duration. The duration is a measure of the total span of active working time for a task, based from the start date to the finish date of a task. With this method, you enter the % complete for the detail tasks. The % complete for summary tasks is automatically calculated based on the following formula:
    Summary Task % Complete = Total Detail Task Duration Complete / Total Detail Task Duration
    ■ Effort. Use this method to calculate the % complete for summary and detail tasks automatically based on the work units completed by resource assignments. The calculations are based on the following formulas:
    Summary Task % Complete = Sum of Detail Task resource assignment Actuals / Sum of Detail Task resource assignment Effort
    Detail Task % Complete = Sum of resource assignment Actuals / Sum of resource assignment Effort
    Note: If you assign a resource other than labor to a task and the % Complete Calculation Method field on the scheduling properties page is set to Effort, the effort and actuals for that resource are ignored in the calculation.

Default method of %Complete calculation is Manual

• 3.  RE: Milestones and % complete of a summary task

Posted May 27, 2013 03:50 AM
    Thanks Dipur,

Yes, I know the theory but I am interesting in know your opinion about milestones not affecting to % complete.

I think Clarity method has sense because duration is 0 but normal users who don't know the formula used expects milestones updating the summary task.
    And it is interesting to see how Ms Project has a different approach about milestones affecting %complete of summary tasks. :O

• 4.  RE: Milestones and % complete of a summary task

Posted May 27, 2013 04:39 AM
    Thanks for the update. :smile

I am not sure about MSP; but you are correct that in Clarity, it seems to be using the normal mathematical calculation, and since the calculation is based on duration, so, the Summary Task %Complete is staying as 0.
    So, in this case %complete is required to be updated forcefully.

Thanks,
    Dipanjan

• 5.  RE: Milestones and % complete of a summary task

Posted May 27, 2013 05:10 AM
    Are you running "Update % Complete" job ?

Update % Complete Job
    The Update % Complete job updates the percent (%) complete values whenever you change project or task data that affects the percent complete calculation. This job is only run if the % Complete Calculation Method is set to Duration or Effort. This is a field on the project scheduling properties page. You must schedule this job to update the percent complete values automatically.
    In addition, the following operations trigger this job to run:
    ■ Publishing the tentative schedule.
    See the Project Management User Guide for more information.
    ■ Posting actuals and distributing them to the project plan.
    This job is scheduled to run automatically every 30 minutes, but you can also run this job on demand.

Best Practice: Schedule this job to run recurrently at an appropriate interval, for example, every 10 minutes

NJ

• 6.  RE: Milestones and % complete of a summary task

Posted May 28, 2013 07:30 AM
    thanks navzjoshi00

"Update % Complete" job is scheduled on a daily basis, maybe it could be scheduled to run more times in a day, but I am not sure about 10minutes...
    how performance would be impacted scheduling it to run each 10 or 30 minutes?

In fact the thread is not about an issue but a personal question about what approach do you think is the best (Ms or CA)

navzjoshi00 wrote:

Are you running "Update % Complete" job ?

Update % Complete Job
    The Update % Complete job updates the percent (%) complete values whenever you change project or task data that affects the percent complete calculation. This job is only run if the % Complete Calculation Method is set to Duration or Effort. This is a field on the project scheduling properties page. You must schedule this job to update the percent complete values automatically.
    In addition, the following operations trigger this job to run:
    ■ Publishing the tentative schedule.
    ■ Posting actuals and distributing them to the project plan.
    This job is scheduled to run automatically every 30 minutes, but you can also run this job on demand.

Best Practice: Schedule this job to run recurrently at an appropriate interval, for example, every 10 minutes

NJ

• 7.  RE: Milestones and % complete of a summary task

Posted May 28, 2013 07:58 AM
    I am not quite sure about MSP, but as per the update from dapg, MSP is best in this particular case.

Dipanjan