Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Data for S Curve in Project Earned Value Report??

Posted Aug 19, 2019 10:00 AM
    Hello Team,
    I need some urgent help of now data calculated for S Curve in Project Earned Value Report?

I have checked the Report query where Cost data (Actuals, Planned and Earned value ) with periods to form Curve is coming from table Prj_env_history.
    There is one job - 'Update Earned Value History' who updates this table Prj_env_history but i am not able to understand the calculation for the cost data is created for different periods. Like i would like to know calculation for following data in Report.

Please help to get some idea on this.

• 2.  RE: Data for S Curve in Project Earned Value Report??

Posted Aug 20, 2019 10:25 PM
    The product documentation has the calculation details along with field mappings and prerequisites.
    https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm/15-6-1/en/advanced-reporting-with-jaspersoft/pmo-accelerator-advanced-reporting-content/project-management-reports/project-earned-value
    Going through it should give you a clear idea of how the numbers are calculated and help you setup the system appropriately, if that is your objective.

On the other hand, if you are trying to understand the fundamentals of Earned Value Management itself and what terms like CPI, SPI, ACWP etc mean how they are useful in measuring project performance, then that is separate course in itself :)

Purely from a tool perspective, setting up the system for Earned value is the  easy part, though it requires some configurations and you need to be familiar with the pre-requisites. It works fine if you are baselining your projects and using financials budgets.
    The real challenge is to ensure your PMs are capturing and mantainining project data in the right ways.

Lastly, a lot of the EV metrics are not very useful if your projects are Agile.

• 3.  RE: Data for S Curve in Project Earned Value Report??

Posted Aug 21, 2019 08:43 AM
    Hello Pratyush Prateek,

I already gone through that document and document calculations do not work for data that is capturing for S Curve. For S-curve data, they have one table (As shown in my earlier post) in last part of report which makes S-curve. This table data calculation i would like to know. Like this table shows Actuals of Future years also, even no actuals present in system. Also planned value i.e Actuals+ETC does not work for the period, it exists in table.

Please help me to get that calculations of that table data which makes S-Curve.

• 4.  RE: Data for S Curve in Project Earned Value Report??
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 21, 2019 09:51 PM
    I am not sure I understand your question.
    Are you saying that you are getting values for Actual Cost, EV and PV in the table below but the S-curve graph is not getting populated or that neither have values. If neither have values then this is most likely to do with your setup and/or not having run the Update Earend Value History job for a few periods.

• 5.  RE: Data for S Curve in Project Earned Value Report??

Posted Oct 21, 2019 10:27 AM
    @Pratyush Prateek

My question is how the Period wise data is calculated which is used to make S -curve. 
    There is one OOTB job - 'Update Earned Value History' that updates table prj_ev_history with period wise ACWP, BCWS and BCWP values.
    I would like to know how this job calculates period wise (time sliced data)data for AWCP, BCWP and BCWS. Could you please explain this to me? Suppose i have selected earned value period is Annually and project is running from 2014 to 2021 then how this job calculates the period wise value from 2014 to 2021?